Disaster Artist

Discussion in 'Movies' started by 6-eyed shaman, Feb 15, 2018.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Totally recommend this film:sunglasses:

It was made by James Franco and Seth Rogen.

It's based on a true story about a guy named Tommy Wiseau, who in 2002, had big dreams of becoming a movie star.

He was a short, awkward, weird looking dude with an unrecognizable accent. He was a terrible actor, got rejected by every single casting call. Until he and his friend from acting school got together and made an independent film called The Room. Written and directed by Tommy Wiseau.

The Room was supposed to be a tragedy movie about a successful businessman whose fiance cheated on him with his best friend. All his friends betray him, and winds up taking his own life.

But it was so terribly written, and so awkwardly performed and directed, that it became very laughable and funny to watch. Today, the Room is a cult classic that is remembered today as a movie that is so bad, it's good.

Here's a sample of Tommy's grand performance. Here, his character expresses his fury that his girlfriend has accused him of physical abuse

James Franco plays as Tommy Wiseau. The Disaster Artist is put together based on the testimony of the actors who worked with Wiseau, and the putting together of this disaster of a film. It's hilarious and a must see.

2. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I saw the trailer for this and thought it looked good. I never did see it though.

I don't know why--I can't put my finger on the reason--but watching James Franco is about as pleasant as gargling lemon juice, salt, and thumb tacks

3. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I was introduced to the accidental genius of The Room a few months ago. It was honestly one of the funniest movies I've seen in a very long time. I've been meaning to check out the Disaster Artist, so I'm glad to hear that it's worth seeing.

LISAAAAAA, YOU'RE TEARING ME APAAARTTTT!

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I'm intrigued.

The Room is on youtube? Gonna watch that first of course

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I've been wanting to see it but I've been putting it off until I see The Room first

But also I think James Franco is vaguely annoying so I havent watched it yet for that reason too. Cute, but annoying

6. Asmodean

Where would you look for these movies, guys? I don't torrent anymore..

7. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I think this is the full version, but you need to sign into youtube to view:

8. Asmodean

Thanks!

I'm wondering about the easiest way of watching Disaster movie as well (without buying it of course) :p
    I'm willing to rent a hard copy like I used to but where do you guys get a 2017 movie from these days? I only use Netflix... Bit out of getting the newest movies tbh!

9. Asmodean

Are you really getting new movies by such dubious means you can't tell? ;)

Hints please! :) Where did you got Disaster movie, 6-eyed?

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Do you not have a way to rent it online?

I usually just rent movies through my x box live account

If you're really just set on watching it for free the Amazon firestick is a good way to do that

11. Asmodean

Thanks, i'm not aware of both options! I just used torrents as long as I could and now depend on others :p
    Renting through your game console account on an xbox? Or just on a computer? I guess that could work on a ps4 too (don't have an xbox live account).

I wonder what games are on your xbox now too :)

12. deleted

deleted Visitor

13. Asmodean

Renting a hard copy again would feel strange after so many years, but its actually not hard if I'm at my place in the city. There's still a rental service at pretty much walking distance.

14. Asmodean

I'm spoiled i guess. I don't like to settle for 'not so bad' (well, i can for The Room, but not for Disaster artist i think). But thanks for the tip! Good to know all options :)

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Yeah I would assume PS4 has the same option. I do it through the console. I actually haven't played video games since the days of Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario :D I just use it for streaming Netflix and other streaming apps

16. Asmodean

Yups, I use my Ps4 also for Netflix. Otherwise I couldn't even use Netflix atm lol. But works great. So great i haven't bothered about the newest movies I might dig.. (except the new Star wars naturally) :p

17. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I saw it in theaters. I suppose it’s not in theaters no more?

I’m not sure if it’s better to watch The Room or Disaster Artist first.

18. Asmodean

I'm not sure, I rarely go to the movies. But if its released in cinemas end of december it might be! In fact, its probably not out on dvd or rental service sites yet.
    Ah well, I'm a patient man :p

19. Asmodean

Totally forgot about this until the movie with Franco popped up on Netflix. Watched it and took notice of some scenes of The Room.

Yeah, intriguing guy that Wiseau and more importantly how he financed that movie. And worthy portrayal in The Disaster artist!