death sentence?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by GOB1029, May 25, 2004.

1. GOB1029

GOB1029 Member

i was just wondering what everyone thinks about the death sentence? should it be legal?

i think:
    well, first, i am a christian, and yes, i do believe in God. and i think that humans should not kill other humans. even if the person killed someone. i think that what a person does on earth is between them and God, and they'll have to suffer the consequences of their actions. i think that by sentencing someone to death, we are assuming the role of God.

how about you?

2. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

The death sentance is giving the message, "if we have a justified reason... killing is okay". well... murderers think the same thing. many killers think they too have justified reasons. So if we make it clear there is NO excuse for killing... maybe we could avoid a little violence... not a lot, but a little is worth it. I jope I make sense there... anyway im against it.

3. Andy73

Andy73 Member

By killing a murderer you stoop to their level.

4. BlackVelvet

BlackVelvet Members

I think it's wrong! They killed but what if and you know it happens, someone innocent gets on death row? My opinions, "Two wrongs don't make a right" they needta think about this..

5. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

There are really too many variables at play here. I think that a death sentence is appropriate in many instances. I believe that leaders who insite mayhem (Hitler, the former Ayotolah of Iran, Papa Duc of Haiti) should or should have paid for their behavior by having their lives taken.

I think it has to do with the magnitude of the crime. I get a little pissed off that cop killers are automatically considered for the death sentence. Some people tried offing presidents and are still alive. Go figure!

6. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

i dont think you should ever take another humans life.....no matter what they have done.

i think locking them up has a lot more pros than killing them

7. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

I hate the death penalty

8. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

The death penalty is the ultimate paradox. How can you condone murder by murdering?

So I don't agree with it.

TTFN

Sage

9. maryfairy

maryfairy flower

murder is murder. (i also wrote this in a government paper about veterans and what i thought of them... my govt. teacher is a veteran).

10. tuesdayafternoon

tuesdayafternoon Member

pure HYPOCRICY!!
    God bless the USA, Please!!

11. GOB1029

GOB1029 Member

so, it's okay to kill someone if they've killed a certain amount of people? i think that yes, they should be locked up without parole or anything. however, they need to ask God for forgiveness, or they'll be in hell for eternity, and it might just be me, but that really doesnt appeal to me.

also, "Thou shalt not kill" is one of the ten commandments. and, that's pretty specific, DON'T KILL. it doesnt matter what the circumstances are, don't do it. what gives us the right to decide when someone's life will end. i mean, even if they did it, (little cliche) that still doesn't make it right! (and another, sorta) if you've got one murderer, and then you murder them, then you've just got two murderers. alas, such is the human mind.

12. MichaelByrd1967

MichaelByrd1967 Garcia Wannabe

The only justification of murder, is letting the killer rot in jail and see what'll screw him over in the

:mad:afterlife:mad:...

13. user__friendly

user__friendly Member

Punishing a murderer, by murdering him/her?

Hypocrisy.

14. tom

tom Member

What for other crimes, such as for a child molester or serial rapist? I'm against the death penalty in other cases, but I'd be the first in line to flick the switch for these guys.

15. AutumnAuburn

AutumnAuburn Senior Member

I think some people are a waste of oxygen and they should be removed from the planet...

16. Megara

Megara Banned

i'm all for reducing the number of people killed by the death penalty each year, but i dont think we should abolish it. People like OBL should be shot. Keeping them alive is too much of a risk and not worth it in the end. I must admit though, there are some crimes that leave me with no remorse when one of them dies...i.e. those guys who dragged the black man behind their truck for miles.

17. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

I am absolutely against it, I think it corrupts our country. I don't trust the criminal justice system enough to allow them to hand out the ultimate punishment, mistakes are made and they are irreversible, not to mention the racial bias inherant in the entire system.

The death penalty makes it seem like the US is made up of bloodthirsty savages.

Life in prison is probably worse for most people anyway.

18. Megara

Megara Banned

then who is more inhumane? The judge who gives someone death or someone who gives life?

19. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

I have no problem with life sentencing, so obviously the judge who hands out the death sentence. A person in prison can be found innocent on appeal and released.

How would you like to be an executioner, talk about a job with bad karma!

20. Megara

Megara Banned

well..thats why in some cases(i.e. firing squad) they use multiple people and only one really does it, but no one knows...i think they do that with lethal injection too.

I cant see any good that could come from keeping obl in jail...i think it would be safer for americans if he were dead