Drug dogs and mushies

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms' started by BudGuy, Feb 4, 2009.

1. BudGuy

BudGuy Member

Are they trained to sniff them out or what?:cheers2:

2. Funkateer

Funkateer To swing on the spiral

as far as i know their not very permeable unlike weed so its easier to contain the smell
    I know they are thought of as safer than weed in a k9 situation

3. Archemetis

Archemetis Senior Member

nope. mushrooms are safe from the drug dog snout. their not trained to detect fungus, if they were they'd find it everytime the police took them outside.

4. salmon4me

salmon4me Senior Member

Yes dogs can and do sniff for shrooms. They can also train them to detect LSD, which should tell you that shrooms are mere child’s play for a dog.

5. Archemetis

Archemetis Senior Member

sure about that? sounds like a myth to me

6. pushit

pushit One jive Motha Fucka

Yeah that sounds like real bullshit.

7. deleted

deleted Visitor

Dogs and pigs (real PIGS) can be trained to sniff for truffles, which is a mushroom..
    Sorry Myth busted!!

8. A-Bear's-Vagina

A-Bear's-Vagina 2 Kings Chapter 2 23-24

While it is possible to train dogs to smell out mushrooms. It is not covered under standard drug dog training and is a rather lengthy process that invovles teaching dogs to smell several different genuses of mushroom and differeniating them from legal mushrooms. There are some, very few but some, dogs that are actively used to find mushrooms. The drug dog at the local station more likely than not, is unable to smell them.

9. Magical mystery tourguide

Magical mystery tourguide Senior Member

^^^
    Yeah that sounds more believeable to me.

10. Silverbackman

Silverbackman Member

The thing is, there are hundreds of species of mushrooms containing psilocybin mushrooms. Wildly differing species, including species belonging to a different genus than the psilocybe exist. Plus psilocybin mushrooms exist in so many habitats in the wild, so many false positives can be detected, especially in rural areas.

If certain dogs are trained to sniff for mushrooms I'm thinking it would be far less common.....and the dog would probably only be trained to detect more widely used species like cubensis. But I think as a rule most standard police dogs aren't trained to sniff for mushrooms.

It's the same principle with drug tests. Most drug tests don't test for shrooms but sometimes (more rarely) they do.

11. Archemetis

Archemetis Senior Member

i know they can be trained to, but police dogs arent.

12. PeaceAndRasta

PeaceAndRasta Senior Member

labs. are good smellers of mushrooms, but they dont use it to find shrooms,,

13. 311x

311x Member

lsd is odorless....

14. comradechristophe

comradechristophe Member

dogs can not detect shrooms or cid, period.
    as said before they would alert every second so its pointless to train them for mushrooms
    and for cid the dose is to small and the product emits no oder.
    a few years back while in college a chem buddy go ahold of pure crystal lsd, it had no smell what so ever and it was fucking sweet :)

yes dogs and pigs are trained to find truffles but thy have a very different smell than mushrooms even though they are a fungus too. If they trained to decet mushrooms every car coming home from the supermarket would be able to be alerted.

15. Stoned Philosopher

Stoned Philosopher Member

who cares if dogs and pigs can sniff out truffles? we wanna know if they can sniff out the good ones... and thats because truffles have a very distinct smell. and great. they can sniff out ONE type of mushroom, now theyve only got another 100 or so for the dog to learn to identify...

16. IDL

IDL Banned

Like someone here said that dogs aren't trained to smell all genuses of mushrooms, but couldn't they simply be trained to smell psilocybin? I think drugs drugs arew trained to detect mainstream drugs(psylocybin,thc,coke.heroin,) I dunno, I'm probably wrong.

17. trippedelia

trippedelia wow

definatly want a dog that can find them haha... my lovable pooch cant even find food thats behind him..

18. salmon4me

salmon4me Senior Member

I know for a fact that dogs CAN detect shrooms. It's certainly possible to train a dog to smell shrooms. Its actually theoretically possible to train a dog to smell for LSD as well.

But the question that yall really want the answer to is this...

ARE dogs trained to smell shrooms?

I am going to guess yes. I feel about 70% certain, for whatever that's worth.

19. trevtrex

trevtrex Member

Dogs can be trained to sniff out any breed of mushroom. They can also be trained to sniff out Lysergic Acid Diethylamide

".. the nose works like a pair of hands feeling the chemical structure and shape of a mollecule.

This shape gives it a smell, if any mollecule comes in to contact with your nose it can be sensed.

It's like our nose reading brail.

Unless LSD is actualy not real, and we've just been eating paper and imagining the trips it has a smell."

20. Andrew07

Andrew07 Member

Does distilled water have a smell?