Democrats win the house: cons take to the streets

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 6-eyed shaman, Nov 11, 2018.

1. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

It just illustrates that nihilists are actually not entirely harmless :D The Big Lebowski was a bit misleading there imo!

McFuddy likes this.
  3. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

And it wasn’t even a marmot!!! :tearsofjoy:

4. Asmodean

I wouldn't want it in the tub with me no matter what it is

McFuddy likes this.
  5. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

I always kinda felt bad for The Dude there
    He’s all relaxing
    Has his little whale songs playing
    Enjoying a joint in the tub with some candles

Ruined!

6. Or better still

7. Asmodean

The whole case of mistaken identity would be really nasty in reality. I may hope when something like that happens to me i don't have a friend like Walter help me out :grinning:

8. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Looks like Gavin is gonna sue the SPLC in a defamation case. He will win.

Defend Gavin McInnes

Slander Propaganda & Libel Center

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  9. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

EDITED: nevermind... I don't want to be a hater.

10. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Unlikely. Under the NYT v. Sullivan standard, it's hard for a public figure to win a defamation lawsuit in the U.S. The SPLC's classification is based on documented instances of misogynistic, homophobic and anti-Muslim rhetoric.The discovery process should be fascinating for the light it may shed on the Proud Boys and Patriot Prayer.

11. 6-eyed shaman

Proud of your Boy
    I'll make you Proud of your Boy
    Believe me you're in for a pleasant surprise

12. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

LOL should this be an irony alert - are you defending an Islamophobe (Gavin McInnes) with a song about a Muslim (Aladdin)

stormountainman likes this.
  13. 6-eyed shaman

Oh Beavis, you and your identity politics.

1st off, the song Proud Of Your Boy was the reason behind the Proud Boys getting their name. Gavin was at his kid’s school play, and one boy from the class sang that song, and he thought it was ridiculous.

2nd, how do you know Disney’s Aladdin is a Muslim? Just because he’s from Arabia that doesn’t mean he’s a Muslim. This assumption is just as bigoted as assuming everyone from the UK is a white Christian

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  14. 6-eyed shaman

The SPLC ran out of bigots to chase down many years ago. So they have to invent more of them just so they can stay relevant, and receive corporate donations from people like Tim Cook.

15. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Considering the superabundance of bigots in the country today, from the streets of Charleston and Portland to the Oval office, I don't think that the SPLC is in danger of running out of targets. Given the funding the bigots are receiving from billionaires like the Mercers, Charles Koch, William Regnery II and the Bradley, Scaife, Olin and Earhart families, SPLC needs all the help it can get.

16. GuerrillaLorax

Him, his crew and his affiliates are the most active and violent gang on the extreme-right. He can have fun trying to prove otherwise.

17. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

LOL - me and my identity politics, have you looked in a mirror lately, I mean come on man, I think all your arguments come back to identity.

And there is nothing that screams more of identity politics than a bunch of white supremacists chanting ‘you shall not replace me’ or some alt-right snowflakes wailing about the supposed ‘suppression’ of men.

And wow do you take these things so seriously it was just a silly aside but since you replied I suppose it only polite to give you a response rather than say running away, which reminds me are you ever coming back to those many threads you’ve left where you still haven’t addressed all those outstanding criticisms of your ideas?

He thinks the sentiments expressed in the song are ridiculous, why?

The song seems to be about someone wishing to improve themselves are you saying Gavin (and you) are against that?

Or is it just a general dislike of show tunes?

Alāʼ ud-Dīn – is a male given name which means "nobility of (the Islamic) faith" and a quick look at the people so named and they all seem to be Muslims (or of an Islamic background) . Now yes the original story confusingly begins in China but the setting seems to be Arabia and the people in it seem to be Muslims “and their conversation is larded with devout Muslim platitudes’.

It’s an assumption that Alāʼ ud-Dīn was originally a Muslim, but I think it a reasonable guess to think he comes from a Muslim background at the very least.

I don’t think it is bigoted to assume something about someone because of their name (it becomes something to chat about later) but I do think it is bigoted to discriminate because of that assumption.

I might assume someone called Mohamed was a Muslim (or of an Islamic background) but that shouldn't count against them in say a getting a job interview.

The big problem is that seems to be happening.

Adam or Mohamed - who gets the job?

Muslim names harm job chances

The thing is that people that are Islamophobic and or think Muslims want to undermine ‘western civilisation’ seem to me to be more likely to be the kind of bigoted people that would discriminate because of that assumption than other more rational people.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    stormountainman likes this.
  18. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

I went back to the original post and a question popped into my head - who are the conservatives been talked about – I mean is Trump a conservative, are the Trump base conservatives and the Proud Boys in what way are they conservatives?

What defines a ‘conservative’ these days?

stormountainman and Okiefreak like this.
  19. GuerrillaLorax