Drop City by T.C. Boyle

Discussion in 'Books' started by paix, Aug 17, 2005.

1. paix

paix Senior Member

Such a great book! It's about a commune in the 1970's, but it's not all "everything-was-great-and -everyone-was-happy", it's way more true to life. Amazing writing, great story, wonderful characters. Anyone else read it? I HIGHLY suggest it.

2. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

I've read it, and yes totally agree. A most excellent book.

3. Tribal Om

Tribal Om Member

I got totally lost in this book when I read it recently. T.C. Boyle did an excellent job in weaving together fact & fiction to create this incredible work. It's obvious throughout that plenty of research was done in creating Drop City from the histories of quite a few famous, now-defunct communes. From that, T.C. Boyle brought it to the next level. I highly recommend this book!

4. weep

weep Senior Member

5. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

I bought the book today, haven't read much yet but I'm enjoying it so far.

6. m6m

m6m Member

I'm only a few chapters into 'Drop City', and I'm already having problems with it.

After a really good introduction to life in 'Drop City', the story suddenly shifts for no apparent reason to some 'horny' goof out in the Alaskan Bush.

Is this related somehow, because I just don't see it, and so I started skiming over the last half of the tiring Alaska side trip.

7. paix

paix Senior Member

it's definatly related, you're gonna want to really read the Alaska stuff, it's really interesting, and the plot gets really deep. I'm suprised you see the character as "horny goof", I thought he was a really good guy, but to each his own :0)

8. m6m

m6m Member

Hi paix,

Well, Norm just anounced that they're all going to Alaska.

Ok, so I'll go back and re-read those last couple of Alaska chapters.

I thought the Alaska Cat was a weak ir-rational wussie-whipped punk.

He just meets this girl and he's already obsessing over her.

Bad sign!

Obsessed to the point where he stalks the other guys house where she's visiting, gets all frustrated, and then desires to kill that poor dog who does nothing more than detect his stalking presence.

The Girl would be a fool to trust such a weak emotionally high-strung Cat.

But he is obviously needy, and I know how you girls are drawn to needy Cats like moths to flames. LOL

9. paix

paix Senior Member

haha, this is true! I thought the same thing at first, "WARNING, WARNING, DO NOT DATE THE OBSSESIVE NEEDY GUY" lol, but it sort of sorts out, I promise :0) Are you enjoying the book any more now m6m?

10. m6m

m6m Member

I'm about 3/4 through 'Drop City'.

What I like about 'Drop City' so far is Boyle's accurate description of how utterly Rebelious we were then.

Not only that, but how totally conteptuous of Mainstream values we were then.

Back then, we recognized Mainstreamers as simply those slow to awaken from the Death-Drive Funeral-March of Hierarchical Civilization.

Boyle also reveals very accurately how We, having been raised in Hierarchical Civilization, were totally inept and unprepared to live effectively in a NON-Hierarchical Communal scene.

OK, so Boyle may be too cynical to relate the powerful and even magical idealism that permeated us back then.

And OK, his cynicism causes him to heap way too much contempt on both Mainstreamers and the Counter-Culture.

But how else can someone from these non-inspired times relate to those times, those experiences and those realities, except as a hindsight seen from the vantage of the pathetic failure that is TODAY.

11. Shineoncrazydiamond

Shineoncrazydiamond Member

I'm in the middle of reading this book right now! And I am totally involved in it!, Has anyone read any other T.C Boyle books, and if so, are they as good as Drop City? Or just books in relation to this one? Because I know I'm going to miss this book when I'm done with it!

12. GoingHome

GoingHome Further Within

I'm surprised so many people here liked this book!

I found it to be extremely negative towards the hippie lifestyle. I would even go so far as to recommend this book for uptight parents trying to inducrinate their kids about how miserable you'll be if you 'drop out'!
    Also, I found it a bit slow...
    I mean the plot just. plods. along, the same jealousies and trivial shit from page 44 to page 444. (yeah yeah yeah so Ronnie /"Pan" is jealous of Marco....we get the frigging idea...can you shake it up a bit???

I was sorely disappointed, really.
    And sad that I was sorely disappointed
    as I really wanted to like it!

13. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

that's TC. weird tangents, odd pacing.
    Tortilla Curtain had similar issues.

14. free2fly

free2fly Members

I found it to be just be an entertaining read. I liked his writing style. It kept my attention, (which is rather hard to do) and so I picked up a few of his other books last night at the library. But then again, I picked up a whole bag full of books... so I dont know which ones I'll read first... :D

15. ILoveMyGuitar

ILoveMyGuitar Member

I read it, probably in about 2 days. I loved it. In fact, I believe you suggested it to me, for which I am grateful.

Peace :)
    Kevin

16. paix

paix Senior Member

sounds like something I'd do :0) I'm so glad you liked it! It's been way too long since we talked, how are wedding plans coming? I'm gonna be up your way sometime this summer I think, I'll let you know when :0)

17. free2fly

free2fly Members

A few weeks ago I finished reading his book "A friend of the earth" ..... it was a bit difficult to follow along with at first (as drumminmomma said, odd pacing) but I got into it .... not so much as I was into Drop City, but, this book sends a strong message .. well anyways, its worth checkin out so thought Id tell you Boyle readers...

right now Ive just started reading his "East is East"

18. ILoveMyGuitar

ILoveMyGuitar Member

Yeah, you got me into some good books and some good music. Wedding plans are coming along. Almost 2 months to go, and I need to tell my groomsmen what they're wearing, and we need to make and send out the invitations. You definitely need to come up this way. Let me know when you do. We should talk more often anyhow.

Peace and Love,
    Kevin