dread locks

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by ThrftShopSweater, Jan 13, 2005.

1. ThrftShopSweater

ThrftShopSweater Member

hey!

i think im going to dread my locks! but i wanna do it gradually so my P and M dont notice.. how did u all dread-heads do it?

2. paix

paix Senior Member

I just decided to do the same kinda thing, what I've done is stopped using conditioner and stopped brushing my hair, we'll see how it works out.

Don't use a shampoo with scents in it, that's gonna lock in there and be no good, and anything that leaves residue is no good, maybe start washing your hair with Dr. Bronner's bar soap or something.

I've decided also to wrap up the dreadies that start up with hair wraps, starting at the base of my hair and working out (cause for me they always start at the base)

Check in the dread forum for more info though, good luck :)

3. intercityvisionary

intercityvisionary Member

peace..I have about three feet of "loc'd" hair and remember yer hair will lock in the middle never the roots from which they grow..
    if your hair is very straight you can use little bees wax to hold them or stylin' gel...keep you hair clean but you can either twist them or just let motha nature do her thing...however sooner or later as they grow..the "rents" are going to notice...
    might as well be prepared for the commits...:p

4. knottynikko

knottynikko Member

Dont WAX OR GEL,use aloe and lemon juice.works for me. ;)

www.knottylocks.tk good site. :sunglasse

5. mellow_hendrix

mellow_hendrix Member

u have to show a pic of ur locks :)

6. jennifericous

jennifericous Member

i did mine a little at a time. but it was the biggest mistake i ever made.... i love dreads and i do love my dreads BUT. my bf got his done by an african lady all at once and they are so much cooler. mine aren't seperated properly so they get all knotted and stuck together. it sucks i have to spend some time every morning pulling them apart and seperating them. also your such a pretty girl and i think dreads will look great on you also i recommend bleaching your hair reeeeallly blonde before hand that would really suit you. and makes them easier to dread. P and M? mum and dad? well my parents hated my bf's dreads but then i went to holland for the summer and came back with them, well they've grown to love them!

go for it embrace the dreads i love them!

7. nattywraps

nattywraps Member

my mom likes my dreads better than my old hair. she says it matches me better