dealing with psuedo curly hair

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by SilverClover14, Jul 11, 2006.

1. SilverClover14

SilverClover14 Senior Member

So, my hair is just odd. I've recently stopped using shampoos and have been doing a vinegar rinse for a pesky dandruff problem (probably would go away on it's own just due to stopping using shampoo, but just want to make sure) as well as washing with baking soda dilluded in water.

The problem is that my hair still stays in a state between curly and fluff. If I comb it straight and let it air dry, my hair is poof from shoulder to shoulder. If I just finger comb it a bit, towel scrunch, and let it dry naturally, some of it curls, but then it's surrounded by a haze of more hair that just stays frizz.

Is there any way I could get it to not do that? It's kind of really annoying. :p

2. shaina

shaina No War Know Peace

add a little olive or coconut oil to your hair

3. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

yeah, like Shaina said, you just need something to help contain the curl..

4. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

Use some conditioner after you shampoo and tease it a bit as it dries.

5. sarahstar

sarahstar Member

6. SilverClover14

SilverClover14 Senior Member

Thanks a ton! I like that naturallycurly site.. definitely has some good ideas.

Also henna- good or bad idea? I have really dark brown hair so I don't know how much color I could get out of it, but it seems like it's helped people to weigh down some of the awkward mini frizzes from shorter hairs. I don't know how much it would help or hinder the curl though.

7. sarahstar

sarahstar Member

i've spent hours on that site, i love it. and the book is awesome, at first i was kind of skeptical, but i follow what it says for the most part now (i started some stuff back in november, but only in the past few months have really noticed that i am pretty much doing most of what the book says to do)

what i do for my hair:
    wash with suave conditioner (aloe). the scrubbing with your fingers is the important part here. i know it sounds weird to wash with conditioner, but it works. i used to shampoo every day, and my scalp then produced that much oil so that i had to shampoo every day. they say if you always shampoo every three days, your scalp will adjust it's oil production to that. so basically the more you wash, the more you need to wash. when i switched to conditioner washes, i only used a gentle cleanser as often as i felt necessary. at first it was every few days and now i barely ever use it. i've used it maybe once in the past 3 months. i wash with conditioner every day or so (mostly because i sweat a lot at work, otherwise i'd probably be doing it every 2-3 days). the cleansers in shampoo are just too harsh for my hair, and my scalp is in much better condition now.

conditioner: i have two that i alternate depending on what i feel like my hair needs, and lately i haven't been rinsing it out. my favorite is aloeba from jessicurl.com. in fact, i love all of her products, and look at the ingredients, she has some awesome stuff in there. and the citrus lavender smells goood.

styling crap: i'd love to find something completely natural that works for me here, but i haven't yet. i still try new stuff all the time, though. i need a little bit of hold, so i usually end up using a gel. (there are some on the jessicurl site, i like the gelebration spray) my favorite thing ever is re:coil by AG hair cosmetics. i only use a little bit, so it lasts me quite a while.

i bet your hair is definately curly, you just don't know it yet. that was the case with me, super frizz, wacky-wavy/curly mess until i figured out what worked for it.

8. sarahstar

sarahstar Member

oh, and the number one most helpful tip you will ever receive for curly hair (at least it was for me):

do not touch it while it is drying. resist the urge.