Dreads!?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Nellybabeee, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Nellybabeee

Nellybabeee Member

Hi everyone!
    So lately I've been told dreads would suit me & I really can't tell you how happy that makes me. I've always loved them. There's just something natural about them that catches my eye.
    So does anyone know of a natural way to grow out dreads?
    Hope someone can help!

Much love ~ :love:

2. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

Check out the Dreadlock forum on here.

C/S,
    Rev J

3. eatlysergicacid

eatlysergicacid Creep in a T-Shirt

The most natural way to grow dreadlocks is to stop brushing and conditioning your hair and give it plenty of time to lock itself up, ripping the hair apart into the sections you want. These type of dreads tend to be the most unique and interesting since they form somewhat randomly, albeit quite slowly, depending on your hair type.

There are also methods of starting dreads which can speed the process and allow you a bit more choice over how they look and what sizes they are, but these can be damaging to hair, and depending on the type of hair you have, they may end up falling out anyway before dreading themselves over time.

This has been my experience with twist and rip for the most part. I'd say ten or fifteen of the dreads I originally tnr'ed stayed in and are now mostly mature 9 months later, but the rest of my hair mostly unraveled itself from the locks I had put in and have since matured in their own way sectioning off and knotting up slowly. That said though, I have extremely fine and thin hair which seems to be resistant to dreading.

4. Nellybabeee

Nellybabeee Member

Thank you guys! :)

Much love ~~~

5. MamaAfrica

MamaAfrica Banned

You have to have true African blood in you to grow dreads, but white people can get what my brother calls "hobo dreads" lol

6. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

UTTER CRAP...Dreads Have Been Around Since Adam And Eve,

At Some Time Or Another Every Race, Every Colour, Every Religion,

Every Creed, Has Had Dreads.

Do Some Serious Reserach Before You Post This Bullshit...[​IMG].

Cheers Glen.

7. Reverand JC

+1

Sadhus in India get dreads, Scots had dreads, Vikings had dreads, and Glen being Aussie don't Aborigine's get dreads too and my lilly white ass has dreads.

To me Mama Africa's statement is ignorant, racist and reeks of pseudo continentism (I think that I just made up a word) that is just as bad as being Euro-centric.

C/S,
    Rev J

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Dreads have been around a long time before shampoo was invented even ;)

9. Reverand JC

Too bad she bailed. I just realized that the oldest human remains on Earth were found in Africa. That means that we all have African blood in us.

C/S,
    Rev J

10. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I was considering making a thread about how I'm a true AFRICAN, and all about my struggles to return people to AFRICA.

Though of course the reality is most of us are Homo sapiens, while she's a rather excellent example of Trollus vulgaris -- the common troll.