Drinking hot beverages...in plastic cups...bad?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Midget, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Midget

Midget Senior Member

When I'm at home, I almost always drink tea, coffee, etc...out of a glass mug. Just today, I read something about how drinking out hot beverages out of plastic mugs was bad for you. Is it? What do you guys think? I usually dump stuff in a plastic mug if I'm goign somewhere, but if it's bad for you, I'm gonna pay for the extra cost for a stainless steel travel mug, or some other alternative. What do y'all think?

2. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

yup, it's bad. full of nasty hormone disrupting xenoestrogens. nalgene bottles are especially bad, even for cold bevvies. go for something inert that people have been using for a loooong time, like glass or clay. i use glass bottles to carry water around with me, and havent had any breakage problems yet.

3. Midget

Midget Senior Member

Hmm...interesting. Everyone talks about how Nalgene bottles are great lol.

4. thehipsterdufus

thehipsterdufus Member

even some stainless steel travel mugs are lined with plastic

they're harder to find, but I use porcelin -lined thermoses

5. Midget

Midget Senior Member

I've seen some that have no plastic lining on the inside...just all stainless steel.

6. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

HAHA, yes, totally indestructable and they come in fantastic colours, but they'll make you sterile and give you cancer!!

I've got a couple of all stainless steel coffee mugs. they're okay i guess, but of course they have plastic lids. :rolleyes: i got them for my kiddo to use as sippy cups when he used to spill everything all the time.

i suppose if you wanted to use something traditional and very interesting in looks, that you could go for a yerba mate gourd. people have been using gourds to hold food and liquids for a lonnnnnnnnng time. i doubt that there would be any health risks in using them, anyways.[​IMG]

7. Midget

Midget Senior Member

lol...usually I take the lid off my stainless steel mugs if I'm just drinking out it and not moving around a lot. Nalgene bottles sound like the devil now. :p I'm gonna have to do some research. :p

8. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

Nalgene bottles aren't bad. They're a special kind of plastic that doesn't seep.

9. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

nalgene bottles are made out of polycarbonate and, yes, they do leach.

Do a google for polycarbonate and xenoestrogen. you'll find a lot of information...

10. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

11. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

Aw man...I travel like eight months of the year. I don't know what to use for water. Thanx tho

12. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

you know the glass bottles that minute maid juice comes in? i've been using one of those in my daypack for almost a year, and it hasnt broken yet. there's a little bit of plastic lining in the lid, but not much.

or stainless steel, it's inert and it definitely doesnt break.

i dont trust the 'safer' plastics that havent been proven to leach yet. they're not required to do studies on stuff like that, so i dont gamble my health on it. if a material has been used by humans for food storage for centuries or even millenia then i figure that it's probably okay to use.

13. Crystaleyez

Crystaleyez Member

Thanks nimh I'll try it.

14. nimh

nimh ~foodie~