Do you ever just walk to the store?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Gone and forgotten, Mar 5, 2019.

1. i like to walk to the store instead of driving. It is mostly uphill and is great for my gluteus Maximus. I like to talk to myself at this time, I find I listen better than anyone. Thank you for your time and consideration of this post and thread. Your attention is most appreciated.

2. I'm listening better than you right now. So there goes that theory.

Anyhoo, yes I walk to the store. It is right across the street. I go in the morning for coffee. Later on for beers and chips and junk. I also work there occasionally. So I have two jobs. Three if you count listening and paying close attention to others.

3. lode

lode Banned

Not to the grocery store. It's 2 miles away and my arms don't carry enough sacks.

But yes to CVS for small stuff. It's like 4 blocks away, and would be much more inconvenient to drive to.

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Nearest store is over 6 miles away... No, I don't walk there.

5. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Used to, when I lived 1 block away from a wholefoods.

6. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Whenever I can.

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yes, 5min walk to our suburbs store.
    Things are little more expensive there but it's OK, I don't mind helping out a local business.

8. Meliai

Meliai Banned

yeah I live a quick walk away from a couple of grocery stores plus a few other stores so if I only need to grab a couple of things that I can easily carry I prefer to walk.

9. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

It’s a few miles up the road so that’s fine, but with a lot of bags, it might be tough if I went alone. I could take the shopping cart home, and all the neighbors would try to have us kicked out of the ‘hood. :tearsofjoy:

EloiseAtThePlaza and Rahab like this.
  10. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Sure there’s always that one day a month that you just feel like walking rather than driving despite the fact that the store is a full 10 minutes away
    in a quiet peaceful tree-lined neighborhood.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  11. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Where I live now, I have to walk by a swamp full of transients lurking in the sticks to get to the store by foot. There’s also a jail a half-mile away too so they’re likely escaped or freshly bailed. So I’d rather drive to the store.

Irminsul likes this.
  12. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Not to the grocery store. I spent a few years taking public transportation and I despised carrying a bunch of bags on the bus or walking around with them. Something about having groceries out more than like 10 mins irks me, maybe some OCD thing, although I've had some melted ice cream sandwiches before to justify it.

I'll walk to some of the nearby convenience stores or Target if I'm just getting a couple things though.

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It's a Saturday afternoon on the east side
    Mashin' in a bucket, sippin on formeldahyde
    Pockets feeling lonely so you know I gotta go
    Pull a 2 - 11 on that neighbourhood sto!
    Mashed on the gas till I hit the pavement
    Jumped out the bucket, headed straight in
    Told the punk ass clerk put the money on the table
    I'm a lunatic and my mind is unstable
    He's stalling like a bitch, trynna stop the hit
    Shaking like a tweak so you know I dumped the clip
    16 shots, left his body on the ground
    Grabbed the register, take the money and I broke
    Out the back doors headed straight to the bucket
    Put the keys in, start the ride and I punched it
    Bein from the hood, stray shots in the day
    Lights a normal Saturday for Irm on the East Side!

14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Wasnt he a Gladiator?

15. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Do You Own A Car VG...??? Can't Say I Ever Recall You Mentioning One..... :D

Cheers Glen.

16. Visexual

Visexual Member

Heck, it's over 6 miles just to get out of our housing addition, and another three to the nearest little country store. Now there was a time that I'd run all the way but now I only walk a three mile course my wife and I do together every morning.

But I do enjoy talking to myself. That's the only time I don't have to be careful of what I say.

17. Yeah, pretty much always.

18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

when i lived closer to one i did. where i live now, because of the weird way this town is layed out, all the good ones are just a weee bit too far.
    not owning a car, that's what buses are for. we do have electric ones that run off of batteries, and one charge is good for most the day,
    or at least most of each shift, depending of course on the route.
    there are places i walk to though. there's a river walk a couple of blocks from me, and i can follow that for several miles in either direction.

19. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Suppose At A "Stretch" You Could Say I Walk To The Shops.......Shops Are 14km's Away.... So I

Walk To The Garage.....And In Town I Walk From My Car To The Shops.....Close Enough

For Me...... :D

Cheers Glen.

20. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

I have three little shops around the corner from me. I walk to all of them as it's really not worth getting the car out. But I've stopped going to one of them as the staff there took a dislike to me for some reason unknown to me. They have the best choice and stay open longest, so that's annoying, but they are also the most expensive.