Doctor's Excuse for Going Barefoot

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by barefootdude, Mar 19, 2008.

1. barefootdude

barefootdude Member

I just wanted to share this with all of you. Here is a way to stick it to the man, if you are able to pull this off:

Last Spring I was involved in an auto accident and had to go to physical therapy and doctor's checkups for a few months because I had back and knee pain. As the weather got nicer and I got back into my barefoot groove, I started showing up to the doctor's office barefoot. He asked my why I don't wear shoes anymore. Not knowing what to say, I just said that it helps with my back pain. To my suprize he quoted a study that was done in March from one of the medical journals in which it was found that walking barefoot helps with back and knee pain. I asked the doctor if he could give me an official prescription note so that I would be allowed to go barefoot "for medical reasons". He did, and to this day I keep a copy folded up in my pocket when I go into public places. I have also stapled a copy of the PA health department letter (from the SBL website) for extra ammo. The combination of both of these has made many a store manager back down for fear that I could sue under the ADA act. They just kinda leave you alone. It's great!!

BarefootedBoy likes this.
  2. Therese Aline

Therese Aline Slave to the man

That's really cool. Good for you.

3. Rew

Rew Member

Haha, that's awesome! Oh, and welcome to Hip Forums, Jaime. ;)

4. seohsreven

seohsreven Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I'll have to have my physician write me one of these the next time I visit the states. Should be good for some laughs. Thanks for the tip, barefootdude!

5. SIEKK

SIEKK Member

om that's genius!!

6. bfjohn

bfjohn Member

You won't need a sick note in the UK, no one bothers about bare feet.

7. txbarefooter

txbarefooter Senior Member

I'm not sure this will work in the US, the store could say "well, come back when you're feeling better and wearing shoes". no "IF" you could prove this is covered under the disability act then they would have zero legal recourse.

8. seohsreven

seohsreven Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Any medical condition which is legitimately diagnosed by a physician and is a physical disability is covered under the ADA. Any 2-cent lawyer could easily sail this type of case through any court in the country. Discrimination is discrimination.

9. HempMama

HempMama Member

That's awesome! I know shoes def. can lead to back pain among other issues probably.

10. bige1030

bige1030 Member

The threat of a lawsuit may be enough for most managers to back down. (Or, like in the Home Depot thread, the manager could just say, "Okay, you can go barefoot in the store, as long as your bare feet don't touch the floor. Use the wheelchairs provided.") However, what if it isn't? Would the case be as easy as you think it is if you decide to sue? I'm not so sure that it would be.

For instance, the defendant could require you to be assessed by their own doctor (for purposes of the lawsuit), who might have a bad attitude about bare feet. (As we know, a lot of doctors, especially podiatrists, would advise against going barefoot.) That doctor might be able to suggest another accommodation that the company already makes or could easily make, leaving the company in the clear and you potentially liable for their legal bills.

Companies are not required to provide specific accommodations under the ADA if others work equally well. For instance, a business can accommodate a deaf patron by using pen and paper to communicate rather than hiring a sign language interpreter (if the person can read). A clothing store doesn't have to put its prices in Braille for its blind patrons if an employee is available to read the prices to the blind patrons.

A jury could also very well vote against you, especially if they hold bad attitudes about bare feet that don't come out during voir dire.

11. oshinn

oshinn Member

that's good info bige...
    i just keep a pair of flops tied to my bag, and no one has bothered me yet... i figure if they ask me to put my shoes on i will, and that should be that. but i'm still going to ask my doctor about a note re: bare feet. can't hurt. :)

seriously though, is barefooting SO hated that someone would instigate serious litigation to prevent it from happening again? it's just skin man! i see little kids running around in stores here without shoes all the time! their feet touch the same ground as ours...

12. Barefoot-boy

Barefoot-boy Member

Shoes or barefeet, the dirt on the bottom of both is the same, and your hands and feet are both made from the same stuff.

So elementary, yet so complicated for some folks to grasp.:confused:

13. Barefootguy1985

Barefootguy1985 Member

I'm gonna get a doctors note too :p being barefoot improves balance too. I feel way more connected with my surroundings when I'm barefoot. Plus it's fun going barefoot.

14. Who'd'a'thunkit???

:)

15. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

Pics of the document or it didn't happen.

16. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

i trust him. barefootdude is bro :grouphug:

17. Smokinjoe

Smokinjoe Member

because he didnt prove it means he is lying???? thats dumb so i suppose u dont believe in god because there is no proof or believe in evolution because there is no proof so we (humans ) really dont exist?
    because no proof god is real and no proof that we evolved(the theory of evolution) either so what does that mean then huh proof doesn't mean shit always

18. I have 3 words for you ignoramuses (ignorami???): OBAMA'S BIRTH CERTIFICATE

19. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

^^^Lol a barefoot birther...now Ive heard everything. Adios fruitcakes.

20. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

:bigcry: