DMT extraction for first timer

Discussion in 'DMT' started by Chris92, May 11, 2010.

1. Chris92

Chris92 Member

So my friend will be receiving some mimosa and viridis in the mail soon, and this will be the first time with DMT for both of us. My friend is hesitant about the extraction process, not really understanding how to, so he asked if I would do it. I gladly took this offer, I'd love just the chance of extracting DMT, let alone smoking it. I've read a few methods, and they don't seem too hard. Are there many methods or just a few? Post ones you guys use too. Is it hard extracting DMT, considering I've never extracted anything before, but have a basic knowledge of chemistry? Are the chemicals that you have to buy expensive, and are there any hard to find? Also what would you recommend as a dose for a first timer with a decent amount of psychedelic experience? I know I asked a lot of questions but I've been researching a lot the past few days and these are the unanswered ones. I can't wait til it comes :)

2. Spicey Cat

Spicey Cat DMT Witch (says husband)

Hi There,

i am a woman who knows a little bit about spice.

Whatever you do stay the fuck away from youtube! That's step one.

This is a tek that is based on Noman's DMT for the Masses, which i first read in The Entheogen Review. There are significant revisions from Noman's STB tek, based on my experiences.

Here's the easiest way:

MATERIALS:

Two (2) or more half gallon mason jars
    Two (2) or more smaller jars
    A freezer
    A scale
    A gallon of Distilled Water
    A bottle of Vinegar (acetic acid)
    Food grade lye (NaOH)
    Naptha - Ronsonol or VM&P, NEVER Coleman's
    #4 or #5 coffee filters
    A pyrex dish
    Heavy duty (lye rated) gloves)
    Goggles
    Double cartridge respirator
    Long sleeved clothing
    Shoes & long socks
    One or more fans
    An eye dropper or pipette or syringe - some way to pull off a top decanted layer of material

ALSO NEEDED:

Good ventilation
    Long handled stainless steel spoon or other stirring tool
    All pilot lights turned off
    All flames extinguished
    All sources of sparks/ignition off/controlled

NOTES: You can make more by simply doing the same procedure, using more jars. It's good to have more jars on hand than you think you will need, just in case one breaks or to cover the unexpected.

If you spill any of the lye/water/mimosa solution, immediately pour vinegar all over it before attempting cleanup.

1.) Put all your safety equipment on, open ventilation, start fans, kill flames/sparks.

2.) Put about 850 mL water in the jar. Add about 125 grams lye, slowly, by stirring (stainless steel tool). It will heat up. Use eye protection! You want the lye to go fully into solution - no visible lye in the water. Let it cool for 10-15 mins.

3.) Put about 100 grams of mimosa hostillis root bark - finely ground up - into the jar and seal tightly. Shake vigorously for 2 minutes. Set aside for 2 hours. Smoke a joint if you so desire. Chill out, but do set a timer and come back to the jar in a couple of hours.

4.) Before your full 2 hours are up, begin warming your naptha. Pour hot water from your tap into a pan. Into this hot water bath, place a container of naptha. The water should not enter the container (contamination) and the container should not be sealed (expanding fumes leading to explosion/fire hazard). Ensure good ventilation near an open window with a fan. No sparks or flames. Warming your naptha is not necessary for success but it will increase your yield.

5.) Measure about 40 mL naptha and add to the jar with the water/lye/mimosa mud. Seal this jar tightly. Slowly, gently and carefully rock/roll (do NOT shake) this jar for at least 4 minutes (or more, like 8 is better if you are super gentle and arthritic like i am). Meditate on intentions.

6.) Wait 10-15 mins and come back. You should see 2 layers.

If you do NOT see the layers: Gradually add more lye, about 20-50 grams at a time and alternate with more water about 25 mL at a time. You want the solution to be black and soupy but not too thick to separate. You CANNOT hurt the DMT by adding more lye - it just makes the DMT more likely to migrate over to the non-polar solvent (naptha).

7.) Decant the top layer into a smaller jar. Sepratory funnels are fun but difficult to use for a solution this thick. Syringes and eye droppers or pipettes seem best for beginners. It is important to remove only the top clear layer and to leave the bottom mud layer (contamination) behind. Do a double decant - suck off the top clear layer quickly into another jar. Now from that separate jar, do a second decantation - being very, very careful to precisely suck off just the clear naptha - leave all dark spots and oily residues behind. Place each dropper/syringe full of second collected decantation into your pyrex dish. Ensure good ventilation and wear your respirator throughout.

8.) Repeat steps 5-7 above AT LEAST 3 times. That is, do at least 4 total non-polar solvent (naptha) pulls to get all the spice out of the root bark. Put all the collected naptha from the second decanting into the pryrex dish.

9.) Now, you want to evaporate approximately 50% of this naptha in the pyrex dish. Best way is to place in front of a window with a fan on it. Seal the room and walk away. Come back in a couple of hours. You should see significantly less volume and the naptha should now be cloudy in appearance. Great news! The naptha is now saturated with your DMT.

