Downtuned acoustic

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by Any Color You Like, May 25, 2006.

1. Any Color You Like

Any Color You Like Senior Member

I love the sound of a downtuned acoustic guitar. It's like very heavy without
    distortion. I don't know if it's a common practice to downtune acoustic guitars.
    I downtune 5 steps. (From E to B)

I think I am born to own a bass...

2. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

you should try buying a bass instead tuning your acoustic 5 steps...at the most i do 1 whole step.

3. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

Downtuning acoustic guitars is a rather common practice (Elliott Smith did it a lot), but five WHOLE steps? (o_O) Haha, that would be ridiculous, and I would think it would sound horrible. Are you sure you don't mean five half-steps (which even then would be a lot)?

Like SLammon, the most I've tuned-down was one whole step. I like the sound of one step, or ever a half step, but five... :eek:

4. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

Five whole steps would just cause your strings to rattle horribly from being so damned loose.

5. Lather

Lather Member

At the most I might downtune my acoustic by one semitone.. but tuning it down by five will just make your strings loose and flappy. You should buy a bass guitar. If you really like the acoustic sound, you can get yourself an acoustic bass..

6. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

You could buy an upright bass, I want one soooo bad. They're alot more expensive than an acoustic bass guitar though.For now I'm just playing a Fender Jazz Bass and a Fender Precision Bass.

7. Lather

Lather Member

Upright basses are awesome.. they have a unique sound.. but they're very expensive and very difficult to learn if you're used to regular acoustic or electric basses. And if you do manage to get used to playing upright bass, you'll have a tough time playing regular basses later.:(

8. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

Guess you'd have to spend alot of time playing bass...no problem with me haha.

9. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

I down-tune 2 steps. Certain songs I'll capo up 3 frets.
    Long live my strings!!! (Ernie Ball brand.)

10. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

I've been wanting to try out some Ernie Balls but I usually end up getting Elixirs or Martins....usually Elixir.