Don Imus Controversy

Discussion in 'People' started by dudenamedrob, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Motion

Motion Senior Member

Some of this can be about how literally you take what rappers say.

I've heard women who listen to rap say that when they hear rappers saying bitches and hoes that doesn't mean that the rapper is calling them that. Because the rappers aren't literally calling every female a hoe. These women say that those words are aimed at specific women and not every black woman or every woman on the planet.

2. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

Apparently i'm not the only one who feels this way:

3. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

Reality is subjective.

4. Motion

Motion Senior Member

They are imaginary women that rappers rap about.

The bitches and hoes they mention in their music don't literally exist,unless a rapper is referring to an actual woman by name in a song. Yes they may get ideas for their music from real life situations but it's turned into a created fantasy for a song.

These Rutgers women literally exist. This is who Imus was aiming his comments at and not some made up women in a song. This is what I mean when I say that if there is a difference between the Imus-rappers comparison this is where it's at.

No I don't agree with the female name calling in rap. I think it's uneccessary and just invites more criticism of Hip Hop. But I do recognize that in order for this to change it will require changing the language used in the hoods that these rappers come from.

5. Grim

Grim Wandering Wonderer

I'm against all forms of censorship, including what's happening here.

That's not to say I like Imus. I think he's an idiot, and I disagree with him on this matter. But I still don't see why he can't be allowed to say what he thinks.

6. mandell

mandell Banned

Eh, if I am racist, perhaps by your logic or lack thereof, a member of the KKK like yourself for example, would be part of a persecuted minority and
    "would simply be someone with a disdain for bullshit" like racism, bigotry, sexism... Crusaders struggling against this evil entity called "political correctness"

:jester:

Dude, I can tell by your rants, you've been listening to too much Anus In The Morning. Your favorite shock jock radio host got fired already. Now, get over it. I hope you and your suburban friends don't start having riots over this.
    Can we all just get along? :jester:

7. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

Snoop Dogg says this:
    Personally I believe that the women in the hood do literally exist....so would most people with eyes and ears, therefore your argument that the sexism in rap music is based on imaginary women, is null and void.

8. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

Don Imus just got fired from his CBS radio show too, i'll post a link as soon as it hits the net.

9. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

Well I've never listened to Imus myself, as far as everything else you said...........you need help, I refuse to debate someone as childish as you any further.......waste of time.

10. mandell

mandell Banned

Uhmm, so, those who speak out against racism are the reason why racism exists in this country... what a brilliant insight. LOL. :jester: Not.
    It's like saying, the victims of racism are the the reason why racism exists in this country. If we could only get rid of the victims of racism, then we wouldn't have a problem over racism. Hmmm. :&

While for shock jock commentators on national maistream radio like Don Anus, err, I mean, Imus it's no big deal. He'll just apologize later on, right? LOL.

Eh, if you still think this wasn't a racist thing, you may want to check this out:

CBS Fires Don Imus Over Racial Slur
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/04/12/national/main2675273.shtml

11. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

I never implied that what he said wasn't racist. Don't you even read my posts??

I stand by this comment, yes I believe you are contributing to racism. You labeled me a Klansmen .......to me, that's more offensive than anything Don Imus said, you label me a racist when i'm quite sure that anyone who knows me would disagree with you quite vehemently. I'm quite sure any rational person reading this thread would disagree with you. I don't know what your problem is, but you are one sick individual, instead of backing up anything you say you resort to name calling.......you are filled with hatred.

12. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

Mandell, if you would actually read, you wouldn't constantly stick your foot in your mouth. I made it very clear that I didn't think that he intended to be racist, not that what he said was not racist, because it most assuredly was.

13. Motion

Motion Senior Member

Yes those women do exist but they become more made up or created by the artist for the music. Rappers rarelly if ever mention a specific real life female by name when they use the words bitches or hoes.

14. mandell

mandell Banned

WoW!!!
    Calling me a sick individual, do you not resort to name calling as well?? Hmmm:jester:

Dudenamedrob,
    Do you even bother to read your own posts before you hit the send button? :jester:

Such venom, hatred, name-calling, double-standard, and anger coming from
    someone who starts a thread devoted to whining about the evils of the hypocrisy of others, it appears that you yourself have forgotten to take into account your own hypocrisy.

Perhaps, "political correctness" is policy now, maybe, no??? :jester:

You need to get out of that little corner, grow up, quit whining, learn to accept it, deal with it, and suck it up. LOL. :jester:

15. Sign Related

Sign Related The Don Killuminati

It was the ads being pulled that got him fired. That is all.