10.) Transfer this saturated naptha into a new, clean jar. Seal the jar tightly.

11.) Place sealed jar in the back of your freezer. Freezer should be turned UP - should be cold enough to make your ice cream rock hard. Put the jar near the back where the cold air comes in. Close the freezer and try not to peak for 12-48 hours. Sure, you can wait 8 hours but why not wait 48 to get ALL of the DMT, every last precious and magical molecule, to precipitate.

12.) Pull the jar out of the freezer and place a coffee filter over a container large enough to hold all the naptha. Pour the freezing cold naptha through the coffee filter. There will be some crystalline DMT caught in the filter.

13.) Scrape the contents of the jar out onto a pyrex dish using a knife and/or razor. Use a razor to scrape the coffee filter. Take these wet crystals and dry with a fan on low setting (don't want to lose the material when it's powder!) and watch it. Work it off and on with a razor by spreading and chopping over a period of a few hours. You want ALL of the solvent smell to be gone.

14.) Your final product should be white or off white crystals which chop up to powder. This is the freebase form of N,N, Dimethyltryptamine.

If for any reason it seems unclean or the wrong color, the best solution is to recyrstalize using heptane (Bestine) which can be found in art supply stores. Here's a link to the basic procedure: http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=399207&f=457

Hope this helps. Feel free to send or post questions.

Peace & Love,
    Spice Cat
    -Meow!

shylockcostello likes this.
  3. CaptainBeefheartFan

CaptainBeefheartFan Screwed Up

sticky this thread!!!

4. Spicey Cat

MUST smoke MORE DMT NOW, NOW, NOW! Ha ha. You have made my ego BLOAT terribly.

Peace.

Spicey Cat
    -Meow!

5. Spicey Cat

A friend asked me to update this tek with a few more details and things i have learned recently, so here it is. i hope you like it!

Peace & Love,
    Spicey Cat,
    Brrrrp!

6. Elijah

Elijah Member

doesn;t lye have the ability to etch glass?

7. Spicey Cat

i am no chemist, but not to my knowledge. i wouldn't mess with anything other than HDPE plastic when dealing with lye . . . and always recommend glass/pyrex.

Peace & Love,
    Spicey Cat
    Purrrr!

8. phlyfinch

phlyfinch Member

this helped me alot thanks :D

9. Overdose

Overdose Member

spicey cat what is the typical yield from 100 grams of MHRB using your technique?

10. Spicey Cat

Highly variable and i cannot figure out the factor that makes it so.

Yield tends to be right around 1.0% on average, so 100 grams of bark yields approx. 1 gram of freebase DMT. But, i've seen it as low as 0.6% (600 mgs) and as high as 1.5% (1.5 grams).

Peace & Love,
    Spicey Cat
    Brrrrrp!

11. aiwaseverywhere

aiwaseverywhere Member

as a side note to this tek and any for that matter a hirsch funnel is very good at drying out wet crystals. You could prob order them online. if you put wet crystals in the funnel you can use suction to draw the moisture out for quick drying. A vacuum attachment could provide your source of suction. I've dried non DMT crystals that i have just crystalized in org chem lab in less than 5 min.

12. aiwaseverywhere

aiwaseverywhere Member

larger quantities could be done using a buchner funnel with the same principle.

13. Spicey Cat

These are exceedingly cool pieces of glassware, but IMHO absolutely unnecessary (same with a Sepratory funnel) to extract DMT. Non-polar solvents evaporate quickly, especially with a fan on them . . .

i believe one can also create a vacuum filtration rig using the water faucet - saw a tek for that somewhere. Thought i might use that for my next mescaline extraction . . . .

14. Overdose

Overdose Member

About to start acquiring materials... Another question: the vinegar in this tek is only used for cleaning spilled lye? Thanks!

15. Spicey Cat

Precisely. It is an easy to procure and use safety measure and cleanup tool. Let's hope you don't need it . . .

16. Overdose

Overdose Member

Sounds like you know what you're talking about, I'm about to start the extraction. All the other guides I've read say you have to acidify the material before adding the base, can you reassure me that this is not necessary? :)

17. Overdose

Overdose Member

Ah, nevermind. After reading a bit more I'm reassured. Acid is needed for defatting and converting alkaloids to salts, which isn't necessary for MHRB because the fat content is pretty minimal and the dmt alkaloids are already in salt form. Piece of cake!

18. Spicey Cat

Yeah Overdose, you are correct. If you were attempting extraction from any other plant, you would have to acidify, defat, etc. But, the beauty of MHRB is that you can use a variety of teks, A/B (acid/base) and STB (straight to base) and get similar results . . . i posted this particular tek because it is easy and produces satisfying results in a reasonable amount of time . . .

Hope your extraction goes well . . . let us know!

19. Elijah

Elijah Member

you could also dry out the crystals using anhydrous epsom salts probably

20. Spicey Cat

Once the naptha is poured through a coffee filter, i usually just air/fan dry . . . rather than attempting additional chemistry. The solvent completely (100%) evaporates, and rather quickly . . .