Do you keep things that expire?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Peanuts, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Peanuts

Peanuts Nutz

Whether it's food or medicine...do you keep it after it's expired or do you throw it out right away?

I won't keep anything that has expired. Too afriad of getting sick. I also want my meds to have all the power to them. If they expire they won't work as good. (maybe that isn't true but I've trained my mind to think that it is.)

2. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Throw it right away.

3. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

Only milk! :rolleyes: Hehe j/k I don't keep anything after it's expired, or in the case of milk, anywhere near expiring. I may have some expired medicine, but I don't take medicine anyway. :D

4. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

Ill keep things that are expired.... there usually still good (depending on what they are) did you know kraft macaroni and cheese has an expiration date.... ill eat it afterward... tastes fine.. never got sick..... Or a granola bar... what ever... milk and meat... yes get rid of. super processed foods...eat them :)

5. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

i keep all my medicine...then sell it on the black market at school once it expires:rolleyes:

6. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

I hate it if I have to throw food away because it has expired. Of course.. I do it, but I just don't like doing it. Feels like such a waste.

7. lynsey

lynsey Banned

I keep fun perscriptions because I always take less than they perscribe but other ones I toss and I have this thing I can't eat food if it's past the date on the container even if it says sell by I can't eat it.

8. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I throw away expired medicine, it loses it's effectiveness and I would give expired meds to the kids especially.....I might take some for me if it was all I had and was desperate, though.

I am usually pretty good about using food up before it expires. Here's a trick...store your sour cream upside down, it'll keep for weeks past the due date. It works for cottage cheese too.

9. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

I've kept me and I'm expired.

10. Peanuts

Peanuts Nutz

We went over my in-laws on Saturday and my husband came downstairs with a bottle of Caster Oil that expried in 1981. He was trying to prove to me where he gets his hang on to things mentality...from his Mother.

I throw and he ignores. Great balance at times...lol

11. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

Hehe same here. Even if it's like a day or two before the date, I just can't do it... :rolleyes:

12. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I make cottege out of expired milk.

13. ImmortalDissident

ImmortalDissident Senior Member

I won't even eat things that are a few days before the SALE BY date.

And milk in particular, I won't drink it after the day it is opened.

14. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

i always keep expired stuff forever, i dont eat it but i hate throwing it away HAHA

15. NaykidApe

NaykidApe Bomb the Ban

Ive had this one lb canister of protein pwder in my backpack for like 2 years thinking "if I ever settle down somewhere I'll start working out again".

Yesterday I opened it (cuz I joined a gym yesterday), and mixed some with oj.

Tasted like old newspaper. I looked at the expiration date for the first time and realized it was probably expired when I bought it 2 yr.s ago.

16. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

I'm obsessed with expiry dates, especially dairy product expiry dates. I've had food poisoning twice now, and I really really don't want it anymore!

17. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

geez, what a waste people. hell, you can drink milk two days after it expires. alot of things are marked "sell by this date" that doesnt neccesarily mean that its bad by that date. you can usually tell when something is bad, by the mold on it, or by the smell. I never get sick......

18. bedlam

bedlam Senior Member

At work we often donate the expired medications to the poor countries. Many of the expired medications are still effective.

19. let's see, my food... i keep it in the freezer.

for expriared meds... if i really think i might need them later (im broke, ya know)- i will just take double later.