Didn't he do well ???

Discussion in 'U.K. Politics' started by Vladimir Illich, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Best place for her - stuck on a spike atop a pole !!!

Police probe statue of Thatcher’s severed head on a spike

Andy Wells
    24 February 2021, 2:55 pm
    [​IMG]
    The statue of Margaret Thatcher's severed head on a spike is at the site where a bronze figure will stand in the former PM's home town. (SWNS)

Lincolnshire Police have launched an investigation after a statue of Margaret Thatcher's severed head on a spike appeared in Grantham.

The sculpture was discovered atop a plinth reserved for a £300,000 statue of the former prime minister, which is set to be unveiled to commemorate her birthplace.

After pictures of the statue began to appear, Lincolnshire Police confirmed they were investigating.

A spokesperson said in a statement: “We can confirm a crime of criminal damage has been recorded relating to damage to the plinth.

[​IMG]
    The sculpture was discovered atop a plinth reserved for a £300,000 statue of Margaret Thatcher. (SWNS)
    “We are liaising with South Kesteven District Council and will investigate any offences identified.”

Art teacher Mark Robla, 34, claims he created the statue over a five-month period and used the cover of darkness to erect it at 4am on Sunday.

Watch: Margaret Thatcher was threatened with poll tax fine

Robla said he decided to make his homemade figure in a bid to save South Kesteven District Council hundreds of thousands of pounds.

The artwork is made from plaster and an old £5 office chair and Robla’s 5ft creation also depicts Thatcher's iconic handbag sitting at the base.

Sculptor Robla, of Grantham, said: “I moved to Grantham about a year ago from North Wales where Thatcher isn't too popular.

"I had seen the statue was going to be unveiled and thought I might as well do my own version and I've saved the council hundreds of thousands of pounds.

“I started off making a full figure but the arms kept falling off over time so I had a bit of an episode and decided to stick her head to a spike.”

Thatcher, who died in 2013, was the daughter of a shopkeeper and was born and raised in Grantham before gaining a scholarship to study at Oxford University.

She served as prime minister from 1979 to 1990 and still divides public opinion today.

Robla added: “A lot of my thoughts about Margaret Thatcher come from being Welsh. Mines closed down and she was never a positive figure in our household growing up.”

“But I know a lot more people didn’t like her for what she did to the community where I grew up in North Wales.”

[​IMG]
    The statue of the former PM was rejected by London and instead offered to South Kesteven District Council.

It was acquired for £300,000 with money mainly being raised through public fundraising, private donations and supporters of the Grantham Museum.

The actual statue is currently being stored in a secret location after an unveiling ceremony set to cost taxpayers £100,000 has been postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.