Dopamine Deficiency

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Piobaire, Nov 18, 2022.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

My therapist suggested that I may be dopamine deficient. I brought home some literature; my mate said that it sounded like it was written about me; I tick every box. Going to start on L-tyrosine supplements. Has anyone else ever worked with this?

Dopamine Deficiency
    • You lack motivation, drive.
    • You’re tired.
    • You can’t concentrate.
    • You’re moody or anxious.
    • You don’t feel pleasure from previously enjoyable experiences.
    • You’re depressed; you feel hopeless.
    • You have a low sex drive.
    • You have trouble sleeping or have disturbed sleep.
    • Hand tremors or other tremors at rest, loss of balance or coordination, increased muscle/limb stiffness, muscle cramps (symptoms of Parkinson’s disease).
    • Restless legs syndrome.
    • Problems with short-term memory, managing daily tasks and solving simple thinking problems (symptoms of cognitive changes).
    • Problems with low self-esteem, anxiety, forgetfulness, impulsiveness and lack of organizational skill (symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder).
    • Social withdrawal, reduced emotions, don’t feel pleasure (negative symptoms of schizophrenia).
    • Gastrointestinal symptoms.

2. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

3. PinkEye

PinkEye Member Lifetime Supporter

Id have to say that describes a good third of my life

4. Martyhdmi

Martyhdmi Members

see that explains how i feel but im on anti phsycotics so they effect the release of dopermein i think, i cant not take them.

5. soap94

soap94 Newbie

Thanks for the thread, I watched so many YT videos about the effect of dopamine. We humans are so complex :D

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Tried the L-Tryosine for 30 days; no effect whatsoever.

7. Toker

Toker Lifetime Supporter

You don't mention other drugs or supplements you take. Some of those might affect you.

I can offer possible relief via potassium tablets. If you're dehydrated that can cause several of your symptoms. Restless legs, cramps and trouble sleeping are often relieved by potassium esp. if you're on a diurectic.

Vitamins can also help to give you more energy and raise your spirits. Digestive issues can be helped with pre- and pro-biotics like whole foods and yogurt.

I find these things help when I remember to take them.

Some of these issues come with age. Others can be mitigated, but require your ongoing attention and commitment.

Also if you caught Covid, even without knowing, you could have long Covid, which can explain the other symptoms.

I have found that the hardest problems to deal with are those with multiple causes. If you're having all those symptoms, I doubt it has one cause, and it's probably not dopamine.

Lastly, stay away from processed foods and powdered garlic (always rancid) which is in so many packaged foods.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor of medicine, just a doctor of toking...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
  8. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Anhedonia is a diverse array of deficits in hedonic function, including reduced motivation or ability to experience pleasure. While earlier definitions emphasized the inability to experience pleasure, anhedonia is currently used by researchers to refer to reduced motivation, reduced anticipatory pleasure (wanting), reduced consummatory pleasure (liking), and deficits in reinforcement learning.

Piobaire likes this.