Dont you feel exposed? a question to poets

Discussion in 'Poetry' started by We_All_Shine_On, May 8, 2004.

1. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

dont you sometimes feel exposed like I think poems are really personal and I hate when people read my poems.... dont you?

2. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

I don't mean all poems, I know poems are written for others to read, but do you share everything you write?

3. Pablo

Pablo Member

no, not all of them. Some things i draw are not to be shared either.

4. osiris

osiris Senior Member

it is not my "self" that i expose through my poetry, but the spirit that drives it. i would not dare to hide that from the world, no matter how disgustingly distorted it may become, whence refracting and reflecting through the many lenses that have come to comprise my "self".

if you can dig that.

much love :)

5. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

Yes.

I have been doing more work with friends so that I can loose some of that sentimentality.

At some point me and a friend will go to a Bazaar with a refill pad and a pen each and set up a spontanious writing booth. The idea is people come pay us a small sum for Charity (probably Princess Alice Hospice or Cancer research) and give us a topic and we write a poem about it. The thing about that is you have to be COMPLETELY spontanious

Blessings

Sebbi

6. maryjaneguitargurl

maryjaneguitargurl I am just like you.

no the only thing im scared about is people stealin mine cause mine are actually good.......so i probably wont post anymore

peace

7. MoonlightSilver

MoonlightSilver Member

For some reason, I don't like people to read my good ones. Maybe that's because the ones I think are good are the ones that are personal...but I know what you mean. You have to keep something to yourself...

8. VanAstral

VanAstral Member

humiliated? everyone has been. it's good to hear about it.

gotsta shed your barriers, your defenses, to be free,
    don't ya?

9. VanAstral

VanAstral Member

*runs to texas and steals her good poems*

10. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

that is whats great about them. wut is better than being naked(or free)?

perhaps it is your deeper self you fear, rather than other people getting a glimpse of it.

11. saffronfrancisburnet

saffronfrancisburnet Member

do i feel exposed by my poetry

mm well no of cause not i feel they open my heart and mind to
    the full reality of my life and the world around me
    unfortunatly poetry is personal and can really only be
    understood by those that have experienced what is written
    or able to feel the words and states of mind in what is written

dont be afraid to open your life in words
    or even for others to read your work
    it may help others and yourself ...in life

or help you learn about yourself and who you are
    from past present and for future...

go feel free write your poems
    let yourself flow with your life ...

love n peace from saff......

12. veinglory

veinglory Member

Mostly I write poems to communicate, so no, it doesn't bother me.

13. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

I'm not to worried about people stealing my material. Afterall writing is a communial act. If my material is good enough to be stolen then people who read it are going to be influenced by it on a subconscious level. One exercise I do is start by stealing a line for my first line, then writing the rest of it (I call it writing off the page).

As poets our ultimate aim should be to reflect the voices of every sentient being onto the page.
    Blessings

Sebbi

14. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

neither do i, seeing as how i dont write to make money, and dont really plan on it.

i think i would be a little honored if someone stole my work, but also disgusted at the same time someone would call it their own.

15. chandra anjali

chandra anjali Member

no i generallly tend to feel more exposed when i don't release anything in any way and i end up having some type of freak out moment because everything is piled on too high

16. Pablo

Pablo Member

I really dont worry about it being stolen, even if i did want to sell it what are the chances that the person who stold it would have put it somewhere where the publisher would know about it. At any rate, i dont really worry about who gets credit, though i dont think its right, i dont feel personally harmed by it.

17. know1nozme

know1nozme High Plains Drifter

Well, yes, I do. But it is important to allow yourself to be vulnerable. When you write poetry (or make any other kind of art) you communicate your own unique perspective of reality to your audience. It takes courage to be an artist.

18. Professor Jumbo

Professor Jumbo Mr. Smarty Pants

I used to write a fair amount. In high school I wrote and read and open mic events. However, during my freshman year of college I realized that my poetry sucked. It was forced, mangled highschool angst poetry. It truely was embarrasing. If anybody were to read any of it now I would certainly feel exposed.

I recently posted a poem of mine on here called "finger tips?", the first that I have written in years. In that post I said that it has been two years since I had written anything, but thinking about it now it has been closer to 6 years.

I feel good about it. I do feel a little exposed, but not in a negative way. I did not try to force anything, the idea showed in my head, a memory really a happy one, I did not mangle it as I used to do I just let it happen.

19. Professor Jumbo

Professor Jumbo Mr. Smarty Pants

Wow. I'm completely the oppoiste, at least as regards feeling harmed by being stolen from. In fact I can't think of anything that would hurt me more. Ood really since this is the first time that I have ever even considered "what if somebody stole my poerty".

I know that this is ULTRA cheesy, but it would be as if they were stealing some kind of personal essence of mine or, to be coloquial about, it would feel like they were stealing my soul.

20. Musikero

Musikero Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't feel exposed when posting here because nobody knows me anyway. None of you has seen my face or heard my voice. None of you has a past with me. I'm a perfect stranger to you all. I don't know why that makes me comfortable in posting my poems (even the ones that hurt, which I don't normally like to do) - I just can't explain it.

Peace,

Bathala (yes, I'm still here)