Do you believe in astrology?

Discussion in 'Astrology' started by Robofish, Oct 27, 2012.

1. IMjustfishin

IMjustfishin Member

you guys sound well educated and not ignorant at all.

1 person likes this.
  2. DrewSpeaksTrue

DrewSpeaksTrue Member

Almost everything fits for me being a Libra on the Scorpio cusp. I'm not a social butterfly but the Scorpio makes me internal rather than external. I dig astrology but I know some folks never feel they fit their profile and that's fair.

3. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

I cant say I fully understand it.
    But I am into cycles analysis. And I can understand how astrology (in whatever form) can make sense, and have a practical usage.

Sadly, we hear little of real astrology. And lots from the cheap bullshit stuff that masquerades as astrology.

I had an expert do my birth chart. Its a REALLY weird birth chart hahaha. (Loads of conjunctions etc, even on the exact minute! etc)
    The reading was jawdroppingly accurate.

4. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

there is no such thing as real astrology.....stop pretending like there is scientific evidence to support even a fucking molecule of astrology.....

any person who believes the stars and planets have anything to do with their lives is wasting their time

why in the hell do you think every newspaper in the world runs a disclaimer with their horoscope columns?

it is because they don't want people to actually have faith in astrology

it is not accurate and any ideas that it works for you is your own minds playing into the bullshit you read

means you are weak minded//...that's real

1 person likes this.
  5. IMjustfishin

IMjustfishin Member

the fact that its a chart should be enough to show you that its fake.

think about it for a second. what information is in the chart?

supposedly its some information about positions of the sun, stars, moon and planets around your birthday right? and how do we get this information?
    computer models. using computer models is how we can calculate the locations of cosmic bodies at a given time.

the other way, the way they used to do it back in the day was using nothing but charts and really complex math. so did the "expert" bust out his amateur astronomy journal and a calculator? if not, then he was no expert, he was nothing but a charlatan and you, you've been had my friend, you've been had!!

6. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

which sign is the fish?...that's what you are if you believe your post....never mind that the smartest most educated people in the world laugh at your notion...they must all be wrong...the millions and millions of university grads are all wrong?

Superstition is to religion what astrology is to astronomy: the mad daughter of a wise mother.

VOLTAIRE

I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical.

ARTHUR C. CLARKE

If the people were a little more ignorant, astrology would flourish -- if a little more enlightened, religion would perish.

ROBERT GREEN INGERSOLL

Astrology is like any other superstition: It has no power unless people allow it to direct their lives.

BILL MYERS, "The Haunting"

This is the excellent foppery of the world, that when we are sick in fortune (often the surfeits of our own behaviour) we make guilty of our disasters the sun, the moon, and stars: as if we were villains on necessity; fools by heavenly compulsion; knaves, thieves, and treacherous by spherical predominance; drunkards, liars, and adulterers by an enforced obedience of planetary influence; and all that we are evil in, by a divine thrusting on. An admirable evasion of whoremaster man, to lay his goatish disposition on the charge of a star!

WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE, King Lear

1 person likes this.
  7. Peaceful_LotusFlower

Peaceful_LotusFlower Member

I find Astrology interesting and I like reading about it. I'm also interested in Astronomy as well and that's completely different. What interested me is because I love stargazing and I've always loved finding interesting topics to read about it. One day I went into Barnes N Noble and saw an Astrology book and randomly I picked up the book and bought it, lol! I'm an Aquarius and then I read how their cusps signs. Not many believe these exist though. I was born on February 18th. I love my freedom and independence more than anything. I've also did my birth chart one day. Believe it's a very interesting topic, though I don't believe in every little thing I read about it. It's always good to have an opinion of your own. I took information with me from what I learned from the book. My mother doesn't see Aquarius in me at all because from what I know Aquarius's are cold/detached. So I think it's best to always read about it and see if you agree with it or not. I'm always in between I've noticed and it annoys a lot of people. Well I find this interesting, but.... lol!! To explain myself better I believe in it to an extent. I never allow it to cloud my judgement though. If I'm wrong though, I always allow people to fully explain themselves why it's real or why it's not real. I'm always happy to hear people's opinions on topics, except for people who's jamming it down my throat and being aggressive about it. Believe it's good to always be open to hearing other people's opinions. I always wanted to find other people to discuss Astrology with. I'm sure I could learn a thing or two from other people. :daisy:

8. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Maybe because of confirmation bias?

9. HannahQ

HannahQ Members

no

2 people like this.
  10. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

No. It's all bunk.

1 person likes this.
  11. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I don't normally have a huge amount of faith in astrology, but recently a friend who is into it told me Trump would win, while all the 'scientific' polls were saying Clinton would do it.

Not saying that proves astrology is true, or that anyone with a sincere belief in statistical analysis should cease to believe.

12. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

13. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

I don't even read horoscopes.

14. Bilby

Unless I have nothing else better to do, I don't read newspapers.

15. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

they have horoscopes on the internet now. we know you read the internet.

16. Bilby

I never tried looking,They only make it all up.

17. Lady Shadow

Lady Shadow Art is But a Shadow of the Divine Perfection

I find astrology interesting. I am a true Cancerian. As far as the love matches go, I try it out for fun, just to see what the stars say about our connection, I think its entertaining, but I believe in making your own destiny, not leaving it up to the stars.

1 person likes this.
  18. hoanganhlam

hoanganhlam Members

I'm a Sagittarius and I feel astrology is correct with myself

19. themnax

themnax Senior Member

not as cause. but as synchronistic indication, not always entirely reliable, well, things do sometimes line up with it, but then of course, anything interpreted sufficiently broadly, or even completely random, might occasionally too.

it seems a mostly harmless pass time, to satisfy curiosity as to when they do. its also a thing like your name, to identify you uniquely, when it is calculated to that level of detail.

if i want accurate numbers for predictive probability, i'll turn to real science. but seldom in social conversation is this what anyone is really looking for.

1 person likes this.
  20. Cosmic wonderland

Cosmic wonderland Member

I don't believe in astrology at all. It's just another superstition. I'll stick with science. Over time, it has proven to be the only accurate & reliable method of understanding how things work. :)