Do you think "the news" is essentially accurate?

Discussion in 'The Media' started by Voyage, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

not after this you won't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqQYImwfRTI"]KTVU FAIL: Asiana Airlines San Francisco Plane Crash Pilot Names Released PRANK - YouTube

yes, that's real.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...porting-fake-names-of-sfo-plane-crash-pilots/

there's your news reporting for you. sorry to ruin the rest of your media consuming life. but thats the sad reality of our modern world.

if it's from "the media"... take it with a grain of salt.

2. unedited

unedited Member

Saw Sum Ting Wong / Wi Tu Lo / Ho Li Fuk trending on twitter last night, thought it was hilarious. It's just a shitty local station though isn't it?

Although it makes no difference - the 'news' was never an objective reporting of the truth, never will be.

(Ho Li Fuk, Wi Tu Lo ... never gonna stop being funny :D )

3. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

*shrugs*

To be human is to err.

4. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Do you think "the news" is essentially accurate?
    The News/Media is Presented by those in Powerful Position - to whom Control is All - so "The Answer to your question" = No :)

5. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

ya, just a 'lil boo-boo'

i do too.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...porting-fake-names-of-sfo-plane-crash-pilots/

6. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

7. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Wha???

8. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

exactly.

9. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

I thought it was fucking pathetic. So did my Korean partner whose language was the butt of the 'joke'.

10. unedited

unedited Member

I think accusations of insensitivity would be totally justified, but Korean names aren't the only ones which can be parodied so suggestions their language was the butt of the joke aren't justified.

Ty L Spin
    Paul Upp
    Lois Inga Heit
    Weir Tulowe
    Lou Cowte
    Saul Auver-Forrus

:)

11. wiccan_witch

You have totally missed the point, but that's OK.

12. calgirl

calgirl Senior Member

Agreed !!!

They go one cell level thick about everything. It's rudimentary, I swear. Let the journalists write, and let the researchers find unbiased facts.

13. unedited

unedited Member

I haven't missed the point. You said your boyfriend's language was the butt of the joke, it wasn't. Your point was that a culture's language was being made fun of. Your point was wrong.

The humour comes from the fact that the names are silly, and that the news channel were so easily duped by silly names (although it seems they actually did call the accident investigation authority and got a confirmation)(from an intern).

The fact the names were silly was no reflection on any particular language, as evidenced by the silly 'European' names I gave you. The fact you, on behalf of your boyfriend, took such offence is more a reflection on your own sensitivities. Now I don't know how much racially motivated abuse he, and maybe you, have had in the past and I wouldn't condone any of it. But it's part of everyone's responsibility not to react with the assumption that humour has some sort of racial/cultural origin and intent.

Accusations of insensitivity? Yeah people making light of a fatal accident might be considered insensitive. But I ain't gonna cry over it.

Accusations of underlying racism? gtf.

In reference to the OP, it's just another example of a news outlet not being careful enough before reporting a story. It happens all the time. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's silly, sometimes it's dangerous.

(And calgirl - is there such a thing as "unbiased facts" ? Aren't all facts inherently biased through selection (ie because it's impossible to report ALL facts, you must choose which facts to report and which not to report and so you're inevitably introducing your own bias - even if you're trying to be 'objective' you've got to decide which are the most important/relevant facts - which might not be the same as those someone else thinks are the most important/relevant)? :p )

14. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

When I still lived in my hometown in the 50s,(population 2000) every time --and I mean EVERY time an article appeared about which I knew the facts, including about MY family which had been in the area since the mid 1800s--the fucken' thing was wrong. Extrapolate that on out to larger cities and you can just about figure that the only parts they get right in most articles are the names and about 1/2 the facts. Specially when they are hustling to beat the competition. And if it's some statement from the government--the exact opposite of what they put out is true,IMO.

15. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I think the news is generally more accurate than real life,where I don't know what the hell is going on.Sorry I'm being facetious.Just couldn't resist that.

16. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

Do you "the news" is essentially accurate?

I think essentially it is inaccurate. The bigger the story and the more they are going on and on about it, it becomes total speculation.

17. wiccan_witch

You have missed the point in that it was in bad taste - the whole thing. You don't seem to understand that it really doesn't matter if they chucked in a couple of European 'silly names' as well as the main fake names given to the pilots. I am by no means lacking a sense of humor, but an airline disaster that had JUST occured, with family and friends of the dead and injured watching? Not funny. Just lame.
    The fact that you think there was no racial intent behind the prank names is just laughable. Watch it again, AND again until it sinks in. I wasn't wrong. A culture was being made fun of. At a really inappropriate time.

18. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

one, i think it was the media that was made fun of, and two, if it was an entire culture under attack, is there an "appropriate" time?
    i can't insist on what thee point is, but the point i saw was how easily 'the media' can be duped even when they do go to the source, in this case the NTSB.

if i could put forth a point, it would be to think for yourself. and that isn't too far off from your point. you are making a point from your perspective because you are doing just that, thinking about the meaning of it and not just parroting some bullshit news sound bite.

if theres a point it should be think for yourself.

19. unedited

unedited Member

me too

I think I acknowledged that it could well have been seen as in bad taste - my phrase was 'inensitive' but yeah if you want to say it might have been in bad taste I won't disagree that it could easily be seen that way. In this context 'bad taste' doesn't bother me (like you couldn't tell).

I didn't mean they could have just 'chucked in' a couple of 'European' names to make it 'ok'... just that if the airline had been BA or Aer Lingus there'd have been the potential for just the same sort of (even in bad taste) humour. It was simply a coincidence it wasn't an Aer Lingus (Bligh M.A. O'Reilly) or Air France (Helena Anne d'Caert) or Lufthansa or Quantas... (couldn't think of German or Aussie ones that quick)...

I'm not suggesting you lack a sense of humour. The fact you think joking in this case isn't funny, well that's your opinion and it's not my place to say it's wrong - I simply have a different opinion and a different sense of humour. I can totally understand that in the context of two human deaths, that some people will think any jokes made about the event are 'lame'. But there's a big big big difference between potential insensitivity and racism. BIIIIIG difference.

What's tragic is that people who react unthinkingly with utterly misplaced accusations of racial intent become part of the problem they're kidding themselves they care about.

What, until I see the newsreader making 'slitty eyes' with his fingers? THAT would be racial and then I'd be laughing at the childishly stupid racist idiot.

Yeah you were. ;)

Inappropriate time for humour, yada yada. But you've not explained how the culture was being made fun of, nor can you. The reason these parodied name forms were used was because it happened to be a Korean flight, not because anyone was taking the p*ss out of Koreans in particular.

Meh. :|

20. Voyage

Voyage Noam Sayin

:willy_nilly: too funny!

:leaving: