Does anyone here have or know anything about Phenylketonuria?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by zeppelin kid, Jun 28, 2006.

1. zeppelin kid

zeppelin kid Member

I guess it is a disorder in which your body doesn't recognize a certain amino acid thats in most foods and then that acid builds up in your blood and causes mental retardation if not treated. Does anyone have this disorder and can tell me what the symptoms are and the warning signs? It would really help me out.

2. PurpleMapleTree

PurpleMapleTree Member

3. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

If you were born in the USA or Canada and other developed countries, you would have been tested within about 3 days after your birth. This is not something you get later, you have to be born with it.

Were you born in the USA?

4. zeppelin kid

zeppelin kid Member

Yeah I know they test for it when you are born but that doesn't mean its a 100 percent certainty. I was just wondering anyway but thanks.

5. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

The birth test is pretty accurate. If you DID have PKU you most likely would have reacted to milk and or formula, as well as other protein sources as a child, and as a teen or adult would already have significant brain damage.

6. zeppelin kid

zeppelin kid Member

Your right and thats why I have moved on to another disorder I think I may have. And if you guys didn't know I'm a hypochondriac.