Does a wand HAVE to be the element of air (or fire)?

Discussion in 'Paganism' started by FireflyInTheDark, May 4, 2013.

1. FireflyInTheDark

FireflyInTheDark Sell-out with a Heart of Gold

So I have two wands, one that a friend found for me and another that I bought because I just thought it was amazing.

The first one was part of a tree. It's gnarled like a root, but it has a little bit of bark on it, amazingly near where the handle would be, so I cleaned it off a little and have left the "handle" there. I really feel very strongly that this is an Earth wand.

The other wand, the store-bought one, was bought from a magic/herbal shop where many vendors would bring their crafts. It's a very simple curved and sanded down branch with a little black dot on the tip where it was struck by lightening. Now, I understand the whole logic against making a wooden wand into a fire wand (because it doesn't make sense to make a tool be an element that could destroy it). However, in this case, this strong, wooden branch withstood the fire. It survived. I feel like it has earned it, so to speak.

I really agree with the logic behind having an air wand, but is it possible that I just haven't found one, yet?

Or am I just new with no idea what I'm talking about? :frown:

I haven't done anything to decorate or consecrate either wand (I'm just getting started for real, been studying for a while), but I don't really feel like decorating them anyway. No offense to anyone, but the ones decked out in crystals don't do much for me... or at least let me say I have yet to meet one that has...

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The way I learned, the Sword is a tool of Air and the Wand is a tool of Fire. It's because the Holly King is associated with Winter and being cool headed enough to handle the Sword. The Oak King, on the other hand, is associated Summer and with fire; he has passion of youth and is better suited to the less consequential Wand because he tends to be a hot head.

If you want to see some "decked out" Wands go to the link. I love her stuff.
    https://www.************/pages/Bles...ools-by-Natasha-Heard/143168409031175?fref=ts

3. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

I've always been of a mind that the wand represents all elements though can have qulities of indivdual textures for the particular rituals of healing and spell casting - it is the 5th element of Spirit that encaptures all
    :)

4. FireflyInTheDark

I like that. And I've heard spirit referred to as an element before. I feel like it's kind of like electricity or lightening or star plasma. It's all energy. Some of it is just a little more stable...

Whoa, some of those are actually long crystals themselves. I might be able to get into that. I have seen some of the ones with a lot of stuff glued to them and with a lot of stuff hanging off of them, and I feel like they lose some of their grace that way... but then that's just me. A few decorations or an encrusted handle isn't out of my comfort zone. It's just when they start looking too encumbered or busy that they start to annoy me.

And thank you for your perspective. I had not heard it put that way before. :)

5. FireflyInTheDark

Oh man, this one:
    [​IMG]

:svengo:

6. Aerianne

7. Shakti_Om

Shakti_Om Local Pixie

I'm not a prolific user of wands except for Ritual Magic. A lot of information, particularly on the internet does not make clear enough distinction between Ritual and Practical Magic. The Ritual use and meaning of a wand will vary slightly between tradition. Of course some paths have an eclectic or no Ritual tradition at all. Ritually you should honor what you have been taught and the tradition of your belief.

With regards practical application, I was taught that the wand was an extension of oneself which modifies personal energy and intention. Therefore a variety of wands can be different in inherent ability and magical application.

Blessings
    Shayla x

8. FireflyInTheDark

See, nice and simple. I like it. Is that a copper coil around it? I have an un healthy fascination with copper. Always have. I just find the color positively intoxicating. I could stare for hours. I have a set of three cauldrons in different sizes that are copper with wrought iron handles and feet.

That's a good thought. Thank you for sharing it. I do want an air wand, because that is what I've been taught. I don't think I have found one yet, though, so before I get started, I think I'll look specifically for that and not get dazzled by cool stuff like I was with the lightning wand. I need to focus on the core stuff before I add all the bells and whistles...

Well good, because it looks like that's what's happening here. :daisy:

9. Aerianne

Yes, that's copper; to conduct the energy up the want to the tip.

In my photo, the wand lying behind the athame is a copper wand.

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

nothing HAS to be, anything. we can make things repositories of certain kinds of power, by how we choose to perceive them. i know it doesn't sound like much when i say it this way. but we use these things to focus energies that are all around us.

rituals are a way of reinforcing those kinds of perceptions. this last is true in every kind of belief. even non-pagan mainstream popular ones.

11. FreshDacre

FreshDacre Senior Member

I got that fire only when it when it burps up on the dancefloor .....
    Hey firefly girl good to seeya around :D