do the locks make the rasta?

Discussion in 'Rastafari' started by pattymary, Aug 16, 2011.

1. pattymary

pattymary Member

what is a rasta? when you see somebody with dreadlocks in the street you say this is a rasta! but what is a rasta? is it somebody only with dreadlocks? why are people so prompt to call rasta everybody with that hair style? is it because the hairstyle means rebellion? it is a social mark to have dreadlocks and it may really mean something.. maybe the people with that hairstyle are all less or more close to the rasta philosophy and life style and rebel against the system..on the other side i know a lot of rastas that cut their locks and may be still rastas in their hearts! and for the case of beenie man for who knows him the jamaican dancehall artist is he a rasta? he has the dreadlocks! who can tell me why sly dunbar cut his locks and why gilberto gil grew his locks later in his life and yes why lenny kravitz used to have pretty locks and cut them one day?i am waiting for your comments!

2. BeccaCakes

BeccaCakes Guest

haha ok then lol u dont have to have dreads to be a rasta . people in rastafarianism have dreads to resemble the lion of jah (the lion that was slayed by emperor selassie). here are examples of rastas with dreads: bob marley, ziggy, peter tosh bunny livingston. here are examples of rastas without dreads. jimmy cliff, rita, cedella booker.
    now here are some examples of people that have dreads and are not rasta: lil wayne lil john, whoopi goldberg. you see dreads can be a symbol or they can be a style. just because you have dreads doesnt mean youre a rasta and you dont have to have dreads to be a rasta. ha do you get it now?:) and btw you dont have to be black to be a rasta. im a white rasta

3. BeccaCakes

BeccaCakes Guest

hen i said lion of jah i meant lion of judah. sorry lol

4. chillll

chillll Guest

the locks dont make the rasta, the rasta makes the locks.

5. pattymary

pattymary Member

a lot of people too make the locks and are not rastas! white or not white, that is the question!because the roots of rastas seems to be black roots!just read the information at the head of this forum section!maybe after all rasta is just what people put in it, because even in jamaica you have a lot of differents rastas, some read the bible and some burn it!maybe selassie is a common thing to rastas, but not all of them see it with the same interpretation,nothing is really precise about rasta and their beliefs.. as many say it is a way of life, and if it is a way of life, a lot of people with alternative lifestyle are rastas..it is a livity close to nature that has a lot in commun with all the movements coming from the sixties, underground, ecological lifestyles.. that s why a lot of people have dreadlocks too, it is a sign of rebellion and closeness to nature, and this is very close to rasta livity..

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Loca don't make the Rasta, because locking hair goes back into prehistory.
    Rastafarianism does not.

7. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, Celtic people and Viking people had dreads.

8. InfiniteOscillations

InfiniteOscillations Member

Yea this is silly. This is similar to saying you have to african american to be a rasta. Sillyness indeed!

9. Emanresu

Emanresu Member

BeccaCakes said "people in rastafarianism have dreads to resemble the lion of jah (the lion that was slayed by emperor selassie)"

Haile Selassie did not slay the lion of judah, he is supposed to be the lion of judah. He is the king of kings and you can't conquer the conquering lion of judah.

10. builttolast2012

builttolast2012 Member

its whats inside. i n i

11. otsile

otsile Guest

hello.you do not have to be dread to be rasta.but then again not every bald head or dreadlocked person who sing sings reggae is a rasta either.it is all in the works and have nothing to do with the looks,bless.
    www.jahbiz.com

12. mikaakim

mikaakim Guest

No. I was a Rastafarian for years before I grew dreadlocks...Now they are apart of me and will never be cut, they are my roots...They completed me and the end of my journey, not the start of it

13. wabbey

wabbey Member

It's the philosophy .