Defending Reggae To White People Who Don't Like Reggae

Discussion in 'Reggae and Ska' started by Nyxx, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Nyxx

Nyxx HELLO STALKER

2. jimmyjoe1

jimmyjoe1 toker Lifetime Supporter

very interesting :ssmokeit:

3. old tiger

old tiger Senior Member

I think Burning Spear is great..:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJhUFyDZ-sE"]BURNING SPEAR LIVE - YouTube

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Yep, I was guilty of this once. Now I'm the biggest roots dub fan around... :p And yes, I agree, it's about the ongoing of the perfect (or just a really good) groove. I also like this in other repetitive genres like the 20 minute jams in stoner rock or the low tuned guitar grooves in doom metal, and also certainly the blues and blues rock. On the other hand, other relaxing and extremely chill genres without a strong groove of bass and percussion like shoegaze or other stuff that generally falls in the 'atmoshperic' corner I still find boring as fuck.
    But to return to the above quote of the article: this counts for most people and their disregard of any music genre. And of course it is still very logic and fine to ignore stuff you are convinced of it will bore you to death when you only listen to it when others (fans) push it on them because they find it great. When you check it out because of your own curiosity you may discover it is good music but you can't always make yourself interested in a particular kind of music. You have to be interested.

5. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Entertaining article.

They have a "reggae on the river" festival here, it was last weekend. I used to go every year because I love the music and the festival is pretty nice....the location, food, venders, etc. But I couldn't stand partyin with the frat boys who "love reggae music" but can only name 2 musicians- Marley and Tosh. And hell a lot of em don't even know Tosh. They've been told its cool to like Bob so monkey see monkey do. I've come to despise those rasta hats with the fake dreads

The outlets for reggae here in Kentucky are very small. I have to settle for a couple regional shows a year. Although there are a couple decent jam bands in town that tend to lean that way.

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I don't care for Peter Tosh so much either. Also not for Marley's sons like Damian or Ziggy. I can appreciate like 2 songs of Damian Marley though so it's not all bad :p I don't really get annoyed by other peoples lack of taste anymore, if they are having a good time with the music who cares if they are a little ignorant. I am still aiming to visit a good reggae festival but since I'm an elitist prick (mildly exaggerating ;)) so far I mainly enjoy the stuff I dig from recordings. Live music on itself is fun already but I for example don't enjoy 'lovers rock' or dancehall so much I would pay for a 3 day ticket when the line up doesn't interest me.

7. jimmyjoe1

jimmyjoe1 toker Lifetime Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNkr86zZaP4"]bob marley - redemption song(+ lyrics and wallpapers download) - YouTube

8. lt35

lt35 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

9. Nyxx

Nyxx HELLO STALKER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjzfpdiMdC4"]Andy Capp - Pop A Top - YouTube

10. makihiko

makihiko Official hippie since 2005

I love it, good music, makes me feel so chill and happy

11. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

12. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

It all sounds the same to me. I feel like if you hear one reggae song, you've heard them all.

13. Fixes_big_yellow_things

Fixes_big_yellow_things Members

Quite a bit variety really. I've been to jamaica several times now, you hear reggea whether your want to or not.

The modern stuff still has that melodic rythem, but... Some has a lot of dance and electronica influence, other stuff is faster, with guys rapping in patois (patois= uninteligiable jamaican english)
    Calypso music is still popular there, and that makes it in to the reggea as well.

It just comes down to having a good time, and listening to some tunes