Dreadlock Starter?

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by VeganChick, Apr 22, 2007.

1. VeganChick

VeganChick Member

So I've been reading about how horrible many dreadheads think wax is...

I have really fine silky hair...so I was wondering if you all had some ideas on what I can use when I start my dreads, in lieu of wax.

I'm just afraid that by themselves, they won't be very happy for a long, long time...

2. Slang

Slang Banned

I have fine/silky thin hair - it came out great just backcombing. 7 weeks and it's already tightening. no wax.

3. knotdirty

knotdirty Over the Rainbow

Sea salt/lemon juice/water. Spritz, soak, settle, rinse.

4. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

If you want to backcomb, then you should do that, other than that just wash your hair with a residue free shampoo and leave it alone, it will knot up, no matter what, I have yet to see anyone who followed this advice not end up with locks, you just must have patience, lots and lots of patience.

5. Scorpius

Scorpius Member

Having lotsd of patience is doing natural (sucks lol)

6. knotdirty

But as it's been said here before...whether you backcomb or go natural the end result takes about the same amount of time. Usually when you backcomb (unless you're a freak like Lucy. ;)) your dreads fall out before they REALLY start to knot up.

Backcombing process looks like less of a mess, though. And the dreads look like dreads right away...just not for long. Usually. Every person's different. Some of my dreads stayed awesome and kept tightening, but most of them loosened up and had to reconfigure.

It all takes loads of patience. :)

7. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

LOL!! :):)
    that made me so happy, knotdirty!!

8. knotdirty

:D yay!

You have magnificent dreads. They're exactly how I'd like mine to look (my locks are abouuuut the same age as yours I think...developmentally they're behind yours though.) in a few months.

Course whatever my hair does is cool.

9. lunatic_on_the_grass

lunatic_on_the_grass Member

ive had my dreads for over 2 years now, and the bottoms of some are still just loose hair.