Debating a life change....

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Sig, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Sig

Sig Senior Member

I once had a job offer (some time ago) from an uncle of mine to join the company he works for in Africa. The long and short of it, I'd be working "security" for a large mining company with operations across much of the continent. The pay was really, really fucking good and I wouldn't be married to a single site, but instead travel around a lot as needed. I turned it down the first time because I was just getting out of the military and wanted to be a true civy at the time. Now things have changed. I've had a lot of shit go down recently and I am contemplating a life change. I am sure if I asked about it the offer would still be there. Anyway, just a random thought of mine. Thinking out loud.

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I would do it, just for a change in scenery. But that's just me. I'd love to get out of the country and just go someplace else and start anew.

3. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

I gotta agree with Rat. If you're not attached to a significant other and don't have any kids at home, it kind of seems like a no brainer. Shit, just do it for a little while to save up some bank at the very least.

4. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

I would do it. I am also debating a life change.

5. Sig

Sig Senior Member

It is a really appealing offer, I am not going to lie. Money, travel, and the ability to hammer bodies again.

6. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

"Security" wouldn't be enslaving people to work diamond mines, now would it? Maybe I've watched Blood Diamond one too many times.

But seriously, if there's nothing holding you down, I say do it. From the little info you've provided, it seems like a good opportunity to see some shit and make some money.

7. creampie00

creampie00 If you can't DODGE it....RAM it!

do what your heart tells you Sig

8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Yeah, I'm not sure what the work really involves but if it would be an ok job even I would be tempted! Can I go with you? :biggrin:

9. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Well, your English is excellent and I am assuming you speak Dutch, which means you can probably handle Afrikaans. Sure, I'll ask about you too. lol

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Yes, that's right about afrikaans! Awesome :D :2thumbsup:

11. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

I can only handle African'ts. :(

But one time I beat up an African immigrant who attacked me. Can I go?

I once had an oppourtunity to go to Iraq and make crazy tax free monies repairing armored vehicles. I turned it down without hesitation but sometimes I regret that decision

12. PhotoDude

PhotoDude Member

If it's something you're really interested in doing, then do it.

13. Lucretia

Lucretia Member

Wow that would be an incredible experience! If I were in your shoes I believe I'd take that opportunity. Hope all works out well for you! :)

14. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Looks like that would have been fun for you

[​IMG]
    I mean, the police cant do it all ...:rolleyes:

15. acuarela

acuarela Member

I would never work for a mining company, particularly not as their security and particularly not in Africa. Human rights and all that.

16. slappysquirrel

slappysquirrel Senior Member

look up more about what really goes on over there, look up what's going on in the congo..

17. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Right, because I would by default be gunning down striking miners.

Right, because I would be automatically be abusing human rights. Can't possibly any company and their security that isn't engaged in shit like that. I wouldn't be so quick to generalize as it is a sword that cuts both ways.

Good thing the company doesn't have operations in Congo, huh?

18. lode

lode One Man Orgy HipForums Supporter

African mining does have a awful record for human rights, so it's not a surprising reaction. My initial thought was Ivory Coast hand chopping.

But Africa's a big diverse place, so I'm sure there are mining operations that don't use indentured servants.

What would the job as security involve?

19. slappysquirrel

slappysquirrel Senior Member

yeah that's a good thing lol

20. acuarela

acuarela Member

I'm not saying they are or aren't, obviously I don't know the company that you'd be working for, but it's as good as an assumption as the one we have about sweat shops. I'd say mine workers are in a far worse position. Of course I don't know anything about the specific company that you would be working for, but I think everyone that's read about the mining industry in Africa or watched some documentaries has an accurate idea of the conditions the workers are in and it's something that I wouldn't associate myself with. I feel evil enough at my job.

I'd love to get the opportunity to go travel and get paid to work in a different place and doing it in somewhere like Africa sounds really great, but that's not an industry I'd ever consider, even if it was recommended by a family member.