Dog food?...

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Strawberry_Fields_Fo, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

I was just wondering how vegetarians justify buying their animals food with meat in it. I'm specifically asking those vegetarians who don't eat meat in part because they don't want to support the beef industry, etc., since the beef in animal food comes from the meat industry. Not trying to provoke, just wondering...

-Kate

2. RedStar

RedStar Member

i'm not really in your target aucdience for this question , but i always wondered why peopel want to force dogs, which are natural carnivores, to eat a vegetarian diet. their digestive systems are specifically geared to eat meat. sure they can eat vegetables and such, and often enjoy them as treats, but their physiology is specially geared to a carnivorous diet.
    Sure, most dog food contains very little actual MEAT, but that food is terrible for dogs.
    just wondering...

RedStar

3. shutterfly

shutterfly Member

Yea.. that's a tough one to justify. I don't think it can be justified. I must embrace my own hypocrisy on that one, as I live with 2 cats and I feed them a meat based cat food.. and I'm vegan for ethical reasons.. so I guess the only solution would be to get rid of the cats. I do struggle with this reality. :(

4. Summertime

Summertime Member

Dogs are omnivores, not carnivores.

Summer. xx.

5. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

When we were considering getting a dog I did some reasearch and concluded have a vegetarian dog wouldn't be wrong.
    Not only couldn't I bring myself to suppourt the meat industry but to feed a much loved animal something my brother wouldn't eat. (you won't believe the crap in pet food)
    Studies have proven dogs thrive on a veggie diet. Whether this is through cutting out meat itself or just the processed crap in pet food I've no idea.

Of course in the end we got a rabbit. She is a vegan, as nature intended.
    In fact I'm going to look into devising a raw vegan diet for her. Those pellets are overpriced and she would probably be a whole lot happier eating fresh veggies.

TTFN
    Sage

6. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Don't be too hard on yourself. It's diffrent for cats. They can really struggle on a veggie diet.
    Keep the cats, we can only eliminate so much suffering. Besides it's very compassionate of you to take such good care of them.

TTFN
    Sage

7. shutterfly

shutterfly Member

Thanx for the support Sage! However I still contradict my ethics. I have done some research on veggie kitty food. It's really expensive and I can't afford it on a regular basis. I would also need to supplement it with other stuff and I'd expose my babies to various possible maladies. It's a struggle..

8. shutterfly

shutterfly Member

Thanks for the tip Didgeridoodoo! Where do you get your prepackaged vegan cat food from? 300 bucks is pretty affordable. I would love to try it out on my boys.

9. terrapinchasin

terrapinchasin Member

I buy a natural dog food with no animal biproducts in it. My boyfriend insists the dog eat meat dog foos, the one he's on now is cheicken salmon and rice.

I would nto feed a dog crap that i would not eat. and beaks and feathers are not shit i want him eating.

fuck alpo.

10. TheFriendlyStranger

TheFriendlyStranger Maniac Mull Mite

I dont have to justify anything, my dog likes meat, I dont.,

11. indigorainhemp

indigorainhemp Member

I feed my dog Nutro ,,which in the pet food world it is the most natural and non- filler food . I am sure it has some fillers but not like science diet etc...
    I also give my dog Marrow bones from the store. They are frozen and full of bone marrow and they work on them for hours,,cleaning their teeth scaping etc... it is gross but that is dogs nature. My fiance is not veg and I cut up left over chicken and brown rice & add it to his food. He also gets brewers yeast and garlic to keep fleas away! When I make a black been burito I give him some beans.I wouldn't put my dog on a veg diet. It is not for them. They are meat eaters,,they crave raw meat,,they drool when they see raw meat ,,,it is there instinct.

12. inbloom

inbloom as the crow flies...

i agree with you, here.

13. xscoutx

xscoutx Member

i wouldn't force my dogs to be vegan or vegetarian (though i am vegan) but they CAN get mad cow disease, just like us.

14. veg-0-matic

veg-0-matic Member

."
    Sage,
    we had a bunny for about 6 years, Scootie, she was litter trained, and originally we fed her the pellets, with timothy hay for roughage, but found out about 2 years into owning her that the pellets were enormously hard for her to digest, and ended up in the end giving her kidney cancer because of undisolved calcium (sniff, sniff, I still can't even talk about it :( ), but we ended up feeding her an all veggie diet, carrots, apples, broccoli, cauliflower, leafy lettuce.... but dont feed your bunnies stuff with alot of calcium, like kale, spinach or collard greens.

We have a dog now, and I am vegetarian, my husband is pesco-veggie, but we fed our girl vegetarian dog food with very poor results, Constant diareahha, and very very bad breath were two of the worst side effects, doggies and cats need meat, but we feed her holistic food, made by Wellness, all organic stuff, and no weird by products!

15. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

TTFN
    Sage