16. Gaston

Gaston Loup Garou

Bingo! As one rapper once said, "it's all about the Benjamins". The network is just trying to milk some extra mileage out of it by linking it to Political Correctness and their valiant fight against bigotry. Whatta load of bullshit. :H

17. Saggioculo

Saggioculo Member

I wanted to add my two cents on the Imus controversy. I don’t condone what Imus said and find it to be offensive at the least. That being said, by the simple threat of boycotting the companies that sponsor the Imus show, these companies immediately pulled their ads. These companies, like so many others, have done equally, if not more offensive actions to the American people (including those very same basketball players, I might add) then what Imus did. These companies fire the American workers and send their jobs overseas. This not only insults the American people but it hurts them physically, mentally, and financially. Why have the American people not threaten to boycott these companies for their offensive actions. These companies were threatened with boycotting for simply advertising on a show where the commentator made offensive remarks. Americans were offended by words and took immediate action to punish the offender, so why not punish the offenders who are hurting us and not just by words but by their actions? As kids we are taught: sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me. And yet we took action because of someone’s distasteful words and do nothing to companies who hurt us most.

Sure we are outraged by their actions but we still buy their products and use their services despite what they are doing to us and yet because Imus said something offensive he was fired for his actions? Why is that? If what he said was so insulting, is not what these companies are doing at least as insulting? Why is there no activist fighting for all Americans instead of just the few? Why have the American people sat there and watch these outrageous acts and do nothing? Why is what Imus said more offensive then what these companies are doing to all Americans? If we all not just threatened a boycott but follow through against these companies, they will again be forced to do something to appease the public they so greatly depend on.

As a disabled American, while I sit at home and collect a disability check, I often scour the internet trying to find a job that I could do from home and be self supporting. However, such jobs are hard to come by because these jobs are given to people overseas. I could easily be the person who answers the phone for a company’s customer service line or take orders over the phone for a company but again these jobs are overseas. So here I sit (as many other disabled Americans) collecting a check from Social Security (which is already hurting) instead of working.

If I had the knowledge, I would set up my own website and each month list a new company to boycott until they get the message that we as Americans will not buy from them if we can’t work for them. Of course we can’t be greedy. Unions have helped the working class greatly, however there are those unions that are greedy and simply make it near impossible for a company to stay in business let alone make a profit. These unions have contributed to these companies hiring overseas. We must be able to earn a decent living but at the same time not allow the greed of the unions lose our jobs.

If we can get companies to pull their ads by the threat of boycotting then we should be able to get these companies to give us back our jobs. If what Imus did was so offensive then we should be just as, if not more, offended by what these companies are doing to us all. I don’t agree with most of the things Al Sharpton does or says, but in this case he has shown us all that if we take action against those who offend us then they will need to make changes to appease us. I applaud what Mr. Sharpton has done in this case and hope we can learn from it.

18. TransAmRocker

TransAmRocker Member

But the point is they are still using the words bitches and hoes...doesnt matter if imaginary or real person its being said to. ITS STILL BEING SAID! Hip Hop and Rap is such an influence this day compared to my day when I was a youngster. When I was a teen, if someone used the word "nigga" they were looked at as racist and could not say that "forbidden" word. I go to the mall now, and you see all these teens using the word "nigga" to eachother and they aren't even black. That is just how it is now. And of course these teens, use words like bitches and hoes when talking about girls. THAT IS JUST HOW IT IS NOW. And I think the hip hop and rap music has the infuence of teaching the youngsters its ok to say these words.

19. TransAmRocker

TransAmRocker Member

So it would have been okay if Imus was on the subject of "imaginary women" and he said "that nappy headed hoe"?

20. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Hey Rob:

this is not to hijack your thread, but to inject some extra juice into it.

Rosie O'Donnell is out at The View cannt help but think that Rosie and Imus are related. Both pushed out by big corporate interests.

Somewhere up there Disney owns The View, perhaps Rosie was too controversial for them with her rant on Trump or questions about The Twin Towers.

So now both are gone; but these two are huge stars capable of
    landing other gigs in the future. I'm more worried about constricted speech
    for the little guy, the lesser broadcaster.
    Both stars stood out in an otherwise bland media world for provacative controversial thought.

This shows a punative, vindictive, society in which we live. Imus and Rosie
    were dropped for diferent types off transgresions for sure.

For Imus, an apology and a continuing conversation about stupidity and sensitiveity would have been preferable to the loss of the show.

Now partisans of either stripe will just attack each other then retreat
    into thier mutual bunkers rather than work it out. Its about Gotcha nowadays