Discriminated.. :/

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Sunny Afternoon, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Sunny Afternoon

Sunny Afternoon Member

Okay, so I'm on a music course at my college.. There are only two girls, myself included. I play bass guitar.
    Well, anyways. Guys sometimes make comments such as "You're alright for a girl".. or sometimes "girls can't play instruments for shit" and "bass is a man's instrument" These kind of things don't seem to bother my friend Leanne.. but they upset me, because I try really hard and all I seem to get is shit from some of my classmates and it's all because I'm female. :/
    I don't know whether to complain or not, perhaps I'm just being a pillock and I should ignore it like the other girl. *shrug*

2. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

well, you could complain to the instructor (you said it was at a college, I'm assuming someone's there teaching/guiding)

or you could ignore it like the other gal

or you could insult them back based on gender stereotypes. Which may perpetuate those stereotypes, or make them realize that gender roles are fucking stupid.

I would say ignore it, because there are a lot of morons out there, and you can't let every one of them get to you. But I understand how frustrating it is.... I get angry when people make "jokes" based exclusively on gender stereotypes (ie a women's perfect day is this, man's perfect day is this, hahahah. Women like shiny things and men like blowjobs, sort of a thing)

3. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Stop bitching and take it like man! :p
    Seriously just ignore it. Just be the best that you can be. Prove them wrong.

4. winston Smiths Diary

winston Smiths Diary Member

tell them to shove it! your a cool bass player!

5. ZePpeLinA

ZePpeLinA Jump around!

just ignore them...they're not worth it...you're good at your playing and it shouldnt matter if you're a boy or a girl. dont worry ;)

6. Abyle

Abyle Member

Sorry, but that's HILARIOUS! :)

Personally, I would tell them little boys can't perform sexually, and ignore them from there on out.

7. Jedi

Jedi Self Banned

This is at a university? wow, but anyway, if it bothers you could complain perhaps to the student body?- anyway , one thing I learned from my brief existence is that there are people everywhere who want to see you down, depressed and they wish to reign supreme. If you give them the chance, they will decide to make you their carpet. So whether you say it or not its your wish, but just don't agree to be someone's carpet no matter how nice and friendly you get.

8. Jedi

Jedi Self Banned

Stop Being In Total Control Honey and take it like a man (arrugh?)!
    Seriously just ignore it. Just be the best that you can be. Prove them wrong.

9. Abyle

Abyle Member

I'm gonna disagree with the last post. They're not harming you, and if you get up in arms over a personal issue and depend on others to battle YOUR relatively small battle, they'll perceive you as both weak and petty. Consulting your student body is for serious problems, and you need to learn to deal with your own problems first. They're just idiots.

10. Jedi

Jedi Self Banned

Harrassment takes many forms, the reason they have some type of an organization is that it could fight for you, you are there to learn, not fight.

11. Taylor

Taylor Repatriated

find something vaguely phallic about the instrument theyre playing and mock them about that. Or if they play the guitar or something like that, make up some freudian thing about how the guitar looks like a vagina and that insecure men often take play guitar to cement their attatchment to their mother... its very easy to turn it on to them. :D

12. Jedi

Jedi Self Banned

Harrassment takes many forms, the reason they have some type of an organization is that it could fight for you, you are there to learn, not fight.

13. ACE

ACE Member

Totally outplay em!
    As the type of guys that they seem, thatll just kill em.

14. flowerchild17

flowerchild17 I practice safe sax.

First off, a salute to a fellow female bass player!:D

But as someone else said, just outplay them. The exact same thing happens to me because I'm a short little chick with tiiiiiiiiiny little hands. Whenever I say to anyone that I play bass, no one ever believes me becuase my hands are so small (They can only reach across 3 1/2 frets) but damned if I couldn't outplay any of em. I've not had to deal with any of the since.

Or you could just beat them over the head with taht bass of yours, that'll take care of them, too:p (just make sure you don't hurt your baby!:eek:) good luck dear :)

15. Sunny Afternoon

Sunny Afternoon Member

Cheers you lot. I'm gonna try and ignore them.. but I'm afraid I had to have a word with one of my tutors today. I forgot to mention that besides all the stick I get for being both female and playing bass.. I also get stick for being a vegetarian and I'm sick of it.
    I only told my tutor 'cause I needed to tell someone, he's not gonna say anything to them.

But yeah, today I got "female bassists are pointless" and someone threw a piece of bacon on my arm... :/ Bastards.

16. Hippievixen

Hippievixen Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

so what do you play???

flute here :)

17. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

i hate to tell you this, but it might not get better once you leave school. there is a lot of sexism in the creative fields, because it isn't easy to prove discrimination when they can just say they didn't like your style. one of my friends plays bass, and she had tried to find work in a band. she eventually gave up because she kept being told, "chicks don't play bass."

18. lynsey

lynsey Banned

When I used to complain about being discriminated against because I was a woman my mom told me to get used to it and get enough education so I have the ability to not be subjected to as much of it. I wish I could say it gets better but it doesn't it gets worse but is more discreet. I work in a male dominated company and today three women (including myself) got our hours cut-no men did.

19. StarFaerie

StarFaerie Member

There's nothing you can do about the fact that they cut all the women's hours but not the men's? That doesn't sound right, have you looked into it? about the first poster, just ignore them and get better than them (if you aren't already!) They do that because you're a threat you know ;)

20. Diddy Dreads

Diddy Dreads Member

Im About To Learn Bass Yay Me, And My Mate Doing It Is Femaile, Ive Got 3 Other Female Mates Who Play Bass. I Have To Say Mayebe Im Just Wierd But I Love Watching Females Play Bass, Tis Res Sexy. So Maybe These Guys Are Gay.....