Dressing for Bare Feet

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by barefootjaime, Jan 9, 2010.

1. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

Do you think that going barefoot affects the way you dress? Are certain styles of dress more appropriate with bare feet?

For example, ever since I stopped owning shoes I no longer wear jackets in the winter because I think it would look plain silly. If it's really cold I will just double-up and wear a sweatshirt with a t-shirt underneath.

How do you dress when you are barefoot?

Most of the year I just wear beach shorts and a t-shirt. During the colder months I wear fleece pants or pajama pants with a sweatshirt or hoodie.

In my humble opinion I think it looks silly when someone (especially an older person) wears a collared shirt and dress pants and/or is otherwised dressed professionally but is barefoot. It's a total contradiction.

2. txbarefooter

txbarefooter Senior Member

in the cooler months it is jeans, a pullover or long sleeve t-shirt with another t-shirt over it with barefeet. in the summer shorts, t shirt and barefeet

I agree with the professional look and barefeet

3. DazedGypsy

DazedGypsy fire

i think a pair of bare feet look great with any attire :D

4. TipsyGypsy

TipsyGypsy Light of a Fading Star

I love long scruffy jeans with barefeet, or a long flowing skirt.

5. kazuya5611

kazuya5611 Member

At various points in time, professional dress has included hats and/or gloves. Do you see a contradiction in wearing professional attire bareheaded or barehanded? The assumption behind seeing a contradiction seems to be that barefooting is only appropriate in certain (casual) situations.

Having said that, I don't barefoot at work, so I tend to dress casually when I am barefoot. However, I would hate to limit myself to the "barefoot = casual" paradigm.

6. DazedGypsy

DazedGypsy fire

tis true..
    i used to sit at my old desk at work barefoot :D

7. bftEd

bftEd Member

Shorts and a T shirt are best, but in cold weather, jeans and a sweatshirt work. I agree with not limiting our options but if barefoot is OK, who needs the dress clothes!!

8. Barefoot-boy

Barefoot-boy Member

Blue jeans, t-shirt and a hooded sweatshirt for winter months. Otherwise t-shirts and jeans. Bare feet and jeans just seem to look right together.

9. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

Well I remember seeing an old guy one time in a suit and bare feet. Even wearing dress pants and a collared shirt with bare feet looks ludacris to me. And who am I to talk?...lol Not saying it can't be done. It just looks as silly as wearing a thick winter coat with bare feet. I would tend to be embarrased to hang out with anyone who dressed this way.

Then again, that's only MY opinion. We're all entitled to have one...lol

10. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

I had an older dude ask me one time about going barefoot. He told me he admired the fact that I go everywhere barefoot. He told me he would do it too if he was my age. He was worried what others would think about someone in their 50s/60s going around barefoot.

I pointed out Jimmy Buffett. He is in his 60's and still pulls off the barefoot look. How is this possible? Because he dressed like a beachbum. Barefooting just goes hand in hand with the whole beachbum look.

[​IMG]

11. DazedGypsy

DazedGypsy fire

i don't think of barefooting it as any fashion statement.. i don't think there's any "pulling off" bare feet!

12. charlie35

charlie35 Member

I kind of know what you mean, Jaime, but really I adamire anyone who has the courage to go barefoot, whatever else they may be wearing. My preferred garb is cammy trousers (or shorts in summer) and "normal" dress on top ie anything from nothing in the hight of summer to many layers and an overcoat in winter. I seriously believe that if you are attired appropriately on the rest of your body then you can be barefoot whatever the weather (I have just come in from a 40 minute barefoot walk through deep snow and slush and feel fine as I was dressed for winter otherwise). Keep 'em bare. Charlie.

13. charlie35

charlie35 Member

PS Re yr last post I am in my 50's and frankly don't give a sh*t...if you are a free spirit, age doesn't matter!!!

14. seohsreven

seohsreven Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I respectfully disagree categorically and also mildly resent the ageist implications of your statement.

Bare feet look extraordinarily classy with formal or business attire. The association with bare feet solely with "beach bum" attire is just as much a societal prejudice as the disdain shown for bare feet in general. Furthermore, the association of bare feet as most appropriate for youth and only appropriate for "older" people in certain circumstances is both ageist and, by implication, anti-barefoot. (not to say that you're anti-barefoot, barefootjaime; only the attitudes implied)

15. StraightToes

StraightToes N/A

My personal feeling is that a "clean" appearance is important if you want to be accepted when barefoot, at least in the U.S.. I don't mean stylish clothes, etc., but rather at least look "sane and in-control" for lack of a better definition. Last year I saw a barefoot guy who had the complete grunge thing going on. I won't go into detail, but it was bad. I'm sure when he entered a shop, the store owner would be suspicious of him whether he was wearing shoes or not. I really thought it painted a bad picture of a "barefooter." Personally, I'm not a "snazzy" dresser, but I think I give the impression I've got money to spend if they're willing to allow me in their store. Most of the time I'm wearing a t-shirt and shorts, but at least I've showered and shaved (no offense to those with beards and mustaches). Intellectually, looks shouldn't matter, but the reality is....

16. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

I think I may have overstepped my bounds here (excuse the pun) by putting my opinion out there, but hopefully you all can respect it, even if you don't agree with it. Even though going barefoot attracts attention in and of itself. I try to not attract more attention by dressing "formal" or by hanging out with others who do. I dress like a hippie / beachbum and even though people will still scoff at my lack of shoes, I just assume they will think "He's a beach bum and/or hippie" so it's understandable that he's barefoot.

I guess I will let it at that and not try to start a flame war about it. Like I said before. It's only MY humble opinion, which does not make it right, it just makes it my own.

17. bftEd

bftEd Member

I think in societies outside of the US, that barefeet and being well dressed are not disconsonant. In the US, it is an uphill battle at best at anytime, and I agree wih Jaime - it appears better when dressed casually - definitely a societal prejudice though. By the way, it should not matter how old you are or how big or small your feet are (see another recent thread about this).

18. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

Let me just put it straight. I am younger than some of you on this forum. I am in college and in-the-know. If you care at all what girls or other younger people like me think.... trust me, if you walk around dressed up all proper combined with barefoot, everyone WILL laugh at you, even the hippies. But then again, you may not care. That was my whole point to this thread. Take it or leave it.

19. Rugged_Soles

Rugged_Soles Member

This has certainly been a thought provoking discussion. My personal opinion on the mater is entirely my own.
    I dress for comfort. I'm more comfortable barefooted. In the winter I'm more comfortable in a thick coat and will happily snowfoot on the trails bundled up with free toes. In the summer no shirt at all is often more comfortable. I try and keep an open, non-judgemental attitude and hope others will as well. Some of the fashion I see from younger guys isn't very practical in my humble opinion. (The sagger pants you need to hold up to walk in for example) To each his own. Hopefully the barefoot running movement will demonstrate to the masses the practicality of barefooting.

20. People in the U.S. have an astonishing self-proclaimed right to tell you what's on their mind. Going barefoot is unusual behavior, merely by the numbers. People here believe they have the right to let others know how displeased they may be about something. By all means, have an opinion, however that may be formed. But on the street or in a store or some other public venue---do everybody a favor and shut up!