Don't de-claw your cats!

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by HighBlueSkies, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

To all the people who think it doesn't hurt... so what... You kitty may be an indoor cat.. that doesnt mean someday it wont get out side an be rendered completely helpless. Its cruel weather it hurts the cat or not... and for what its worth.. even if the laser doesnt hurt the tramma of it may.... if you knew how to train an animal then it wouldnt ruin your furniture... My cats would never think of scratching anywhere where they are not allowed.. they know theres a scratching post and a peice of partical board for them to scratch on... they never scratch where there not supposed to...

2. Fernanda

Fernanda Member

hmmmm I'm a vet tech,...
    It's painful!

I feel bad for those pets that are not treated properly by their "owners"

Fer

3. JayJ

JayJ Member

I don't even use those plastic things. Sure they stop cats from ripping everything, but lemon-furniture wax has a better effect...you can't smell it much, it keeps the cats away and they can run around clawing you when you're naughty lol...that's half the fun ahah

4. kayy

kayy Member

it's just disgusting to cripple a cat that way. imagine the feeling of a cat who realises after the operation that he has been taking away an important part of his body! how can u do a thing like that if u really love your cat? This thread makes me very sad.

5. ACE

ACE Member

Thank You

6. Abyle

Abyle Member

My kitty was declawed when I got her, but I don't think I would have it done in the future. I would be afraid to get another cat though because my baby might get her eyes clawed out, unable to scratch back. :( (Plus, she hates other animals.)

7. HighBlueSkies

HighBlueSkies Member

Your baby would never allow her eyes to be gouged out. Your cat would run, hiss, spit, or fight back using the claws on her back legs (assuming they're still there).

I wouldn't underestimate your baby. ;)

8. velvet

velvet Banned

This is about the ethics of declawing cats and it's a plain fact that cats use their front paws for fighting (as well as their hind legs). When faced a cat that still has it's claws it's a big disadvantages an even vets that do declawing suggest keeping yout cat away from strange cats when declawed.

I agree with the above poster: if you train your cat well (and this isn't harsh dicipline, it's just being playfull and consequent) it wont scratch anywhere you don't want to.

That being said, I'm gonna stick out my neck by saying that people who declaw their cats are not only very unethical (and illegal by the laws in most majority of the western-world governments!) but also complete sissy's, if you can't handle some scratches when playing with your cat.

And if you have little kids? Well.. what's a better education: "look sweety, this is a cat, it is sweet but if you tease it too much it'll defend itself, it's his nature. Be carefull" or "sweety, this is a cat and because we don't like some of it's natural state we altered it"..

9. crackforkids

crackforkids Senior Member

i remember getting mine declawed, it came home and could hardly stand up, it was whinning all the time, i felt soooo bad for it! i love my tugs :-D

10. velvet

velvet Banned

Ohw.. that's sad. Was it your descision or your parents'? Would you do it again with another cat if you had the option?

11. Incense

Incense Member

Deleted because you can't see the pics...

12. velvet

velvet Banned

ehm.. I don't see any pics?

13. Incense

Incense Member

14. Jointman69

Jointman69 High Nigga Pie

i wish i ahd heard this before my mom got my 3 cats' front claws removed. they dont really act different tho, ones a scaredy cat, ones loving, ones a bitch, same as before. theya re inside cats only tho and their favorite kind of food is a really healthy kind so i think they will be ok

15. TheStoon

TheStoon Member

Its a sick,cruel and disgusting easy way out for the lazy cat owner - and i will apologise to no one for saying so.

If you can't be bothered to properly train your cat then you shouldn't have one, no matter how much you love it.

The thing is, its soooo easy to train a cat, most things they are pretty darn good at without any training at all (litter, cleaning etc), it took about a week with a water pistol, some treats and lots of attention to turn my psycho kitty with the killer claws and teeth into a peaceful and placid little boy who loves getting played with! He knows what he can and can't attack, and is very careful about it...basically if its soft and fluffy and smells of catnip he can kill it, if its got skin and smells funny then it can't!!!

Although this does go wrong sometimes when my other cat has been on the catnip!! ;)

TheStoon