Do any of you actually live in Amsterdam?

Discussion in 'Amsterdam' started by jasonspaceman, May 25, 2005.

1. jasonspaceman

jasonspaceman Member

again, what's your point?

2. linda2210

linda2210 Member

amsterdam is not perfect like any other place,but living there is very relaxed,i can tell you that

3. velvet

velvet Banned

lol.. I think he's still stoned ;)

4. velvet

velvet Banned

absolutely! :D Which part do you live in?

I went to the Albert Cuyp area today with a Japanese friend of mine.. I always forget how nice that place is, especially the Sarphatipark.. we ate at 'Bazar' the moroccon restaurants.. really nice as well, although they only have 3 veggie dishes, good stuff though!

I live in Venserpolder (randje Bijlmer) btw.

5. prankster1590

prankster1590 Member

I grew up there. If Amsterdam is relaxed then I wonder how uptight people are in other countries.
    Is is maybe relaxed for people who spend there vacation in amsterdam but living there is just as stressfull as everywhere else.
    Relaxing they do in Surinam, Jamaica, the Bahama and the ABC islands or maybe some parts of Australia.(I've heard that Aussies are pretty relaxed too.)

6. velvet

velvet Banned

I take it you have no idea what living in Surinam is like? ;) Why would you think that living in Surinam is 'relaxed'? And Jamaica is a pretty poor country, compared with the Netherlands at least so don't go telling that they don't have any stress...

Stress is everywhere.. here in the 'western world' we stress about insurance money, dental plans, loans, which catfood is anti-allergic, what's keeping the damn train because it's late 2 minutes already, etc etc.

In another country they might stress because the goat ate half or the rope that is supposed to lower the bucket into the well, because a kid broke it's arm and the nearest hospital is on a 2 days walking distance, because there is a flood.. etc etc..

I'm totally convinced that no matter where you live in the world, there is an equal amount of happiness and stress.. you just have to find your own balance. A lot of that depends on your own personality and your luck.. imho.

7. linda2210

linda2210 Member

@velvet:there are some very goog veggie rstaurants in amsterdam,too bad you did`nt go there

living in amsterdam is very relaxed,but stressfull people you have anywhere

8. guest1234

guest1234 Visitor

Aussies are the best. Period.

9. jasonspaceman

jasonspaceman Member

I am interetsed to see what the Dutch members specifically think of this proposal? Do you think that this is an accurate depiction of the view of most dutch folks?

Ban public servants wearing headscarves: opinion poll

5 August 2005

AMSTERDAM — A majority of the Dutch public wants a new law to ban public servants from wearing headscarves or "other Islamic attire", a new poll has found.

Polling organisation TNS Nipo carried out the research for the latest edition of independent magazine Binnenlands Bestuur.

To date, a sizable majority in the Lower House of Parliament, De Tweede Kamer. has been opposed to banning religious expressions, such as the wearing of headscarves, by public servants.

The heads of municipal governments believe Islamic attire must be permitted as long as the person's face is not obscured.

TNS Nipo questioned 433 adults — 292 government employees and 50 municipalaldermen — for the poll.

There has been a growing aversion in the Netherlands in the last two years to attire associated with Muslims. A similar poll in 2003 revealed a majority felt it was acceptable for public servants to wear such garb.

Some 57 percent of the public, for instance, has a fundamental objection to a teacher wearing a head scarf. The new poll also found 77 percent and 81 percent respectively against police officers and judges wearing a headscarf.

TNS NIPO found 63 percent are in favour of a legal ban on public servants wearing a head scarf. About 80 percent expressed agreement to a large extent for the view that government employments should be banned from wearing any Muslim attire — because wearing this attire is seen as a refusal to adapt to Dutch norms.

Most political parties in Parliament said during a debate last year that the public servants could wear scarfs as long as long as this did not impact on their work, jeopardise safety or their impartiality. The populist LPF and Independent right-wing MP Geert Wilders called for a headscarf ban for government workers.

10. velvet

velvet Banned

Jason.. maybe you could make new threads about this and then maybe in the Dutch forum? Kinda gets lost here..

Personally I don't mind to see the occasional headscarf on someone in a public function, but yeah, I'd feel a bit uncomfortable if it would be the majority. I don't mind diversity.. but I would get kinda scared if all people in public functions would shave their heads or wear a headscarf or grew dreads or... you get the point :)

As for judges.. I think their appearance should be as neutral as possible. Sadly they have to have a gender and an age, but if it would ever be possible to strip those features as well, I'd prefer that ;)

11. mafuman

mafuman Banned

12. jasonspaceman

jasonspaceman Member

I agree with you actually. But what I was really getting at is whether you would be in agreement with a law being passed that prevented the wearing of religious attire in the public service.

13. jasonspaceman

jasonspaceman Member

14. mafuman

mafuman Banned

ouch

15. velvet

velvet Banned

the problem I have with a law like that is that it's too shady.. what is religious attire? Dreadlocks are a religious symbol for rastafarians, as are shaven heads for buddhist monks. What about a small necklace thingie with a 6-pointed star (Jewish), a pentagram (pagan), a cross (christian).. etc etc. From the way you dress you can see a lot about the persons character and believes, ofcourse that can be avoided by wearing a uniform, but teachers and most public people don't wear a uniform so.. shady shady.

For people who DO wear a uniform (soldiers, judges, policemen) I wouldn't mind if they would also ask to shave their heads and take off all personal jewelry.. because they already represent an authority.

It's just not possible to strip away everything that might point towards a certain religion, so singling out headscarfs seems a bit discriminating. Even though the headscarf is often seen as a symbol of female oppression, in this country women make their own deliberate choice of wearing such a head garments so.. I dunno. Shady shady..

16. fedor

fedor Member

17. sgcollins

sgcollins Visitor

if we strip all other visible affections away then we're left naked before the state. the state, for obvious reasons, doesn't want us to have any other gods before it. so the state is just another thing to worship. to me, state-worship is no less insane than any other religion or patriotism. i like people as they are -- and even the people i don't like, i'd still prefer them *as they are* instead of as they are disguised by their fears or laws.

love
    s g collins

18. Kabbalist

Kabbalist Member

19. prankster1590

prankster1590 Member

Waar van????

Fedor, wel eens tegen Ernesto gevochten??

20. velvet

velvet Banned

the user 'fedor' isn't the fighter fedor (duh).. and don't give him more attention than is absolutely needed or he won't stop blabbering about this muscle pack ;) He must have a small penis and too little money to buy a big car to be obsessing over a fighter this much :p