Doctor Is Thinking of Putting Me On Zoloft...

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Jimbee68, Apr 17, 2022.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Doctor is thinking of putting me on Zoloft: Sertraline - Wikipedia. As you can see, it has a myriad of side effects. But how common are they?

Anyway, I’ll cut to the chase. I have three main concerns: glaucoma, sexual side effects and (moderate) alcohol intake.

I asked my eye doctor about my preëxisting glaucoma. And she sees no problem. I trust her, she’s a good doctor. But she will monitor my eye pressure just in case. My plan: I will take the Zoloft for a week, and have my eye pressure checked then. If my eye pressure (which is already a little bit high—but being treated with Lumigan eye drops) gets higher, bye bye Zoloft I will say.

Anorgasmia is my main concern with Zoloft. How common is it? Is it a big concern? As you saw in the article that
    I shared, delayed ejaculation is one likely side effect. That one actually doesn’t bother me as much (ejaculations, who needs 'em?). Again probability is my question. Just to be clear, apparently Zoloft can delay ejaculation but NOT orgasm.

Lastly, will I be able to still drink alcohol in moderation? As many of you will likely point out, that one is not a necessity. And I think that I would probably agree with at least that one.

Well :) ?

2. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

As such, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends not drinking alcohol while you take Zoloft. Alcohol can intensify Zoloft's side effects, including sedation, dizziness, and difficulty concentrating.8 Feb 2022

I will look at UK DATA.

Jimbee68 and Captain Scarlet like this.
  3. Candy Gal

4. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

Skip the Zoloft, it will make you a sex zombie. It may help with your depression, but then you'll be depressed about your sex life. Then it is hard to titrate off after you've been on it a while without buzzy dizzy side effects. Ask the doc about Wellbutrin / Bupropion. Does not have the sexual side effects - actually it does quite the opposite. Off label use is for libido enhancement. No problems getting off of it either. Been there done that.

Candy Gal likes this.
  5. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Anyway, I talked to the doctor today. And we agreed Zoloft is a no go. But now he's thinking of Effexor or Rexulti.

Anyone know about those two? :)

6. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

Effexor is what zombified me and wasn't fun to get off of.. You'll go broke on Rexulti. Any of those name brand drugs are $1000/mo..

7. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Yeah, I just went to the pharmacy. And he basically told me as much on Rexulti. Unless, interesting, my doctor can convince my insurance company that I absolutely need it.

Anyway, I think that this is the last meds I will ask about (I know when I've overstayed my welcome :) ).

My doctor once said he'd put me on Abilify or Latuda. Now, my main concern with these are akathisia. I've had that before. And it's a bitch.

Also weight gain is the main concern with what I am taking now. Does Abilify cause significant weight gain?

Don't worry. Any advice I get here will be secondary to what my doctor says.

BTW thanks for your help.

8. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I have been on an anti depressants for more than 20 years. The medicinal effects and side effects have both been rather subtle. But has made my life much smoother In the past few years I-have been slowly cutting back but moderately and slowly.

9. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

You'll go broke with those, too. Any drug you see advertised costs a fortune. I downloaded the GoodRx ap, which prices out drugs locally. Every drug commercial, I plug in the drug and price it out. Some are absolutely astounding, like thousands per month. Ask about Wellbutrin. Also, it's OK to go to another doctor if you don't think his approach is helping, it's not like you're looking for a quick hit of oxy...

10. Candy Gal

Let me research some more.

Depression is awful.
    I am going to see what natural remedies may help also.

11. Candy Gal

What can be used as a natural antidepressant?

Natural antidepressants include SAM-e, St John's Wort, and omega-3-fatty acids, among others.

A 2016 systematic review found that St. John's wort was more effective than a placebo for treating mild to moderate depression and worked almost as well as antidepressant medications. However, this review of eligible studies did not find research on the long-term effects of St. John's wort on severe depression.

What are natural remedies for anxiety and depression?

[​IMG]
    Six Natural Remedies for Anxiety and Depression
    • Drink green tea instead of coffee. Experiencing intense, short bouts of anxiety can raise your blood pressure and stress your heart. ...
    • Regular exercise. ...
    • Light therapy. ...
    • Meditation. ...
    • Vitamin B12. ...
    • Omega-3 fatty acids.

12. Candy Gal