Denominations?

Discussion in 'Sanctuary' started by Portalguy, May 22, 2007.

1. Portalguy

Portalguy Member

What's everyone's Denom? I'm Evangelical but was raised Roman Catholic.

2. dollydagger

dollydagger Needle to the Groove

I dont believe in denominations.....im a christian and that is enough.........but I must say, you jumed from one end of the spectrum to another

3. Portalguy

Portalguy Member

Yes. I suppose I did. Actually you can throw Buddhism in between. A religion I still admire in a lot of ways.

4. dollydagger

incorporating aspects of buddhism into christianity is something that i have been doing as of late......i think the buddha and christ were brothers, in a sense. I am begining to recognize the Buddha as a spiritual father.

5. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

i agree with you here. i'm not actually 'christian' by the normal definitions, but i am a reader of the bible and i take christ's teachings as examples of love and forgiveness. i don't take christ as anything more than a man, so name it what you would.

it would also be safe to say that i am a buddhist and a nazerite.

i was raised as roman catholic until i was about 18. i was a staunch believer and defender of the religion.

i like to discuss christianity, though. that's why i am intruding on your forum :D

6. dollydagger

its not intruding!!! welcome! i look foward to having great discussions with you, natural philosophy......and this forum is for all....

7. dollydagger

for all those who have questions about denominations, read 1 Corinthians... the whole book

8. BudToker

BudToker Senior Member

Same, I was wondering if I could post here too. Any objections of an Agnostic Christianity supporter posting in this part of the forums?

9. dollydagger

i have absolutely no objection! everyone here seems to maintain a level of respect of everyone's views, so long as we dont lose sight of that..... different views make for great conversation, wouldn't you say?

10. Portalguy

Portalguy Member

No, I think from the very beginning it was supposed to be for Christians and their supporters. You're more than welcome here if you're either I'm sure.

11. dollydagger

I believe that everyone here who has posted does have Christian views or supports them. Like I said in the above post, as long as there is a level of respect. I like opposite views, and I like to be questioned. To me, they are both tools to strengthening my beliefs, and they make my convictions more concrete...I think that to better understand others, we must understand ourselves. And others' views give me a better sense of my own.

12. natural philosophy

i wish more christians had this view. i might be generalizing, but i live in the south, under the 'bible-belt' as they call it, and 90% of people i've spoken to about philosophy just want to close their eyes and reference scripture to counter my arguments. it's rare that i meet a christian that is willing to listen to me talk about buddhism or other philosophies. it blows some people's minds lol.

13. dollydagger

where in the south are you?

14. natural philosophy

15. dollydagger

im in south carolina....that's bible belt!!!

thank you for your kind comments.....i hope that i can somehow demonstrate to people that not all christians are close-minded (i have met the same people that you speak of). I am an avid student of philosophy, and i have always been turned on by buddhism....im one of those few christians that can believe that ther is one central truth hidden in all faiths.

thank you, brother! and i look foward to having many a great discussion with you!!

16. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

I'm Seventh-day Adventist. Most of us are peace luvin vegetarians.

17. GuruLite

GuruLite Member

I'm a UU. *ducks for cover* Please don't hurt me.

Most UUs don't consider themselves Christians, and most Christians don't consider UUs Christians either, but I'm a bit of both...just a Christian with a strong sense of openness.

And just because I have a feeling someone will ask, UU stands for Unitarian Universalist. The Wikipedia article is half-decent if that isn't satisfying enough.

18. dollydagger

I have become interested in the UU.....anything you would like to share about it? Also, I live in the city that has the oldest UU church in the country....Ive been thinking about going to a service there

19. GuruLite

GuruLite Member

IMO, a UU church is generally a good community, when compared to other spiritual groups. In my experience, there's a lot more dialogue between members on contemporary topics, but there's also an emphasis on personal spiritual development.

Most people generally get overclouded by the "liberal theology" present, but it's a really good spiritual community to find yourself in. There's no specific creed, and often times you have overlap with UUs who identify as Christians, Buddhists, or Pagans, and it's nice to have that kind of interfaith dialogue going on because it forces all religions present to be grow in their personal faith.

20. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Man, this is great! I thought if I wandered into the Christian ghetto I'd be nailed up by Bible thumpers and end up like that Jesus photo FedUp Amereican keeps putting up on the main Christianity site. I'm from Oklahoma, the "buckle of the Bible Belt", and I think of myself as Christian, but I'm pretty much like y'all in beliefs.

I'm unchurched but am thinking of checkin' out the UUs. I've heard they also have Jews, agnostics and atheists--whatever turns you on! Is that right?