DRM-free digital audio player: is there such a thing?

Discussion in 'Live Music Trading Post' started by SunLion, Dec 11, 2008.

1. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Almost all of the music on my hard drive is stuff you can't buy- Grateful Dead, bootleg shows, etc. It seems that all mp3 players require I-TUnes or some such crap. Is there such a thing as a player for freely-traded music? If so, I sure can't find one. Also, since I don't use MS Windows, it would need to be something that doesn't require special software. I just want a player to which I can move my files so my wife can listen during her wonderful chemotherapy sessions. The Man seems to say she must not have music without paying up.

Must I resort to burning it to CDs and playing it that way?

I hope this post comes across okay, I'm using a text-only browser (lynx) to post this...

2. luminarist

luminarist Member

I don't collect mp3's, I only collect lossless files, flac and shn, but here's a great little free player. Until recently I used Toast for my flac and I had to convert my shn files to wave to listen. Now I use cog

http://cogx.org/

.....it plays a lot of formats, including shn! , (and mp3) which is a major plus since it's become an obsolete lossless format.

Now I use toast for burning and archiving.

EDIT: I just realized when I looked again it's a mac app. Might be of use to someone around here.

peace