Do you ever just walk to the store?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Gone and forgotten, Mar 5, 2019.

1. themnax

themnax Senior Member

for this reason i take a couple of large insulated canvas bags, everything fits between the two of them. no mus no fus, on and off the bus.
    never trust the bags that have at the store, unless you double em up, tripple em up, and even then.

you put all the cold stuff in the same insulated bag, they keep each other good till you get home.
    if i'm just getting a couple of things, i've got a little canvas bag that rolled up tucks through my belt and stays just fine till filled, hands free.

also both kinds have handles that aren't gonna give out like the ones on throw away bags often and easily can.

when i'm going to need both of the big insulated canvas bags, i can fold either up and put inside the other on the outbound trip to the store,
    so i only have to carry the one thing until i fill them.

now if i had a car, i wouldn't be living in a city at all, and then of course i'd have to drive, unless i lived right next to the store,
    even then, small town or village stores, even with the price of gas, i remember it being cheaper to drive to a larger town to do most shopping.

2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Why the smiley face?

Its been 7 years now, went through a period of a couple years before that where I would take the bus if I wanted to go somewhere so I wouldnt give up the sweet parking spot out the front

Then it dawned on me, I'm just paying for the car to hold that spot

That and I hate driving in this city

themnax and EloiseAtThePlaza like this.
  3. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I live in a state where most places charge a fee per bag, so I usually brought my own large bags and/or backpack to consolidate somewhat but still I found on the bus, I either didn't have the leg room to be comfortable if I tried to keep the bus aisles clear or I had to keep shuffling the bags for people, if I wanted leg room.

Putting groceries in the trunk is really a luxury I prefer with driving, perhaps almost as much as the time it takes to pick them up in many instances.

4. Walking is always best! Unfortunately out of town shopping centres seem to be the norm now so make a list of everything I could possibly need so don't have to go often.

5. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

At home I cycle down to the village which is two miles. The little shop there is sufficient for most things. When we need to go to the big supermarket we often tie it in with my partner landing fish, and drive.

In 2015 before I'd met him I used to cycle the 20 mile round trip.

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i've always preferred to walk or bike to the store. but for the first time in my adult life, i currently don't live within reasonable walking distance to any stores. which is weird, because i'm technically in town, but the only businesses i could walk to are my dentist, a mechanic, and some factories.