Department of education

Discussion in 'New York' started by Mamluke13, Jan 31, 2018.

1. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

What you say sounds true, but a good teacher will often avoid disrupting a class for every minor comment. Then something suddenly happens that breaks the camels back. In reality, the teacher feeling under the weather could contribute.
    Here in the UK. we get very few complaints about teachers, but I don't know if that is the same in your country.
    I would arrange a meeting with the school to discuss your child's progress. keeping well of the subject of complaints. You may well find out things that you did not know and be able to jointly resolve them.
    Students who are disruptive are not evil and often cannot see the damage they are doing to the class achievements.
    I am sure that you have been frustrated and annoyed with your child a few times. Just imagine having 120 of them a day.
    PS, I am just suggesting how I feel that things could have transpired. I am not saying that it is the whole story in your case.

2. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I think you are underestimating how difficult it is to be a teacher, and to do your job well. In my experience, most teachers care deeply, and would love to stop anything that inhibits their student's success. But it ain't that simple.

3. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Sorry to hear that this happened Mamluke. Do you want to say specifically what happened?

Basically, if you want anyone to take action on your behalf, it has to fit into an empowered interest group's agenda.

Could be that the teacher's union is able to deflect anything else.

It's not possible to say whether what you are saying has any merit or not without knowing more.

It's certainly the case though that if someone has the opportunity to be an asshole without having to face consequences, it's unsurprising if they take that opportunity.

4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Here we go.....Union's are bad!
    Could it be that the teachers' union demands that the rule of law be applied before any teachers are denied the same rights as anyone else?

Kerri likes this.
  5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

If I were you, and this seriously bothered me I would ask to be put in a different class. Or take it the next term with someone else. Also make sure your counselor knows that it bothers you. This way the counselor can put in a word with your new teacher that it's a sore subject. You may find that the administration cares a great deal. But only if you go through the proper channels. Good Luck Mamluke13! Is this in a college class or high school?

Mamluke13 likes this.
  6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

we should probably just not have schools anymore. too many opportunities for hurt feelings. i assume you also filed a grievance over your D in english?

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  7. Mamluke13

Mamluke13 Members

Thank u but I did bring it up to my counseler and the principal but they justed ignored me. I went to OEO that is suppose to deal with thongs like that but the only thing they do is write referrals to the person above them andnits up to them if they were to do anything

8. Mamluke13

Mamluke13 Members

Yeah its pretty messed up how come they allow people to get away with mistreatment and they allow it to continue I never knew the board of education was so evil

9. newbie-one

If you read my post, said that the union could be deflecting complaints.

I also said
    You seem to have a tendency to leap to conclusions and to see the world in strictly black and white terms of "us" and "them".

Mamluke13 likes this.
  10. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I would have asked for a parent/teacher conference and addressed my issues with that teacher in the company of a school administrator. Ive actually had to do this recently.

11. MeAgain

Yes, you said the union could be deflecting complaints, you didn't say the union could be working to better student lives and their education when complaints are brought up.
    Why do you seem to think the union could be deflecting complaints instead of assuming they were helping?
    Why didn't you present a balanced opinion yourself?

Here is your statement in context:
    I read this as the union is an empowered interest group that will not take action to protect students as it has its own agenda.
    And further down:
    I assume you're talking about the teacher, not Mamluke?
    Have you already decided that the teacher was being an asshole and not having to face consequences for his/her actions because of the protection of the union or are you saying that Mamluke was being an asshole and not having to face consequences, although (he) feels he was called out for being an asshole by a rude teacher?

Then a few posts down Mamluke goes a step further:
    I assume he's talking about the teacher mistreating him, or do you think it's the other way around? Is he complaining that he got away with being the asshole?

So we have a union that could be protecting an asshole teacher and a school board that is evil!
    If I have it wrong please correct me. Who do you feel was being an asshole?
    For myself, I stated quite early that rude behavior is relative. I don't know the entire situation as Mamluke is being quite vague, I don't know who, if anyone, is at fault.
    I never brought the union into the conversation, you did. Why??

Mamluke13 and Kerri like this.
  12. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

This.

13. Mamluke13

Mamluke13 Members

So the teachers union don't care about the students is that why they protect teachers who see bullying and do nothing? And I wonder why OEO did not make much of an effort in stopping the abuse or atlwast bring it to the forefront t

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

did you write a letter to the OEO? he probably couldn't read it.

15. newbie-one

The union could be fucking goats up the ass too, are you therefor biased because you didn't mention that possibility? It was not my intention to present an exhaustive description of all things that the union could be doing, nor is it prejudicial not to do so

That's because, as I said

I was not referring to the union. I was however suggesting that the union's primary purpose is to represent its membership, and therefor there has to be a force strong enough to make it act in a way contrary to that objective.

No, I am speaking generally. As I said

If you want to know what Mamluke meant, why don't you ask him? How I am I supposed to know what Mamluke meant?

If you read my OP, you would see that I said, in reply to Mamluke

Is there any chance that I could be banned for answering that? :)

16. MeAgain

So what you are saying is that the teachers' union primary goal is the protection of its members?
    What does that mean?

If this was a general statement about the world at large, why did you make it in this thread?
    Are you saying it has no relevance to this thread at all?

17. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Is the OP 16 years old?