decline of 60s style hippie spirit on forums

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by cynthy160, Apr 24, 2013.

1. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

It's something that seems to be happening on hippie-related forums as the years go by. What starts out like a 60s spirit on various hippie forums has a way of degrading over the years into something else. Not sure how to describe it. The atmosphere on some forums in its early years seems to embrace 60s style hippie values of love and peace but later degrades into the atmosphere of a weapons-ridden, warlord-run, armpit village in Somalia where people are having fights over things like guns and power. Part of the response to such an observation is the usual "if you don't like it here" thing, which offers no opportunity for discourse and tends to make things worse.

Not to sound negative or anything, but perhaps it's due to people of the 60s generation dying off and no one carrying on the spirit.

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Meh.

The 60s sucked anyway, other than for the drugs and some of the music.

3. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

Or people are living in the now.

4. QuietPerson

QuietPerson Member

I only hope I haven't and never will contributed to any decline in '60s spirit, because even at forty-five, I can see a need for a re-emergence, or a reformation, or a rebirth, or some way of rekindling of some kind of a sense of joy. I was a little child living on an army post during the hippie era, so I didn't really get to see it first-hand except maybe through my transistor radio at night (always been a music junkie). The sense I get from knowing a few hippies and hippie-oids and ex-hippies, plus the many concerts, documentaries, seeing the Woodstock site, etc., is that there really was this sense that maybe it was OK just to live life. I think we need that. A lot.

Anyway, I'm going to try not to ramble out a wall of text.

5. deviate

deviate Senior Member

That's something I've noticed too, myself included. I feel like I've lost a lot of the idealism I had when I first came around here. But I think the whole world has changed dramatically in the last 10 years. Things now are more about instability and uncertainty being blasted at us from all angles.

I'm still fairly young but between economic and political concerns, tax hikes, having to make more $ to essentially plateau and being out of balance in the work/fun spectrum, it is hard to hang onto that. Maybe I just need to smoke more ganj.

6. deviate

deviate Senior Member

I live at the beach and it's probably because of that but a ton of my friends live that way still. They go to music festivals constantly and trip for days, they don't really worry about anything. They stay positive. Most of them work in restaurants so they have flexibility and also can make decent money without putting in long hours.

I think the corporatist shift, overbearing gov't, and even social media are the largest factors that contribute to this decline. Oddly enough, most of the people I mentioned intentionally avoid all 3 of those.

7. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Agreed cynthy,

It amazes to when I see some of the stuff that has gotten posted.

But then again, I can remember people getting pissed way back before 2004 at this site and leaving because they didn't like what was going on.

8. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

I wasn't around in the 60s but I'm pretty sure things like, hate, violence, anger, and other things were around back then. The 60s weren't all about love and peace. But maybe we should ask somebody that was there.

9. deviate

deviate Senior Member

That's a good point.

10. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

I'm not a hippie and I never pretended to be one, nor do I wish to be one.

11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I've noticed that too. then again, when I first started coming here my biggest dream was to live on a commune with all my friends. Actually, that is still my biggest dream but I realize its never going to happen now. I guess people just get jaded, and the jaded people turn into the forum regulars and the regulars shoot down the ideals of any new, young, aspiring hippies who pop in here. I've actually seen that happen quite a lot.

Plus, who has time to live in a state of constant 60s nostalgia anymore? We really are living through a crazy time period.

I think this forum does still attract free-thinking, chill individuals for the most part, which is basically my loose definition of "hippie" anyways.

12. deleted

deleted Visitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs6aaaJBAv0"]Niel Young Ohio Lyrics - YouTube
    Ok.

13. MeAgain

Yes there was a lot of hate, violence, and anger back then. The difference was that the lines were much clearer.

There was still a liberal, conservative riff, but they were much more civil with one another, much more willing to compromise and find common solutions then now.

Then there was the Us and Them split. The WWII generation verses the young, under 30 crowd. But it was very easy to see who was on which side.

And a bunch of other divisions.
    But, anyway. The young of that era were very open to growth both spiritual, and intellectual. Anything that divided was basically ignored. The real Freaks were pretty much apolitical and very non-violent. The main concerns were mind expansion and socializing. Music, art, theater and books were a huge part of everyday life.

Most of the violence directed at hippies was from outside of the counterculture. There were exceptions, but they were very rare. Any hippie chick could hitchhike across the entire U.S. by herself and have very little to fear from anyone with longhair.

So anyway......

14. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

The hippy movement started as activist, not love and peace nor drug culture. That came after. Flower children were an off shoot of the movement.

The forums go through changes as the people who started the movement also changed. There became other ways to express and to facilitate change. Ironically most often by using the system to their advantage and causing change in policy.

Most on the site are not and do not identify themselves as hippies. It is a cool place to hang and share ideas for the most part.

15. antithesis

antithesis Hello

This is kind of how I feel as well.

16. antithesis

antithesis Hello

My Mom was a hippie chick and she has said that if you turned a hippie guy down for sex he was pretty much like "I demand you have sex with me or you are just an uptight prude" And lots of those seemingly peaceful longhairs were really demanding with sexual favors... kind of like guys are now. So not much changes in that respect.

17. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

People generally think the past was better. People in their 30's now are saying how the 90's were so much better. Kids now will say in 30 years how the 2010's were so much better.

18. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

I think people had more respect for each other in the past. My family's from East LA and my dad said in 60s we didn't have to worry or even think about locking the door to the house. More recently that same house got robbed twice while my dad and I were staying there preparing it for renters. As a kid I can't even count how drive by shootings I witnessed and heard over the years in that same neighborhood.

But there was also a lot of racisms and racial tensions in those days too. In fact some of the communities around LA had 10pm curfews for anybody that was not white, and if you were not white and out after 10pm is was probable cause for the cops to fuck with you.

19. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

This is exactly how I feel too. But maybe it's because I'm not a teenager anymore. Sometimes I feel old and cynical and get a little sad but more often than not I don't care. My priorities have changed, I don't want to save the world anymore so to speak, instead I focus on enjoying my life and making sure my little family is happy.

20. MeAgain

Anti,

I didn't mean to imply that people were different then, then now. And I'm not a chick, but in my circle, area of the country, girls didn't have to worry. My wife and her girlfriends would hitchhike all over the place and I never heard one girl complain about being forced to do anything.
    Quite the contrary, everyone was well respected as an individual. Most of the time sex was just something that happened. There was too much else going on.

I never saw any type of force or violence being used amongst ourselves.