Donnie Darko?????

Discussion in 'Movies' started by 7leafclover, Jun 5, 2004.

1. 7leafclover

7leafclover Member

Hey I saw Donnie Darko the other day, and it completely took my breath away. I was wondering if anyone else here has seen it, and what you thought about it. I am also still a little mixed up about the ending, so if someone could try to explain the whole wormhole thing, it would be much appreciated.

2. Leigh420

Leigh420 Member

i love this movie, its extremely interesting and hollywood hasnt copied the idea to death (yet) but i've seen it a million times and still havent figured out the ending :( i guess it'll hit us someday

3. Eden

Eden Member

i just read that they're re-releasing it!

4. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Movie rocks. Its about divine intervention. See the whole movie is about this boy Donnie and he doesnt like his life much right. Then Frank comes and his life is saved when the turbine crashes into his home. Now hes given a chance to live. Well by living his sister, mother, and girlfriend would have to die. All people he loves. On the other hand, a sick pervert goes to prison and he touches the lives of two teachers. But then he would also end up killing Frank, who saved his life. So at the end of the movie he has a choice, he can go back and die to save all thier lives or he can continue living. But since he really does love his girlfriend, little sister, and mom he goes back to die but dies happy because hes changed. See the entire movie is about cause and effect. By living he changes everyones life in large or small ways. In the end everything is the same as it would be if he died but he has changed. Also a deleted scene that was not in the movie was his therepist told him his medication was placebos. I think that should have stayed in.

5. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

I think the wormhole at the end transported him to the road at the begining of the film... thats why he is smiling . It was a good film , but Jake G tried too hard to be mysterious too many awkward flips of his hood over his head. I only watched it once ... but its a film worth watching ... I thought/hoped they would re release it and i hope all the scenes that were cut are reinstated... To sum it up its terribly good , meaning its terrible but good :confused:

I hope they change the website its to much like hard work :mad: http://www.donniedarko.com/

6. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Whys that? Maybe you didnt get it. I've seen tons of movies and I loved it... Deep movie.

Matt: If that was how he got to the road, where did the bike come from? Remember he was also in pajamas.

7. Skelter

Skelter Helter

i have seen a lot of movies and i love Donnie Darko. its an incredible movie, so weird and mysterious. And the soundtrack is really good.

8. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

Like De ja vu your not in the same clothes or predicament your in at the time of the recolected event.

9. metro

metro self-banned

I liked it too and I agree the soundtrack is good. I liked the movie better the second time I saw it, probably because I could follow it better. Drew Barrymore is cool.

10. A Clockwork Orange*

A Clockwork Orange* Member

I like Donnie Darko, and I don't like many films.. The guy that plays Donnie is very cute :) Just saw another film with him in, can't remember what it was called now. The Day after tomorrow? I think, anyway.. yeah Donnie's cool :)

11. TerminalMadness

TerminalMadness Member

Oh puh-lease. Gimme a break. There's always some condescension on this board.

I thought this movie was a masterpiece. Yet another grim tale about the future, philosophy, and non-conformity in a conformist world.

Donnie, his girlfriend, those two teachers, and that chinese little girl were the only original presences in this town during the story and they were looked upon as freaks, but the people that acted seemingly according to their idea of normal were deemed normal.

This was a real big headtrip. I loved it.

12. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

The mother I feel was also original. She was a caring woman who was very intelligent (member the PTA meeting) Anyone guess what was in Sparows cellar door?

13. KingOfTheJews

KingOfTheJews Member

sound track kicks ass, didn't understand theend but now do thanks! :)

14. WaitingForTheSun

WaitingForTheSun Member

I've seen millions upon millions of times. There's all this analysis on it so try looking it up on the web for the clear meaning, I'm just afraid of explaining it wrong. I believe it has to do with the living dead (Frank) and making what is suppose to happen, happen. I loved the movie but there is little fact in the scientific terms. When they say that almost anything can travel at the speed of light, that's completely untrue. Such matter can not travel at the speed of light because as things move, their mass grows and at that speed it would be infinite. It was sorta a bummer when I read that because that makes the whole movie crap. Damn, and I was really hoping it had actually happened too.

15. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Director Commentary rocks

16. AreYouExperienced

AreYouExperienced American Victim

I saw this the other day as well, and I found it to be very good and interesting. I usually hate most movies too, but this one was good.

17. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

I adore this film. I think it is a really orginal piece of work, and the non-conforming charcters are so well made - my heart goes out to that girl every time she she performs; her piece is so much better than Sparkle Motion (btw, loving the 80s factor as well)

As for it being a kids' movie - I don't really see why it is one, but even if that was true, why would that make it bad?

And
    sorry about the brain block, but what do you mean?

18. kincajou

kincajou Member

I dont think its a kids movie at all. Kids would be clueless at the end of it and disregard the end where its where most of the movie really shines anyway!

BTW its being re-released, no not a sequel, but rereleased with 21 minutes of extra movie footage and goodies i believe.

19. JOsie

JOsie Member

is it just me that found all sorts of christian imagery in there?

but yeah...i loved it too...it's one of those films that you can sit up discussing with people...

20. TerminalMadness

TerminalMadness Member

Along with conformity, this movie is also about pre-conceived destiny, fate, philosophy, and whether or not we can change what's going to happen to us in the future.

It showed that what's going to happen happens whether we like it or not. Sure it's not an original concept for a story, but it's great nonetheless.

Plus, I liked that scene with those wormholes coming out of people's chests. Such a fucking trip. I was amazed after watching this movie. That rarely ever happens to me anymore.