Drop City

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by Psychedelic.Flower, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Psychedelic.Flower

Psychedelic.Flower Member

i checked it out at the library and i can't stop reading it! It's so good, can't wait to finish it. Does anyone know any other books similar to this book or the electric kool-aid acid test??

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

If you have never read TC Boyle before, you might want to wait on that part of the question.

Two books showing that world from the eyes of younger females are "Little Miss Strange" and "Life Without Water."

One book I keep meaning to track down again is "Home Comfort."
    It is about the formation and day to day life of a communal house in Vermont. It is nonfiction.

I always recommend associated books to On The Road and Kool Aid, "Off the Road" by Carolyn Cassidy and "Minor Characters," by Joyce Johnson. If you enjoy those, try "How I Became Hettie Jones," by Hettie Jones.

3. Frogfoot

Frogfoot Member

I was disappointed with the ending of Drop City, and really the 2nd half or so of the book... but still an interesting read.

I am not sure how close this comes to being similar in style or content, as I've yet to read it, but Siddhartha by Herman Hesse may fit the bill. Here is the description on the back cover of my copy:

In the novel, Siddhartha, a young man, leaves his family for a contemplative life, then, restless, discards it for one of the flesh. He conceives a son, but bored and sickened by lust and greed, moves on again. Near despair, Siddhartha comes to a river where he hears a unique sound. This sound signals the true beginning of his life - the beginning of suffering, rejection, peace and, finally, wisdom.

Another in the category of "may not be what you're looking for but perhaps consider it anyway" is Beautiful Losers by Leonard Cohen.

4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I often think TC writes half of a couple books, gets close to deadline and blends them. Kidding, but it is his trademark.

FWIW, I hate agatha Christie style endings, too.

5. hickey

hickey Member

Drop City to me was so-so. But for some real fun reading try "Budding Prospects". Here TC Boyle shows just how compelling and funny a story can be. In short its about some folks trying to make good on raising weed in Nor Cal. Try it...you'll like it.

6. Son of Incogneato

Son of Incogneato Member

I've pretty much read all of Boyle's work. I thought Drop City was a real page-turner. Budding Prospects was also good as HipLit. His first book, Water Music, is an over-the-top bash!