dread issues!

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by jennifericous, Jan 15, 2005.

1. jennifericous

jennifericous Member

do any of the black people on these boards think its ok for white people to have dreads? i was just wondering because i met this woman in a coffeeshop in amsterdam and she was asking me why i had dreads and did i know what they represent and was i insulting her culture? is it offensive for a white person to have dreadlocks?but on the whole the black guys who sell drugs in the red light district loved me, they used to call me lil rasta or blonde rasta. that was nice.

and also an aside- does anyone know how to bleach dreadlocks? or what kinda dye to use? i have no clue!

2. moonshyne

moonshyne Approved by the FDA

No matter how you dress or what you look like it, you're always gonna find someone out there who is offended by anything you do. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. :)

I wouldn't know how to dye them. Most everyone I know dyed their hair before dreading it, and it seems like it would be a bitch to get all those chemicals out of your dreads afterwards. Sorry I can't be of any help there. :(

3. PhluffHead 4

PhluffHead 4 Member

Ive seen the same amount of white people with dreads as I have black people. Dont worry about it dreads are sweet no matter what color your skin is.

4. Tamee

Tamee naked

I say do what you want...always

5. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

Do what you want, who cares what it means to someone else. Should you not be allowed to wear your hair how you want because someone else think you can only do it blah, blah, blah? It's not like anyone owns a hair style.

6. nattywraps

nattywraps Member

considering that if you just stopped doing anything to your hair they would turn into dreadies eventually... I think that it's stupid for someone to ask you not to wear your hair natural....

Like the pic says:
    [​IMG]

7. toolmaggot

toolmaggot Nuts Go Here.

If black people get mad at you for having dreads, tell them that you do, in fact, understand what they represent. They represent a completely natural hairstyle. I'm sure you're not trying to upset rastafarians, who believe that locks are their "antennae to Jah". Some Rasta purists tend to be a little tetchy with that. >_> I'm white (okay, fine, half arab) and I have dreadlocks.

As for bleaching them, I've bleached my dreads multiple times.. I re-dye my locks every month or so.. the same color gets rather boring, love the change. :p Use any bleach kit, really.. The only problem is, depending on how locked they are, it can be really hard to get all the bleach out. Not to worry, though.. if you rinse it out REALLY good, you should be able to get nearly all of it out. And what's left will rinse out over the next couple times you wash your hair.

Peace, Love, and Nappyness.

8. RainbowCat

RainbowCat Senior Member

also, it can be better todye your hair before because then it can get in all the creveces, nad hard to get places, that way it's evenly distributed, also.
    oh, and i would say not to be worrried about what people say. unless it actually DOES mean somthing in their culture (african,jamacain, whatever), and i guess at the most you need to know what it represents or whatever
    but even that doesnt metter, because who cares. its no big deal. if you like them, get them

9. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

ÐrëåЊ Ðöñ'† håvë å Þrëƒërëñ©ë öƒ ©ö£ör. JëŠüŠ ©hîrŠ† måñ

10. positive vibes

positive vibes Member

why do you want to die them, maybe a lil bit of colour. I just let mine be.

11. jennifericous

jennifericous Member

thanks guys!

how helpful. i don't let it bother me, i was just wondering if it was offensive to some black or rastifarian people.
    plus i already have dreads for 6 months and i WUV them. so basically i can just use any bleach set? i cant wait i want them really blonde and then im gonna dye them red so that they turn orange! woo hoo!

12. PhluffHead 4

PhluffHead 4 Member

Put some beads in them :)

13. goldmund

goldmund Member

There is good evidence that the rastas who popularized dreads in the 1950s (rastas before then did not have dreads, only beards like HIM) borrowed the look from Indian saddhus that were present on the island of Jamaica as it was a British colony. Also, some rasta communes resembled many aspects of the Indian ashram, and lets not forget ganja, an Indian import, used mostly by Indians in Jamaica, until the 1950s.

14. toolmaggot

toolmaggot Nuts Go Here.

hey, dude... o_o I dyed mine red... crimson.. and they ended up orange. what a co-inky dink. Then again, my hair turns orange when I just bleach it anyway... I dyed them again today. Scarlet with purple tips. ^_^ it's purty. Yeah, you can use just any bleach set. But a good way to ensure getting as much bleach out of your hair as you can... when you're rinsing the bleach out, rinse all the excess away... then flip your head upside down and let the water run down them, then wring them out, then let the water get into 'em again, and repeat.. kind of like rinsing out a sponge, you know? And if you don't get every little bit out, it'll come out next time you wash it.

15. easyskankin

easyskankin Member

ive had mine for about 5 months now... its very rural here so there are no black people around. My black friends are cool with it though...