Do you ever write as a therapy?

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by myself, Apr 9, 2007.

1. myself

myself just me

Do you find comfort in it?

I do. I write when I am in high spirits as a way to try and share it, and also when I'm sad or angry, trying to let off steam.

2. hippie_chick666

hippie_chick666 Senior Member

I find comfort in writing too!

Peace and love

3. sexbanshee

sexbanshee Member

Yes I do too!!

Good when I am feeling depressed as is singing..

a good channel!!

4. Lady Neko

Lady Neko Member

i do. but not all the time. i have so much going on in my life its hard to find time. i do watch two of my absolute fave movies that make me happy. the yellow submarine and my neighbor totoro. i just learned in my virginia woolf class today though that she wrote a book of writings to comfort with her illness. its called "Night and Day" i am going to buy it.

5. Aesthete

Aesthete Member

I'm most likely to write a poem when I'm down. That's the most therapeutic for me. But mostly... no, I don't write when down. Sometimes I'll watch a movie or read a book or listen to music. Or sometimes I won't do any of those things.

6. neponiatka

neponiatka Senior Member

i'm not sure it's comfort

i just write coz i need to
    coz it's bursting outa dn i know no other way to express the feelings and emotions forming into lines inside my head...

what do ya write, myself?

7. sexbanshee

sexbanshee Member

After my son was born i had very
    bad post natal depression...the
    writing helped a lot then......

.....but now I sing....that really
    helps heal the blues

:)

8. StayLoose1011

StayLoose1011 Senior Member

Absolutely :) Writing is the best fucking therapy there could ever be. I spend an hour or two a day just getting out my random thoughts, observations, joys and complaints... it just really helps to get that stuff out of there in a formal way

9. myself

myself just me

I write poems. They are still probably around here, in the Poetry forum.

10. hippie_chick666

hippie_chick666 Senior Member

I loved your poetry, Myself! Please, keep writing more!

Peace and love

11. PlaceboAddikt

PlaceboAddikt Paranoia!

i write. but i usually write rather bizarre things i'm thinking when i'm feeling... not so good... example taken from something i posted about 10 minutes ago:
    I'm so sorry if this is really long!!!!
    "Looking at the grim faces of the newscasters... looking at the darkness, the wind blowing, the cold... i have a hard time believing that we aren't living at the end of the world.

Is existence, in its essence, really just a quest to find a partner? One who understands? We must often get off track, looking at some other things people have settled with, have settled into.

Or is it all power? The quest to have all knowing power and control... To be God?

Or are they both, understanding and power, one in the same? To obey, you must understand to some degree what you are doing. Is power just another misguided offshoot of understanding? Do the power hungry think they can achieve ultimate understanding by controlling?

It makes sense. To me, at least."

12. Hobes

Hobes Member

i wright poems in my head and forget them later

13. umm...ya

umm...ya over joyed!

I do it all the time I write letters and thoughts and feelings mostly. They I read it and then burn it. I find the burning helps me let go of the bad things (that is what I write most about).

14. alex714

alex714 To the Left

Self-therapy is the only reason I write. Reading and writing unveiled the complexities of myself and life but they also seem to be the only things that help me understand it.