Do you talk to yourself?

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by -Luke-, Apr 18, 2006.

1. -Luke-

-Luke- Member

Pretty simple question.

I'll happily admit I do at times. I think talking to yourself is part of being normal and venting emotions and thoughts. If something exciting happens and no one is around, naturally I might yell and say, for example... "ohh this is so awesome! I can't believe it's happening!" Likewise, if something bad happens I'll probably say something like... "this is shit, how am I gonna get out of this one?"

I'm almost certain most people would talk to themselves, but to varying degrees. Do you talk to yourself? How often? What about? Why?

2. synaptic aether

synaptic aether Member

i'll mostly swear outloud to my self but if i say anything else it'll be a pretty short exclaimation of some sort.

however, i catch myself talking in my head a lot. i dunno how common it is to totally talk out everything you're thinking in your head at least half the time you're awake. it's mostly when i'm all hopped up on some stimulant (like caffeine). "I wonder if that pan is clean. Is it in here? No... WTF... AhHA! Behind these fucking things. Put this here and this here and damnit... ok. Read instructions...."

i dunno... something like that.

3. lankymidget

lankymidget Worlds Tallest Dwarf

I make a point of never reading out loud to myself.

That somehow seems more embarassing than being discovered talking to myself.. But then, I'm usually working through things that puzzle me when I talk to myself!

4. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

yeah, sometimes... just random exclamations, they'd happen whether or not folks are around. things liek "ooooooh right!"

I did try and creep somebody out one time on the street... he was following me around and irritating me (hey, I was a moody teenager around then) so I started mumbling to myself, talking under my breath, just loud enough for him to hear that I was saying something but not quite loud enough for it to be made out easily

dunno if it worked, but he did stop following me around a few blocks after that. Whether it was because that was his destination anyways, I'll never know

5. MoonMaiden

MoonMaiden Member

I don't talk to myself outloud though I have been known to talk to pictures of Jimmy Page, John Lennon and Joe Strummer before... I do however talk to myself in my head alot, particularly in bed at night. I kind of 'go over' things in my head as if I were talking to someone else. It helps me to get things straight in my head I think.

6. InfluentialHarmony

InfluentialHarmony Member

I Would Be Very Sad If The Voices Stopped.

7. EMMAh

EMMAh Senior Member

I do sometimes, but I usually just say it in my head. Or I tell my dog or rat if they happen to be near by.

8. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

I'm forever talking to myself. :p

9. synaptic aether

synaptic aether Member

oh

when i'm doing some stupid job, like sitting at an assembly line doing the same 4 or so movments over and over, i'll have conversations with 1 or more other people or beings in my head.

i once talked to a sort of higher being alien life form about death and existance. it was a good conversation.

basically, we're not "allowed" to know what happens when we die because it would basically drive us insane because we wouldn't really be able to understand it. we basically stop existing in every way that we can imagen. it's nothing like any religion or mysticism thought up by humanity.

10. gaz or jazz

gaz or jazz Member

what about playing more than one part, yourself and some one else in your head?
    fucked up arent we!
    dont worry everyone talks to themselves its as essential as dreaming.

11. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

Sometimes, it's the only INTELLIGENT conversaion I get!

12. Midget

Midget Senior Member

Yup, I do!

13. MoonMaiden

MoonMaiden Member

haha! I've had that feeling before :p

14. Night_Owl49

Night_Owl49 Since 2006

I talk to myself all the time. It's actually pretty insane...

15. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

I talk to myself constantly...

And while im talking to myself ANY SPIRIT IN THE ROOM CAN ALSO HEAR ME :)

16. lion1978

lion1978 The King

I do all the time

Dude111 likes this.