Describe a Yuppie for me.

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by RawAndNatural, Apr 2, 2007.

1. RawAndNatural

RawAndNatural Member

Well, I hope that I'm not one for asking. Anyway, using a few context clues from someone saying that "Mother Earth News magazine is just for a bunch of yuppies now", gives me the idea that a yuppie acts or desires to be earth concious, but they want all their luxuries still. Another idea that I have is that yuppies are just environmentally minded people with money, or city slickers that want to go back to nature. I don't know. Clarify this for me please. Besides, did I spell "yuppie" right?

2. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

I don't know how to describe it.......go to Connecticut or Mass............they seem to congregate there.

3. Musikero

Musikero Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I thought a yuppie was a young urban professional, which would accurately describe me.

4. young_deadhead

young_deadhead I Love Lucy

5. Henry151

Henry151 Member

Yuppie is the neologism for the consumers identified in the advertising category "Young Urban Professional" or "Young Upwardly Mobile Professional." The acronym pejoratively describes said socio-economic demographic group as selfish, materialistic, and psychologically superficial people with much disposable income.

Originally, the word "Yuppie" entered wide use during the Gary Hart presidential campaign of 1984, as a neutral descriptor of the political demographic group of socially liberal, but fiscally conservative voters favoring his candidacy. Yet, when Newsweek magazine declared 1984 The year of the yuppie, the word shed its political connotations and gained its current negative and social-economic connotations.

And that would be all that wikipedia has to say on the subject.

A yuppie pulls into a parking spot in his new BMW. He opens the door, and before he can get out a car drives by and smashes the door off. When the cops show up, he's sitting in the drivers seat still. "Officer, officer, look at what he did to my beeemer!!! He didn't even stop, just took the door right off!!! my beemer!" he whines. The officer looks at him and says "You fucking yuppie!!! you make me sick. You're so busy whining about your god-damn BMW that you didn't even see that he took you're left arm off with it too!" The yuppie looks down at the stump where his arm was and gasps---

"Oh my god, where's my rolex?!?!?"

6. RawAndNatural

RawAndNatural Member

Thanks for the info guys. Henry, that's a funny joke, dam! Whew, so I'm not a yuppie, even though I subscribe to Mother Earth News. I'm just a young man that has a labor job in a warehouse, and I live in the country.

7. dudenamedrob

dudenamedrob peace lily

lol that was good Henry

8. sodabandito

sodabandito Member

Well as far as I can tell...Henry is pretty much right, although he gives quite an elaborate definition. To me, a hard working guy living paycheck to paycheck on a blue- collar income, a "YUPPIE" is what I consider my boss(es), you know, those guys that walk around all clean and nice, tie and dress shoes, etc; They usually travel in groups and are pretty much out of touch with reality as regular people see it. Thats just how I use the word, though. For example, today, at my job, some sales type/ CSR/ management people were out walking around the plant I work in, and i said to one of my co-workers, "what are those fucking yuppies doing here?"

9. sodabandito

sodabandito Member

PS....hey RawAndNatural, I love the GK Cesterton quote, and I work in a warehouse too, so you probably have some "yuppies" at your job then.

10. Number6

Number6 Member

During the 60's there were less than a million true hippies in the USA. The rest of them were wannabies who came to the movement not because of ideology, but because it was cool. In the 70's those hippie wannabees became the Disco subculture. In the 80's, they became Yuppies, also known as Reagan Democrats. In the 90's they became Clinton Republicans and finally voted for GW Bush, not once, but twice. These people are fad followers, shallow and self centered. They are the worst part of the Baby Boomer Generation. Marketing Wonks love them because you can sell them literally anything. Politicians love them because all it takes to get thier vote is good hair and a nice smile. When people talk about the Me Generation, they are not really talking about the Baby Boomers as a whole, they are really refering to this paticular subculture.

11. sodabandito

sodabandito Member

yeah, good point Number6, and MOST of us will be pretty damn glad to see them retire!!!

12. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

to actually address the comment, as a long-time MEN reader, I think the comment is on the consumerist emphasis the magazine took once the original couple of crews left.
    Once it was all about off grid, cheap land that you could coax into farm production and slaughter tips, along with lots of "folks" and almost bumpkinesque phrases.
    Now it is a slick magazine focused on making your solar home blend in with the other quarter mil tract homes in your neighborhood, and which NEW tractor is best.
    While that has it's place, where do today's back-to -the-landers go? Back Home mag?

13. allegedly

allegedly Member

I was just about to post a picture of my ex but that would just be too fucking mean.

He is a "BMW enthusiast."

14. RawAndNatural

RawAndNatural Member

Ah, I love your reply! You are so right about the advertising in the magazine. I definitely don't care about what tractor is best. In fact, this month's issue covered an article that said "you can do more with a pickup".

Back Home mag? Yes, I subscribe to that one also. Backwoods home is too malitia type for me, so I'm not resubscribing to that one. Heck, Countryside is half decent, but still filled with ads and gadgets.

I like the way that you explain how many "green" people want the feel good feeling of making evironmentally friendly purchases, but yet they still want their home to keep up with conventional home.

15. purple-moss

purple-moss Member

MEN went to crap after the mid 80's ...tho i am so glad that they have their archives available for free online....i just love going thru it!

backwoods and country side are okay but i pretty much just check them out at the library and photocopy the articles i like....lol

most of the time i can find more imfo online then in those magazines ....they are mostly just a waste of paper.

16. Loveminx

Loveminx Sports Racer

Yups who are dating someone become D.I.N.K.s...
    (Dual Income No Kids)

So many fancy words for people who have money...

17. Freewheelin Franklin

Freewheelin Franklin Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Ah, and then there are puppies; Poor Urban Professionals. Yuppies are what we called preps back then; the dorks with the Izod shirts and the conservative hair-dos. Yuppies ain't hip.
    Now, Yippies, like Abbie Hoffman, were uber-political hippies.

18. knotdirty

knotdirty Over the Rainbow

I always thought of yuppies as W.A.S.P.s (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant)

Or people who wear polo shirts with khakis and loafers who buy their 16 year old kids $20,000+ cars.

Oh, and they own pomeranians.

19. Archemetis

Archemetis Senior Member

i also thought yuppies where those characters wandering about, who act as though they know whats going on, when in reality they have no idea. dem still look to the weather man to know which way da winds blows.

20. wootier

wootier Member

so a yuppie would be somewhere close to a yippie, but not even a hippie... or is it just a vaque similarity