Drawstring skirt question

Discussion in 'Clothes' started by oneswirlygrrl, May 14, 2007.

1. oneswirlygrrl

oneswirlygrrl Member

Hi everyone!

I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice. I just made my first hippie skirt, which I love, except for one problem. I made the drawstring (but didn't cut the fabric on the bias) and there is absolutely NO give. So if I tie it tight enough to stay up, it cuts into me. I really don't like having anything tight around my waist or hips at all.

My question is, does cutting the fabric on the bias make a HUGE difference, or would it be a good idea to add a bit of elastic to the back to create more give?

2. sweetersappe

sweetersappe Member

I really don't like to wear drawstring skirts. I had a bad untying experience once. :& Anyway, I just use elastic and make a fake tie. It's cheating, I know, but I'm lazy.

3. oneswirlygrrl

oneswirlygrrl Member

AGH! I've been there. lol. I just can't stand the tightness usually associated with elastic alone. Also, I seem to have enough of a fluctuating waist size that something is comfortable one day, tight two days later, and the following week, it's falling off. I just make sure I tie them securely, but in a bow instead of a knot. ;)

4. mitten_kitten

mitten_kitten daisymae

What you can do is make an elastisized drawstring so it has some give. A piece of elastic with fabric on each end to tie with. When you thread it through your casing, it looks just like a regular drawstring because the elastic is hidden.

5. Caelynn

Caelynn Yellow Butterfly

i really like that idea mitten_kitten :) i might have to try that out sometime!

6. oneswirlygrrl

oneswirlygrrl Member

Thanks! [​IMG] Here I was, thinking I had to do some sort of split casing or something. Of course, this way is much to easy to have occured to me. lol. I'll let you know how it works when I have the chance to test it. (My mom has the sewing machine, because we're making a quilt for my nephew's birthday this weekend.)

Thanks again!