Drinking Rain

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by GoingHome, Jan 9, 2005.

1. GoingHome

GoingHome Further Within

Is this more dangerous than creek/ riverwater?
    Does it matter? I'm going camping in the rainy 'Redwood Area' of N Cali and S Oregon and water is heavy (to carry, not like philisophically or anything!:) )

2. purple-moss

purple-moss Member

Rainwater would be safer then surface water.

Surface water will have micorganisms and you never know what was dumped into the water up stream or what was pick up by it. There could be some pollution in the rain water (very minor amount) if you are worried a simple carbon filter can remove it.

3. noland

noland Member

My dad was a river guide for about 10 years and just recently stopped guiding. He always carried a bottle that had a a screen and a charcoal filter built into it. It was really convenient because he just drank river water instead of carrying water with him. You could always get one of those, but I can't remember the name of the company that makes them. I'm sure you could check online and find them quite easily.

4. hippieken

hippieken Member

rain....good

5. NEMISIS

NEMISIS GONE

rain water is fine, it has a neutral Ph

6. yovo

yovo Member

it's best to wait out the first 5 or 10 minutes because any solid polutents which have settled lower in the atmosphere will fall first, just wait for the real fresh stuff and then it's safe

7. RoBoWaLkEr

RoBoWaLkEr Member

Go for it...unless you live in downtown LA. Yummy.

8. DrDooblittle

DrDooblittle Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

if you want to collect rain, try this........ get like a big piece of plastic, and tie it up between a few trees. then put something to weigh down the center, but not too much, like maybe a rock, in the center of it. then poke a hole in the plastic and put your water bottle or whatever underneath the hole, when it rains, the water will run downward towards the rock and to through the hole into your water bottle.

9. GoingHome

GoingHome Further Within

thanks everyone!

these tips should help me enjoy the Redwoods better!!!

10. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I would imagine it would be fine... you can get tablets at a camping store that purify water if you're worried...

11. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

those really aren't very good for you though, or so i hear

12. DrDooblittle

DrDooblittle Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

yeah id just buy the purifying pump that most camping outlets sell. its like $50 bucks and can pump something like a liter every minute, and if your worried about weight, they are about 11 ounces and are very slim, which is good for backpacking.

13. GoingHome

GoingHome Further Within

I think I'm going to get this bottle that cleans the water as you fill it.
    It's like 20 dollars w/ replacement filter!

14. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

The bottles with the built in filter only work for removing pollutants,and sediment. They don't kill or remove microorganisms such as cryptosporidia and girdia. Aqua-pure tablets and Polar Pure drops do kill microorganisms and there are many quality pump type water purifiers available. I highly reccomend that you treat surface water unless you are good at "reading" a water source. Look for lots of plant life and newts in the water. If you can see the source(ie a spring coming right out of the ground) you should be allright. You don't want to get giardia. Just imagine your worst case of diarrhea and times that by 10. BTW: Giardia can take you out for weeks at a time. I this case an ounce of prevention is more than worth a pound of cure. Doctor prescribed antibiotics are the ONLY cure for giardia. If you'd like to get more info and advice on hiking check out

www.whiteblaze.net (i post on this site from time to time.

www.trailjournals.com

for great deals on gear

www.campmor.com

Are you planning to get out on the PCT(Pacific Crest Trail)?

Enjoy and Happy Hikin'!

15. GoingHome

GoingHome Further Within

Thanks for the advice everyone!!
    AT98booboo...
    The Pacific Crest Trail seems a little much for me, I'm rather new to this
    and want to start off slow. I didn't know that about the filter-type bottles
    AND about the "reading" of water sources though, very interesting.
    Thanks again!

16. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

Going Home...If you are interested in getting into long distance hiking I would suggest starting with the Appalachian Trail. The PCT takes alot more preparation and planning than a thru-hike of the AT. The PCT is pretty isolated so you have to rely on maildrops most of the time. You have to carry alot of water in the southern part and you may need crampons and an ice ax in some sections. PCT hikers also need to be well practised in self-arresting with an ice ax.
    Oh yeah if you like I'll send you directions for making an alcohol burning beer can stove. It only weighs 2 oz and has its boil time is only 2-3 minutes slower than a whisperlite or peakone. If you don't have a tent yet I'd reccomend the Eureka Zeus Exo 2. It weighs in at 3 lbs 10 oz, is free standing and sets quickly and easily.

Enjoy!

17. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

"Reading" a water source is an art. However if the water is coming right out of the ground and you're not in an area with lots of agriculture you should be just fine. As for water filters, try to stay away from PUR. I'd recomend MSR waterworks. It has a reuseable filter but it's ceramic so don't let it freeze.

Socks.... Sock liners are useless..... I wear two of socks pair on each foot. Smartwools are by far the best hiking sock.

Check out www.whiteblaze.net for more info and advice. Alot of my trail friends post on there. Just tell 'em BooBoo sent ya.

18. GoingHome

GoingHome Further Within

I checked out a few filters and purifiers and came to the conclusion that there is NO method better than boiling! The purifiers that I saw all said that they were NOT to be used for extended periods (iodine/goiters etc) and the filters still left bacteria and such in the water.

Crazy huh? So instead of buying a filter/purifier for $149.99(!!!) I should just build a freakin' stick fire( cheap) and boil it!

Any one find fault with this approach?

19. dodgebus

dodgebus Member

Make sure you boil the water for 15+ mins and all should be good. What I have done is at night when makeing food boil the next days water, that way when you want to drink it is not so hot. Ummmm ummm lake water!!