Dreads vs Career?

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by amybird, Feb 4, 2009.

1. amybird

amybird Senior Member

Where do you all draw the line when it comes to you hair potentially limiting your job prospects? I don't mean like whether or not Burger King will employ you, obviously. But say you've been studying medicine or one of those biggies for the past 7 years and are suddenly faced with the fact your dreads may jeopardise your future in that respect?

Personally, I have a very black and white view of it, inasmuch as I have no interest in working for people who put my hair before my qualifications. I think it's ludicrous, especially when considered against such social progress as has been made re all sorts of minorities fighting for equal rights. It just doesn't compute in my mind at all, I draw a total blank when trying to figure it out.
    Then again I've never had a massive lifelong ambition to do something that I would see as far more important than "just hair", as might be the case for some.

2. Dragonvine

Dragonvine I do Glass

I'd agree with you, if people are going to judge you theres no point in working there.

I'm studying ceramics and glass, so I'll be my own boss hopefully. But anyway, most people in the arts have open minds, and don't judge, so theres no problem there.

I think the main problem with these biggy careers is the fact that they know nothing about dreads. The medicinal areas think they are dirty and could pass diseases or something stupid like that. I think the emergency services would be alright with 'em.. I dunno lol. Depends xD

It all depends on the people you're working with, or will be working with, or the area of expertees. Certain areas attract different types of people. I wanted to be a zoo keeper or work with animals in zoos and conservation places. I don't think they would have minded about my dreads, because they are the sort of people who care about nature, the environment and all creatures in it- just like us xD

I don't think I'm explaining my self very well lol but if you get what I mean, awesome xD

3. amybird

amybird Senior Member

If they'll employ Vince Noir and Howard Moon, I think they'll employ anyone :p

4. ThePmiester

ThePmiester Member

I look at it like this, if you have an issue of dreads in the workplace, then your employer will have an issue, act confidently and show your competence :)
    I haven't been to any interviews since I started my journey, although I did work in a health food shop, completely natural stuff... it was heaven :)

5. Dragonvine

Dragonvine I do Glass

Haha xD

Y'know those two started off in High Wycombe ;D They met at the theatre opposite my uni :D

6. Callie4Strings

Callie4Strings Official Spokes Bitch

I think if you present yourself in a professional manner then most employers will look past it. Like tie them bad boys back . But if you roll in there looking like you just smoked a blunt in your micro-bus out in the parking lot...then it could be a problem. My problem isnt my hair..but my tats and piercings...I think.
    I too am thinking of ways I can work from home. I would just prefer not to deal with the bullshit.

7. tannaleigh

tannaleigh Member

I was hired before my dreads. I work in a nursing home serving food to the elderly. They saw me go through the terrible stages... but I always pulled them back. I keep them in braids now when I am at work and nobody has a bother.. mostly I get compliments.

I also have 0g tunnels. and even then they don't mind. Although I generally wear plugs so they don't look too sccary to the residents.

Really... a hair style is a hair style.

8. Callie4Strings

Callie4Strings Official Spokes Bitch

Funny thing....I have piercings everywhere but my ears.....odd

9. Smelly D

Smelly D The Dreaded Plumber

very much agreed =]

10. pypes

pypes Hot alien babes

Just be the best person for the job, if they don't want to hire you because of your hair then you probably don't want to work for them, IMHO.

11. dreadedsunflower

dreadedsunflower Senior Member

I'm worried about that going into physical therapy

12. wastingthedawn

wastingthedawn *~Pure Light~*

I feel like if you can carry yourself with a level of professionalism and clean up as much as possible for work then it should not have so big an effect. I realise sometimes it does either way, but I think people can often get past it. :)

13. hax

hax Member

Yeah, thats really a question that all of us have to face sometime, im currently going to college to be a mechanical engineer, and ill be damned if the company that i go to work for is so stuck up and set in their ways that they say no to dreads, i guess if worse comes to worse i could always just say that im rasta and its part of my religion ;)

14. dreadedsunflower

dreadedsunflower Senior Member

lol perfect idea

15. mandyland

mandyland Senior Member

Ive had much experience with this issue because up untill last year I was never happy in one place for too long and would quit 6 months into a job and then have to get a new one. With my first set of dreads....they were down to my mid back *sigh [major regrets cutting those beauties off]...I went on many interviews and they never affected me getting hired. Strangely enough the only two places I was ever rejected from getting a job because of my dreads was a health food store and Yosemite National Park! Both places had a no dread policy. Looking back I probablly could of fought that and raised some serious hell....but....I suppose Im too much of a pacifist. So, anyways, as already mentioned, as long as you are confident about yourself, are qualified for the job, keep your dreads clean and as neat as possible....you can do anything! Well...except work for Yosemite and Sunrise Natural foods...damn them. =]

16. chemigals

chemigals They call me Chemi

I worked in catering for ages before I had dreads, then I quit my job basically lazed about for a bit got dreads and thought shit will I get a kitchen job again?I thought ppl would be unwilling to employ me, But yeah I got 2 jobs in kitchens with dreads so it just goes to show that you never know?

17. pbfanatic321

pbfanatic321 Member

i was thinking this same thing as well. if people see you with dreads they automatically think you are a joke.

18. phil316k

phil316k Banned

I went to job interviews worrying about mydreads and those are the jobs i didnt get, but when i was positive i got the job, and now i've just had my 3rd day in my new job and its going well i think.... some of you guys might remember my thread about this subject about 3 or 4 months ago lol....

having said that though, if i found my dream job and my dreads stood in the way or if i was desperate for money and needed to cut, I would and as much as I love my dreads i wouldnt regret it... hair or a career?

19. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

i never cared for jobs or money, but have worked in offices and run non proffits on the board of directors, id often have to meet witjh politicians and wealthy supporters
    when i worked in the office i was managing 200+ web designers, and would meet with the heads of virtualy every non proffit org in the city, including extrewmely conservative relifgios based ones
    dreads had never been a problem at alli do preffer working for myself howevcer ands always will

20. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

I'm an artist and a singer, and do not care for money either. I care for happiness and success^-^my hair gives me a happiness and my soul drives me to work for success.both go hand in hand.i would feek bad cutting off my hair for work.I am my own person,I make my own path,so I can be whatever I want to be and do whatever I want to do.I'd rather have my dreads then work in some snobby place which wouldn't accept them.