Deja Vu of the 60's?

Discussion in 'Activism' started by katiechameleon, Oct 18, 2007.

1. katiechameleon

katiechameleon Member

The other day my history teacher said that with the war in iraq, it's beginning to look like the 60's again. I thought that was really interesting. Any thoughts?

2. KL71

KL71 Yanks since '81/Fins since '83 :)

I simply wish we weren't over there.

3. katiechameleon

katiechameleon Member

Me too.
    This has been going on for so long and it seems really dumb to me.

4. Pellinore

Pellinore Member

I bet america is just planning to push their troops further to iran.

But yes, i also notice that more and more people start to realise how messed up this world is, i think iraque plays a part in this, but also people realise that our society is going the wrong way, the police state is not just a thought anymore, it is becoming reality, if it already isn't.

5. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

You won't really know that feeling until you sit around the tv on a Friday night and watch the lotto balls fall...calling up the draft numbers.

Rich kids don't have to look for exemptions through getting married or going to school or joining the National Guard. The poor kids are fighting this war.

6. earthmother

earthmother senior weirdo

Things are looking a bit familiar, but now "they" (Tyrannical Hierarchy of Evil Yuppies) are consistently pushing harder on even more people, and ultimately the people will end up pushing harder back, because we will let ourselves be pushed around to the point where it's too late to do anything else... I think we are very nearly there...

7. Cam Gold

Cam Gold Member

viva la revolution!
    its definitely a lot like the 60s
    unneccessary war, lsd making a come back, only thing is, it seems like this is the silent generation the youth are too apathetic, but hopefully some will at least pave the way for indigo children to revolutionalize..

beats to hippies
    apathy to indigos?

hmm
    history DOES repeat itself.

8. Alter-Reality

Alter-Reality Member

LSD? Where? lol... always wanted to get ahold of that.
    I've had hope as well in the Indigo Children... perhaps this new generation can do something about the state of the world... but it's going to take a revolution... perhaps even a violent one... for anything to happen. Something big is going to have to happen.

9. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

There's a new consciousness being born. Out of great disaster, great wisdom and beauty will be born.

10. The Scribe

The Scribe Member

The War in Iraq was started for false, and probably dishonest reasons. If President Bush did not lie about weapons of mass destruction he made a mistake so serious as to disqualify him for his office. The War has cost hundreds of billions of dollars. There is no end in sight.

Nevertheless, the War in Vietnam was more immoral, and the enemy was tougher. The Communists were more popular than any of the insurgent groups in Iraq. President Dwight Eisenhower estimated that 80% of the Vietnamese supported Ho Chi Minh. In Vo Nguyen Giap the Communists had a military genius Saddam Hussein never had.

Also, in the United States there was a draft. Every week over a hundred American servicemen were killed in Vietnam. If you were a young man of draft age, if you were not going to school, and if you did not have a talent that made you too valuable to the military for them to risk your life, you were probably going to fight in South Vietnam. There was a one in eight chance you were going to be killed there. There was a one in eight chance you were going to be permanently disabled.

Another difference is that there was more optimism during the 1960’s. The War in Vietnam was a problem, but the solution seemed to be obvious. Poverty also seemed to have an easy solution. No one talks about ending poverty in the United States any more.

11. Cam Gold

Cam Gold Member

indigos?

12. Amaya

Amaya Member

We had a whole 3 days in school talking about the parallels between Vietnam and this war we're in now.
    Most of my friends think that there will be a draft eventually too....
    Anyone know Alice's Restaurant Massacree?
    I told a really good friend to do that when he gets drafted... :p

13. BigSkyDocu

BigSkyDocu Member

In our eyes the revolution has begun. We are forced out of our neighborhoods by the rising costs of food and shelter. Rent is a four letter word. A movement can happen if people will sacrifice what they have and act. If you feel that it's getting out of hand in this country step up, and get together. Sing,dance,shout it out!!! Be heard. Camp in Nat'l forests. Go to gatherings and learn. Set yourselves free from the redundant lifestyle that society gives us. It's like we are looking over a cliff with clouds blocking the view below us. We only will know what's below if we take the leap. I have a feeling it's a beautiful deep lake. Just sold all of our belongings at a garage sale we held from a storage unit. Living in a tent, getting our bus soon and taking that leap. See you in the Nat'l forests my friends. We will be there. MWM

14. xexon

xexon Destroyer Of Worlds

Sing it!

You can get anything you want, at Alice's restaurant. (exempting Alice)

Then walk out.

x

15. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

The indigos are a part of it. But as I travel the world I am seeing more and more people who thirst for a change, each in their own unique way. The number of people who want a transformation is growing. There is a huge movement towards true, sincere, deep spirituality that is leaving the old sectarian ways of religion behind. Look at the popularity of teachers like Eckhart Tolle or Thich Nhat Hanh. More and more people are able to look beyond their own religion and take from other teachings to enrich their practice. We are on the brink of an evolutionary change.

16. Amaya

Amaya Member

Hey It MIGHT work!!! :D

17. GoingHome

GoingHome Further Within

What about the parallels of Richard Nixon and Bush?

Both have major problems with eavesdropping on dissidents and such.

18. freexspirit29

freexspirit29 Member

Aghh, I'm fourteen & wish these times were like the sixties. But they are not quite. In the sixties, teenagers and college students went out there to make a difference, nowadays, I noticed my peers rather just bitch about stupid things and go on myspace. It makes me very very sad.

19. NetworkwithNature

NetworkwithNature Member

20. Timo

Timo Member

Unfortunately there really isn’t a serious candidate for those who are antiwar,

It’s going to really look like the sixties when Joe Biden is president and we have a draft going. The next “Vietnam” isn’t really Iraq, rather it will be Afghanistan and or Pakistan possibly even Darfur.

As for McCain he wants to do Iran and start WWIII but he won’t be elected.