discover (probably) the best unknow psychedelic rock band in history!

Discussion in 'Music' started by KasabianRulesMan!, Jan 27, 2005.

1. KasabianRulesMan!

KasabianRulesMan! Member

here he comes ...THE FAMILY (their 6 LP's were in the top 20 uk lp's!) were a successfull band in UK but ...they never had success in the rest of the world.
    They made 6 album between 67 to 73 and had many changes in the band with 3 phases of style in their music :
    For me their least interesting era is their 2 albums from 1970 and 1971 that are more folk oriented
    Then their 2 albums from 72 and 1973 are better with an rock or even an hard rock edge
    But if you want to taste great lost treasure of psychedelia their two first albums: "Music in a doll's house" dec.67 and Family Entertainment dec.68 are essentiel to trip...you will not be disappointed especialy if you like early Traffic and the 2 first Pink Floyd or even the Spirit albums (until Dr. Sardonicus)
    For the people who already know them ...i just want to have your critics 'bout this band !

2. Shineoncrazydiamond

Shineoncrazydiamond Member

Im deffinitely going to look into them. I love finding new, good music....new to me. Ill let you know what I think,
    thanx man

3. gnombient

gnombient Member

All I know about Family is that John Wetton (bass/vox for King Crimson 1972-75) played on two of their albums-- Fearless (1971) and Bandstand (1972).

4. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

well now I gots a new ebay target......

5. BakedPhish

BakedPhish Member

Could you tell me where i could find any of there stuff ?

6. hiddendoor

hiddendoor Member

[​IMG]
    Amen to that,
    their first album music in a doll's house is one of the best british psych era albums IMHO, amazing album
    some people struggle a bit with Roger Chapmans vocals, seems to elicit a love or hate response, personally I think his voice is top and only adds to the overall trippyness of the album, heard other people compare him to Larry the Lamb, fuckin' great album though

7. Shineoncrazydiamond

Shineoncrazydiamond Member

wait- where am I gonna find this?

8. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

Yeah, I have heard of them and maybe even heard a song or two...but where can I get them? Soulseek comes to mind but my school banned that.

9. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

I'll search for them on bearshare tomorrow, soulseek doesn't seem to work anymore for me... o_O

10. Skelter

Skelter Helter

i just downloaded it from soulseek

11. KasabianRulesMan!

KasabianRulesMan! Member

You can make a command in amazon.com or even in your nearest discmarket...
    Personnaly i find their first album..."music in a doll's house" even better to the rest ...when i discover it a year ago ...i was on my knees ...i was waitin' this album from a long time ago...i was sure that not only Syd Barrett and the Pink Floyd were highbohemiantrippers...well...but there's so many other psychedelic treasure that i have discovered and other to discover...
    If somebody know a very impressive psychedelic band and album (maybe i will already know them) ...well i want to know the name of the band...just for my collection of friday trippin' nights under the clouds cleared by a distant moonlight...yep well
    bye

12. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

13. exhibita

exhibita Member

I can't decide but I found this web radio site with a vast playlist called 'Technicolor Web of Sound.'

Peace. :)

http://www.techwebsound.com/

14. KasabianRulesMan!

KasabianRulesMan! Member

thanx
    it's excellent to discover bands
    there's a band called FIVE DAYS WEEK that a friend talk me about...i will go now see what kind of sound this can be...

15. exhibita

exhibita Member

You're welcome.

Never heard of Five Days Week but now it seems to me that psychedelic was as abundant in the '60's as alternative was in the '90's or metal in the '80's

16. KasabianRulesMan!

KasabianRulesMan! Member

Yeah you're right all those moovement will always been underground moovement even in the hippie era only Humperdinck or Tom Jones were on the top of the charts ...rock n roll is a fight to take the power in an illusion land (made of clean stars for gentle parents over their comfortable seats)...

17. hiddendoor

hiddendoor Member

[​IMG]

Would this be the one you are talking about, I have this and to be quite honest its okay but not essential, some of the band were also from the better known 60's outfit The Action

18. exhibita

exhibita Member

I see that 'Behold and See' by Ultimate Spinach got a top review.

I only heard Mind Flowers and I was very impressed. :)

19. hiddendoor

hiddendoor Member

yeah if you like Mind Flowers you'll love the rest of that album, that and the S/T one are all-time favourites of mine ( as if you couldn't tell)