Do you explore ghost towns in your state?

Discussion in 'U.S.A.' started by BookOfOlives, May 21, 2023.

1. BookOfOlives

BookOfOlives Members

I'm from NV and so far I've explored Nelson and Delamar.

Nelson has a wonderful gift shop and lots of old, rusty cars; I saw not one, not two, but FOUR roadrunners all milling about while I was there. It's very close to the state line between AZ and NV, and if you drive a bit farther you could have a picnic on the bank of the Colorado River at Nelson's Landing. Highly recommended for a dose of quirky Southern Nevada history.

Delamar is a lot more remote, and most of the buildings are ruins. It was a mining town nicknamed the Widowmaker because of the toxic substances miners breathed in there. The area is very rustic, with no access to toilets or public facilities for miles; the closest town is Caliente. The landscape serves as a liminal space where the desert ends and where the Nevada wilderness begins (it's not all desert out here!). Saw a small group of wild horses. I recommend for the barren landscape photo ops. Bring toilet paper.

What ghost towns have you visited in your home state?

scratcho likes this.
  2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

[​IMG]

BookOfOlives likes this.
  3. MeAgain

I've been to Centrailia, PA

[​IMG]

and Livermore

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BookOfOlives likes this.
  4. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Coolest ghost town I have ever visited was in the UP of Michigan about 55 years ago. Alberta, Michigan was the abandoned Ford town that had been the mill site for maple for car frames. Mostly abandoned since the days of wood car frames it was still very intact. The sawn wood was manufactured into frame parts in Kingsford, Michigan and waste turned into charcoal……ever hear of Kingsford charcoal?

BookOfOlives and MeAgain like this.
  5. Moon Goddess

Moon Goddess Supporter HipForums Supporter

The summer between 5th and 6th grade, I went to camp in a relative ghost town, it only had a few residents left. The camp has since been closed as well. I remember how spooky the hikes we took were, through old cemeteries and past abandoned buildings. The mountain hikes were nice but a little rough for kids of 10 and 11. We visited a living history museum nearby which was interesting, people were dressed in period clothing and doing chores like making butter and carding wool.

I found this article which has a lot of pictures of the town, Walpack NJ.

BookOfOlives likes this.
  6. MeAgain

I forgot about Raush Gap. Here's a stone tower that supported a cable down into a vertical shaft mine.

[​IMG]

The cemetery
    [​IMG]
    About ten miles up the old RR bed was cold Springs, a luxury resort circa 1880.

[​IMG]

Today.

[​IMG]. ​

BookOfOlives likes this.
  7. Creamonme

Creamonme Members

I'd like to find some ghost towns in western Arkansas and eastern Oklahoma.

BookOfOlives likes this.
  8. BookOfOlives

BookOfOlives Members

Please share photos of them in this thread if you do! I haven't visited any outside of the American Southwest, and I'd love to see what other regions of the countries ghost towns look like.

9. BigTease

BigTease Members

I do like to do that have not done for awhile now but I'm going to have to get back in to it there are so many around and many have a writing telling about the town it's interesting.

10. Creamonme

Creamonme Members

I was saying that I'd like to. I have yet to do so. Although it might be a great place to use my metal detector. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that, kuya.

11. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The monthly magazine: Wierd Jersey, features odd abandoned sites. Police subscribe to the publication. Guy visited the site of a monthly feature and the cops were waiting there. He was arrested and hit with trespass charges.