Define this

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by missfontella, Jan 11, 2005.

1. missfontella

missfontella Mama of Da Assassins

What the hell is "uber"?

2. sooty_the_kat

sooty_the_kat Senior Member

isnt it like very. like you are uber nerdy

3. moondance

moondance Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Uber
    Term with literal meaning of "above" in German. Brought to the mainstream in the early 80's by hardcore American punk band, the Dead Kennedys when using the term in the anti-Californian government song "California Uber Alles", which is a take off the German motto of "Deustchland Uber Alles", which translates to "Germany above all." The term was picked up in their native California stomping grounds by the typical surfers and "punks" and extended from there to many teenagers, the majority of which use the term online.
    From the Urban Dictionary

4. missfontella

missfontella Mama of Da Assassins

ok doekay

5. velvet

velvet Banned

The term über (it's with the little dots on the 'u' if you want to write it correctly) is indeed a German word and I think it became 'famous' from Nietzsches theory (happily, although mostly wrongly, adopted by the nazi's) of the 'über-mensch' (the super/higher level human).

Nietzsche's theory was that the Church made all the weak values more important than the strong ones. Forgiveness, obediance, submissiveness etc etc were seen as better than standing up for your rights, being prepared to fight for your life etc.. Nietzsche was pointing out that the (by evolution ways) 'better' humans had been surpressed and ridiculed by Christians as 'babaric' and 'heathen'. He was pleading that the 'über mensch' would stand up again and rule the 'unter mensch'. The Nazi's used this to point out their race as 'über' and everyone else (esp. jews and eastern european people) as 'unter'.

It has been a long time since I've came across his theory so I might be a bit off, but I think it is something along these lines.

Nowadays 'über' just means 'better' or 'very' or 'higher' or something like that..

6. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I like the word 'uber'... I've been using that word a lot lately.